Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt there rock/indie nights in dublin

Options
  • 04-03-2005 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Or am i out of the loop? is there that i just cant find/hear about :(

Is it just a case that rnb/dance are money spinners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Saw a poster for a rock night in porterhouse in templebar, think saturday nights

Doyles has a good mix.
    Bruxelles do metal and some indie
    Fibbers do rock\metal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

tbmc on thursdays I think is a rock night.
    whelans pretty much any night is indie/rock pub and/or club
    eamon dorans has also such leanings
    and a host of others.
    Voodoo lounge on certain nights. cant think of any others offhand, but if you keep your eyes open and check out things like the event guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

dude there are fudging loads of decent indie nights on, have u had ur head in the sand...?

doyles=brilliant-however watch ur possesions, whelans& the village-thursdays-sun, issac butts-dont know bout there tho havent been in a while but it kicked ass-check out the event guide, the odd time ul get something in tbmc or the sugar club place or

www.entertainment.ie

you might find something there...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

cant really go wrong with whelans... it's just so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

Alana wrote:
    dude there are fudging loads of decent indie nights on, have u had ur head in the sand...?

doyles=brilliant

I'm in Doyles twice a week usually and the best i hear is occasional nirvana/white stripes

maybe i am just deaf :P

anyhow thanks guys ill check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doyles is terrible music wise! Lucky there's a good vibe there or I'd never go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i was in doyles downstairs one weeknight they played lotsa good stuff, the frames, therapy?, the cure, mundy, ash, green day, white stripes, fun night. The dance place upstairs always a good mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

i was in doyles downstairs one weeknight they played lotsa good stuff, the frames, therapy?, the cure, mundy, ash, green day, white stripes, fun night. The dance place upstairs always a good mix too.

Those songs one night is great but the problem is the dj plays the same songs every time he's there. It gets really boring really quickly. I never thought there could be a limit to the amount of times you listened to "The Lovecats" but I've found my limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Upstairs Doyles on Friday the dj really does know his stuff but he seems to have to pander to the crowd a lot ( I suspect the same people ask for the same songs hence previously mentioned repetition). And yes do watch your stuff in Doyles. Ive seen wallets discarded in the toilets there before.

Whelans certainly used to be the best choice but its unbeliavably packed these days, especially on a Saturday. I mean dangerously packed. Also the Djs rarely plays anything beyond crowd pleasers on the dance floor. However the DJ in the front bar is excellent and not afraid to play new stuff.. shame no room though and he stops at 11.

Isaac Butts is closed. Fibbers has been playing the same music since 1996 but that can be fun sometimes just dont make a habit of it. Bruxelles is tiny and is probably the closest you'll get to metal in Dublin so I wouldnt recommended for indie rock people. The Oak (tomas reids downstairs) used to be amazing when Fraizer djed there but it has been very samey and messy since, but Ive not really gone nearly as much as I used to so I cant say for sure. Ive heard the Gaiety,Carnival and the porterhouse are all good. Apparently the porterhouse have a covers band on Saturdays? Meant to be good. The village is very mixed and could go from Greenday to Kylie through the night so be warned, TBMC depends on the night (havent been in there on a thursday in a long time, most of these experiences are based on Friday/ Saturdays). Voodoo was good the one time I was there but its pretty out of the way (if only I went more when I lived in Smithfield).

Frankly when it comes down to it the choice is not great especially if you want to hear something other than the inevitable Frames, White Stripes, Snow Patrol, rinse wash repeat mix that is the fad at the moment. Doyles and Whelans would be my preference just be willing to get there very early to get space and chat to the djs to get something half decent played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

new gig night
    in 'THE VAULTS' (under connolly station)
    8.30 till late
    $5/$7 at doors

usually 4 bands.

lookin to be a good regular night

sorry... THURSDAY nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

ronano wrote:
    Why isnt there rock/indie nights in dublin

Why isn't there a rock/indie forum on boards? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

IMO the only really decent place in Dublin is Whelans. There is such a lack of decent indie places in this city. In comparison to London, Dublin absolutely sucks when it comes to indie clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Bruxelles has an indie bar as you go down the stairs, its pretty cool, plays just indie, Mr Dave Grohl pops in when he;s around, then the basement is the metal chamber....went there last year, its like a dungeon and I'm not a huge fan of metal so indie bar for me, its tiny so get there early to get a seat

Advertisement