Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Economics Teaching on a Voluntary Basis

Options
  • 25-09-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Just thought that i'd throw this out - hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction.....

I'm a Home Economics teacher, qualified for the last couple of years. I've been lucky enough to find bits and bobs of jobs and this year even managed to pick up a few concessionary hours for the year. Problem is, for the last couple of years, and this year too, I've been fairly limited re. breadth of experience - I've had no senior cycle Home Economics last year and none this year either and I'm a bit worried that this lack of teaching up to LC will leave me at a bit of a disadvantage in future interviews. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any schools (in the Dublin area - where I am currently) that offer home economics as an extra subject at LC, perhaps after 4.00 pm, where I could potentially do a bit of teaching on a voluntary basis, just to be able to bump up the CV and show future schools that I have the experience at senior cycle. I've heard that a lot of LC repeat students often take up Home Economics - thought that this might be an option?? Any help/advice greatly appreciated - like I said, would love to just widen my experience to give myself a better chance in future interviews!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You have caught my attention because I could find a teacher that likes Croke Park hours easier than a home ec qualified teacher. Are you applying for jobs around the country or stuck to Dublin? Whenever I put up an ad and same for nearby schools, we are lucky to get 1 application.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

TheDriver wrote: »
    You have caught my attention because I could find a teacher that likes Croke Park hours easier than a home ec qualified teacher. Are you applying for jobs around the country or stuck to Dublin? Whenever I put up an ad and same for nearby schools, we are lucky to get 1 application.

Hi TheDriver,

Yeah in the city Mon-Fri for the year - the plus is that it's for the year so no worries about employment (even if its only short hours) until next summer. Also home at weekends (Wexford) but other than that, not in a position to travel around the country - but I suppose if it were evenings I'd go as far as Wicklow, Kildare, Meath etc. Did you know of something that might suit??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I meant full hours Home Ec positions. It surprises me to hear of a Home Ec teacher who can only get bits and bobs to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had to give up on a second HE room because we couldn't get a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Same down my end of the country...Home Ec teachers are hard to get..you need to leave Dublin OP !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

The driver - a lot of home ec hrs going for as little as 5/6 hrs. It's appalling :-(
    On education posts the rpt home ec jobs are for 6 hrs, 11 hrs and 12 hrs at the mo. Saddest part is when I saw the 12 hrs my first thought was "that's good hrs"
    Plenty of subbing to be got but actual jobs are rare as hens teeth like all subjects
    Op - would you approach a grinds school? Or deis schools in your area that may offer extra revision classes to students - I think in Cork UCC offer grinds via the UCC plus programme - surely there's similar in Dublin? On a completely different angle would you run kids camps etc at midterm to supplement your income. Or do an evening course with an etb offering sewing classes, cooking classes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Meant to add op - make sure and attend the athe workshops and agm in the coming weeks as they'll have info on this year's journal - it will help keep you up to speed on them

The driver - a lot of home ec hrs going for as little as 5/6 hrs. It's appalling :-(
    On education posts the rpt home ec jobs are for 6 hrs, 11 hrs and 12 hrs at the mo. Saddest part is when I saw the 12 hrs my first thought was "that's good hrs"
    Plenty of subbing to be got but actual jobs are rare as hens teeth like all subjects
    Op - would you approach a grinds school? Or deis schools in your area that may offer extra revision classes to students - I think in Cork UCC offer grinds via the UCC plus programme - surely there's similar in Dublin? On a completely different angle would you run kids camps etc at midterm to supplement your income. Or do an evening course with an etb offering sewing classes, cooking classes etc

Thanks happywithlife for the good advice! I've thought of the kids camp thing but reckon it'd do better during holiday time and tbh, supplementing my income isn't a huge issue at the moment. Like I said, I'd do the extra classes for free - it'll up my experience and benefit me in the long run - I've looked at a few grind schools in Dublin and contacted a few - waiting to here back from them. Problem is most of them are during the day which wouldn't suit my timetable - a few weeks ago a grind school in Dublin were offering 3 hours per week HE and I've only discovered that it was for evening work! Would've been ideal - just want to keep my hand in there with senior cycle and given that i'll probably be on the job hunt next summer again, would love to be able to show that I have experience at both levels

solerina wrote: »
    Same down my end of the country...Home Ec teachers are hard to get..you need to leave Dublin OP !!

Solerina it's not that I'm choosing to stay in Dublin, it's just that this is where I found a job for the year! My fear is that because my experience of this and last year has been so limited - predominately teaching junior cycle students - that i'll be at a disadvantage going for future interviews, particularly if principals are looking for someone to teach right up to LC - hence why I'd give tuition for free at LC level just so that I could bring that experience to interview

Advertisement