Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning irish essays word for word?

Options
  • 21-09-2014 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Just want opinions on this.

I have my own personal tailored answers (I've written them and teacher has corrected) for some of the essay topics for Irish. Would you people who done the exam recommend learning them word for word?

I have no problem with root learning answers, I can remember them quite easily after a hour or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

And that's kinda what's wrong with the LC...

Go for it if you can do it. If your question comes up, happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I'd recommend brainstorming a list of talking points for each topic with any relevant vocab and learning that as opposed to memorising everything word for word, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Magnate wrote: »
    I'd recommend brainstorming a list of talking points for each topic with any relevant vocab and learning that as opposed to memorising everything word for word, but that's just me.

Yeah, I think I'll do that instead. :) just make bullet points for every major point.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Yup that's the way Irish is taught in Ireland - "Here you go learn all these sheets off by heart you don't need anything else."

Would be better and might make Irish more useful if we were actually taught how to speak the language! After about 10+ years "speaking" Irish, the majority of LC students can't even have a simple conversation in Irish fluently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Yup that's the way Irish is taught in Ireland - "Here you go learn all these sheets off by heart you don't need anything else."

Would be better and might make Irish more useful if we were actually taught how to speak the language! After about 10+ years "speaking" Irish, the majority of LC students can't even have a simple conversation in Irish fluently

Yeah it's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

It got me an a1 in higher level (without getting the poetry section finished) so it can work. I will say, if I was to read the irish in it now, I wouldn't understand it (think alan titley's column in the irish times). I always seemed to have a problem in both English and irish of thinking on the spot what I wanted to write, so that was the reasoning behind it, out of fear of going in and not being able to think what to write. I will say, keep them as broad as possible, it'll allow you to bring in a paragraph or two from a different essay.
    for example, for an essay on youth of today, you can bring in the economy (corrector a must be pissed off about the economy at this stage), the education system, drugs etc.

While I can't really understand some of the words in the essays now (that being said, my teacher who worked in a Gaeltacht in the summer didn't either) I can still switch to irish no problem when I'm talking to my dad, the irish used in the essays were never words that I'd use in everyday conversation.
    The main advantage I found was it was an easier way to learn new vocab as well as correct grammer, than to sit down and try and learn the words individually, or the verbs individually.

Advertisement