Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabouts

• 24-08-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Why can people learn how to use them the right why. I've lost count the amount of times people have nearly hit me by not using the right lane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rubysgirl

You sure you're in the right lane?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

rubysgirl wrote: »
    You sure you're in the right lane?? :P

Yes I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People cannot learn to use them properly because every council has its own rules how to use them.

Take Mayo for example, especially Castlebar, where the rules are different from the other 25 counties. Mad Ted, Mad.

You take the 2nd and 3rd exit in the right lane(inner orbital) and the left lane is ONLY for turning left. Creates mayhem for people visiting the town for the first time because its just WRONG! :rolleyes: (Oh, Castlebar folk tend not to indicate either so forget about it)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Around UL people are like animals. Animals that can't use roundabouts. You can't use the left hand lane to go left! You can't!

Every day I see that same ****e driving. If there was a crash it'd probably go 50/50. they'd swear they came from the other exit or something.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well nobody indicates anyway. Might as well ignore it.
    Same as for roundabout rules. Since you can't bank on anyone doing it right just go by the most basic rule (give right of way) and watch possible road markings when entering the roundabout to avoid fist shaking and embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I was behind a car the other day that waited and waited for a roundabout to be completly empty and them drove the wrong way around it to turn right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I was behind a car the other day that waited and waited for a roundabout to be completly empty and them drove the wrong way around it to turn right.

Continental driver...I have no problem driving on the left hand, however whenever I approach a roundabout I have to reason for a moment as tho which direction to go. For some reasons, they tend to be more confusing than a normal crossroad if you learnt to drive in a right side driving country :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Boskowski wrote: »

Sure aren't indicators on a car an optional extra nowadays. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

GarH wrote: »

Like mirrors .......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Continental driver...I have no problem driving on the left hand, however whenever I approach a roundabout I have to reason for a moment as tho which direction to go. For some reasons, they tend to be more confusing than a normal crossroad if you learnt to drive in a right side driving country :confused:
    It's extremely difficult to accidentally drive the wrong way around a roundabout no matter what country you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Where To wrote: »
    It's extremely difficult to accidentally drive the wrong way around a roundabout no matter what country you are in.

I was worried the 1st time I drove in Germany about roundabouts, I'd only ever drove on the wrong side in the US and they don't have roundabouts, till I reached the 1st one and followed the road.

The biggest problem for driving on different sides of the road is remembering which side to go for when there's no other traffic, roundabouts naturally direct you around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Beer Baron wrote: »
    People cannot learn to use them properly because every council has its own rules how to use them.

Take Mayo for example, especially Castlebar, where the rules are different from the other 25 counties. Mad Ted, Mad.

You take the 2nd and 3rd exit in the right lane(inner orbital) and the left lane is ONLY for turning left. Creates mayhem for people visiting the town for the first time because its just WRONG! :rolleyes: (Oh, Castlebar folk tend not to indicate either so forget about it)

The roundabout in Mallow on the N20 is the same, but its well signposted, so you know which lane you should be in well in advance.

However I've seen lads blatantly ignore the signs, because of the length of the qeue in the right lane.

I saw a neighbour of my Mother do it once nearly causing a crash and I said it to him when I next met him.

"Sure", he said to me, "I'm only following the rules of the road."

Idiot grew up only 10 miles from the bloody thing

GarH wrote: »

Funny because it's true:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Beer Baron wrote: »

The rules of the road state you use a roundabout in a certain way, unless local signage says otherwise. Theres plenty of roundabouts that function differantly to the norm. A competant driver should have no problem reading and obeying signage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I must say, I've driven on the continent. I never thought about going clockwise around a roundabout in France as the entry to the roundabout naturally points your in the direction to go anti-clockwise.

Would feel very unusual to do a turn greater than 90 degrees to go around the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On my way back on to the M50 from Dundrum yesterday there was a woman sitting in her car on the outside of the roundabout facing the wrong way in the hatch marks just below the car closest to the bottom here.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.27042,-6.242567&spn=0.000643,0.001742&t=h&z=20

She didnt seem particularly fazed, just sitting there casually.I'm still tryign to think how you could end up there accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

South of Ashbourne, Meath, is a case in point of woeful roundabout use.

The off-road from the M2 is a dual-carriageway to the roundabout. So the two lanes (blue and red) are entitled to approach it.
    Using the rule of 12 o'clock (there are no arrows/signs) the blue lane may use three exits, 1, 2 and probably 3. Most use 2 towards Ashbourne itself. Red lane to use exits 3 (maybe) and 4.

At busy times a tailback can occur, so a significant minority of drivers use the red lane and try to time it to cut into the 2nd exit. An "accident" waiting to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Where To wrote: »
    Lots of drivers do so on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Seasoft wrote: »
    South of Ashbourne, Meath, is a case in point of woeful roundabout use.

The off-road from the M2 is a dual-carriageway to the roundabout. So the two lanes (blue and red) are entitled to approach it.
    Using the rule of 12 o'clock (there are no arrows/signs) the blue lane may use three exits, 1, 2 and probably 3. Most use 2 towards Ashbourne itself. Red lane to use exits 3 (maybe) and 4.

At busy times a tailback can occur, so a significant minority of drivers use the red lane and try to time it to cut into the 2nd exit. An "accident" waiting to happen!
    What about coming from Coolquay heading to Ashbourne? The signage on approach shows the Ashbourne exit (#3) as after 12, but it could still be considered as "straight on" as they're both the R135/old N2.

The ads on television are lacking (per usual). They use a perfectly semetrical roundabout, no traffic, no mention of 12 o'clock etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Boskowski wrote: »

Incorrect to say nobody indicates in fairness. Granted a fair number of people don't but lots do also. Whats more lethal than not indicating is indicating incorrectly. Indicating as if they're coming off the roundabout and they proceed to stay on it....Ive seen it happen on a number of ocassions.

Peoples incorrect use of roundabouts is the one thing that really wrecks my head on the road. In particular I despise when people on a left hand outer orbital lane cut right into the right hand inner orbital lane on top of you and cut you up...its just lazy sloppy driving

• Advertisement

How do you all feel about the traffic light controlled roundabouts. I personally think they are accidents waiting to happen.

The one on the south ring road in cork was one of the scariest roundabouts I ever tried traversing.

The one in Galway isn't much better

Advertisement