Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is this a joke ? ... Cause the FA site has crashed ?
    Luis Suarez charged again by the sweet F.A. dlvr.it/184vFp #LFC

http://t.co/NDL7ZgJJ

This is getting bizarre .. Anyone shed some light ?
    Apologies to anyone struggling to access the site at the moment. Blame The FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He needs so much more work its not even funny. Sure, he's getting a bit better, and doesn't look so out of his depth, but I really don't see what he adds to the team.
    I think he offers alot with regard to link play - he just needs to be central imo.

He's good in posession and doesn't give it away too often.

I'm happy enough with him for now - he's developing which is what I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm sure the owners' policy is to spend only what the club brings in. Any money spent in this window will affect what's available in the Summer, and I'd imagine Kenny will want as much as possible then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

spockety wrote: »
    That's definitely it.

Definitely.

The owners don't trust the manager.

Defo.

It's obvious.

I love how a perfectly valid point can be degraded with a bit of humerous punctuation.

It is not beyond then realms of possibility that the owners' trust in Kenny has fallen since he arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm sure the owners' policy is to spend only what the club brings in. Any money spent in this window will affect what's available in the Summer, and I'd imagine Kenny will want as much as possible then.

I really don't think they operate in such a restrictive fashion. I'd imagine if there's someone we want, and that player is available then we can go get him..obviously that means there's nobody we want who's available at the moment since we haven't signed anyone. But make no mistake these fella's have no problem spending their own money if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mixednuts wrote: »
    Is this a joke ? ... Cause the FA site has crashed ?

http://t.co/NDL7ZgJJ

This is getting bizarre .. Anyone shed some light ?

Yes its a joke news story. STOP READING TWITTER. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

mike65 wrote: »

Ah so thats why Dirk scored... we finally replaced his batteries :pac:

I'll get me Coates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Ben Smith from The Times, Liverpool did actually try to sign Carlos Tevez on-loan. #LFC will not be doing anything now.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

opr wrote: »
    Ben Smith from The Times, Liverpool did actually try to sign Carlos Tevez on-loan. #LFC will not be doing anything now.

Opr

Kenny wasnt joking about going after other players Man City dont want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Well now I know where i'm buying all my car batteries from now on....

If so that actually makes sense, no risk, only half the wage for less than five months, City should have agreed, he could have beaten Utd and Spurs for Liverpool and so make Cities run in so much easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If so that actually makes sense, no risk, only half the wage for less than five months, City should have agreed, he could have beaten Utd and Spurs for Liverpool and so make Cities run in so much easier!

Yeah but City have to pay half his wages if he came on loan! Looks like they would prefer him to stay in Argentina and have the running club fine or get him off the books altogether, either scenario won't cost City another penny in wages.

I admire what City are doing, they won't let him go cheap and if clubs won't pay their valuation they are happy to make an example of Tevez which leads him to go AWOL which then allows City to not have to pay any of his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭mormank

PiE wrote: »
    Except these particular housemates keep coming out and talking to him, rather than booting him out the door.

well if someone was in your house at that time spouting loads of BS I would kick him out I'm afraid but this thread isnt my house unfortunately.

almighty1 wrote: »
    Oh please, please, please stop with all this PC crap. Coloured isnt a racist term nor disparaging and wasnt even used in either context. So please stop trying to make a point of something that isnt there :rolleyes:

Jeez, the world has gone PC mad!! Having grown up as a mormon I can tell you there is nothing PC about the way ppl speak about them sometimes but I have never once read about people being up in arms about how I was spoken to or what I was called, and before anybody says anything, yes my 'people' were persecuted and killed and forced to move from their homes for many many years in the past. My point still stands, the world is PC mad!!

Anyway, so wolves on tuesday eh?? It's got draw written all over it right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

PiE wrote: »
    Except these particular housemates keep coming out and talking to him, rather than booting him out the door.

As i recall this is an open forum, in which i am free to post as and when i see fit, if you have an issue with this go bitch to a Mod.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Wouldn't want Masch back tbh - don't see what he would offer to the team when we have Lucas playing

Psst...dude, lucas is out for the season?? Hadn't you heard? At the very minimum masch would be a massive upgrade on spearing would he not? Course we would take masch back right now. It ain't gonna happen tho o no need to get your knickers in a twist. Sometimes this thread shocks me how some people can just say no to world class players without even batting an eyelid! :eek:

As i recall this is an open forum, in which i am free to post as and when i see fit, if you have an issue with this go bitch to a Mod.

Ya sure but you are like that one donkey that hangs out with all the wild ponies in that story louis CK tells about his daughter getting bit by a pony. No one knows why the donkey is there, he just is.

Jezz whats eating Willy these days ?

Your really out to get a few folk and de-rail a few threads .

Whats up man ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd have thought half a dozen top clubs have tried to loan Tevez this window. I'd be surprised if Spurs, PSG, Milan and Inter haven't tried, for example.

As kfallon has said, Man City are sticking to their guns it would seem. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I know the story about Masch is bollox but i found it strange people were saying imagine Masch-Lucas together in midfield. They were a terrible midfield pairing, well maybe not terrible but they offered very little going forward and for me one of the main reasons why we were so poor that season.

I know the story about Masch is bollox but i found it strange people were saying imagine Masch-Lucas together in midfield. They were a terrible midfield pairing, well maybe not terrible but they offered very little going forward and for me one of the main reasons why we were so poor that season.

Ah but that was the old Lucas. He is a much more complete player now and I think he would be well suited to sitting next to someone like masch and helping him break up play but getting more involved further up the pitch. He is well able to, or at least used to be while in brazil when he mostly played as an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-sign-youth-goalkeeper

Liverpool have today secured the services of Wales U19 international goalkeeper Danny Ward.

The stopper joins the Reds from Wrexham, the club he signed for as a 14-year-old, and will be based with the reserve squad at the Academy.

Ward turned in a Man of the Match performance during his senior debut in a one-off loan game for Wrexham's Blue Square Bet Premier League rivals Tamworth last season.

Internationally, Ward has played at schoolboy, U17s and U19s level for his country and featured in a UEFA qualifying tournament based in Slovakia in September 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mormank wrote: »
    Ya sure but you are like that one donkey that hangs out with all the wild ponies in that story louis CK tells about his daughter getting bit by a pony. No one knows why the donkey is there, he just is.

I'm just surprised nobody tried to turn this into something about Carroll :D

Kudos on the Louis CK reference though, think that was the first time I have seen him mentioned on Boards. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mormank wrote: »
    Jeez, the world has gone PC mad!! Having grown up as a mormon I can tell you there is nothing PC about the way ppl speak about them sometimes but I have never once read about people being up in arms about how I was spoken to or what I was called, and before anybody says anything, yes my 'people' were persecuted and killed and forced to move from their homes for many many years in the past. My point still stands, the world is PC mad!!

Anyway, so wolves on tuesday eh?? It's got draw written all over it right???

I'm kinda hoping that Liam Neeson is around. Seems just the man for a trip into the territory of Wolves:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kenny wasnt joking about going after other players Man City dont want.

Having a dig at them was a bit counter productive.

Or get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lucas is a far better player now, and the key thing is that if you have those two in the middle of the park you would A) win the battle in there and have a preponderence of possession B) provide a base that allows the third attacking midfielder (ideally Gerrard) to essentially play a free role and be as offensive as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

mixednuts wrote: »
    Jezz whats eating Willy these days ?

Your really out to get a few folk and de-rail a few threads .

Whats up man ?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully the players won't be back in Bolton mode against Wolves. They are perfectly capable of getting the finger out when they want to, and that really should be 100% of the time if they want to play for LFC imo. Tomorrow is hugely important from a reaction and result point of view. I'm more worried about that than I am about the Spurs and Utd games coming up afterwards as regards performance.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lucas is a far better player now, and the key thing is that if you have those two in the middle of the park you would A) win the battle in there and have a preponderence of possession B) provide a base that allows the third attacking midfielder (ideally Gerrard) to essentially play a free role and be as offensive as possible.

Lucas and Masch are brilliant at the same thing so youd be essentially taking away Lucas' best attributes and turning him into a player he isnt. I dont think Lucas' passing range is good enough to play that role.

In saying that id take Masch back, you can never have too many quality players in your squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lucas and Masch are brilliant at the same thing so youd be essentially taking away Lucas' best attributes and turning him into a player he isnt. I dont think Lucas' passing range is good enough to play that role.

In saying that id take Masch back, you can never have too many quality players in your squad.

Is he still with Barca, haven't heard from him in a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

For Wolves:

Reina

Johnson---skrtel---agger---enrique

adam----henderson

shelvey
    downing

kyut
    carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

although they have talked alot of shíte lately...

mccarthy claims lfc requested the game to be pushed back to accomodate transfer window deals.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7466499/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_Liverpool

eldwaro wrote: »
    although they have talked alot of shíte lately...

mccarthy claims lfc requested the game to be pushed back to accomodate transfer window deals.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7466499/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_Liverpool

Wolves coming off a 10 day break ??:o

We really need to show some intent and put the game beyond them in the first half if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I expect it was a cheeky attempt at an extra days rest rather than business.

DrumSteve wrote: »

He's in Lisbon outside Emilliano Insuas house looking at him through the window. Insua is said to be deeply concerned for his safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

(some alternative reading)

De-Panning the Scouse.

It was with some trepidation that I decided to take my ten year old son to Anfield for the League Cup semi-final second leg. Having never visited the red side of Stanley Park, I had heard many a horror story about the hostility that a visit to Liverpool can bring. What helped me decide to go was the fact that the famous old ground’s days are numbered given Liverpool’s desperate need for a spanking new stadium to rival those of Arsenal and Manchester City. The fact that it was a cup semi-final under the floodlights with an inflated away allocation made this a mouth watering prospect and one that I wasn’t gong to miss.

Of course recently, the scare stories surrounding Anfield Road have increased tenfold due to the race issues involving both Luis Suarez and Oldham Athletic’s Tom Adeyemi. Reading the reaction of some rival fans, stepping into Liverpool would be akin to attending a ‘Warriors’ like gang warfare meeting with the Nogzy, the Crocky Crew, Combat 18 and the Ku Klux Klan all in attendance.

I arranged to meet an old mate who is Liverpool born and bred. I’ve not seen John for the best part of a decade and thought it would be an ideal chance to meet up, chat about nights out of the days when we were both young and single and use his knowledge of the area to find a quiet, safe spot to park with the chance of finding my car in the same condition I left it in. On the day before the match, John advised me to hide any hint of sky blue on both myself and the lad. It didn’t fill me with confidence that the night would be an enjoyable, worry free event.

I needn’t have worried. We parked on the Everton side of Stanley Park on a side street just off County Road. There were no scallywags asking if they could “mind your car mate?” and we had a short walk through the Anfield estate towards the ground. We stopped at a pub imaginatively called “The Twelfth Man” (come on Liverpool, more originality needed please) and due to the plan to keep my Salfordian accent under wraps, I happily allowed my tour guide to get the lagers in.

With Scouse John queueing at the bar, I thought it a good time to text the missus to let her know we’d arrived and were near the ground. After all the all the meticulous planning including tucking my City shirt in, zipping up my Boca Juniors jacket and keeping my big gob shut, I managed to out myself as the enemy in a new and imaginative way. As I unlocked the keypad on my phone, the gold eagled crest of Manchester City appeared, spinning away with the Etihad Stadium as a backdrop and sending me into a frenzy as it went. I scanned the pub to try to spot the first flying pint glass. Nothing. Not a clenched fist raised in anger. The only response my infiltration drew was from one of the two thirty something thugs to my right, one of which having spotted my screensaver leant in to his accomplice and shrugged “****ing hell, he’s brave coming in here la, d’yer wanna gerroff to the ground?”

We had another pint and set off into the cauldron of hate known as Anfield Road. I stopped at a badge stall to add a Liverpool crest to my growing collection. I told the vendor I wanted an ’80′s retro Liverpool badge. Rather than chase me away down the street for even having the audacity to speak with an Eccles twang, he scanned his cork pin board and found me a rather splendid badge much to my liking. We left John at the corner between the Kop and the Main Stand, arranged to meet at the same spot after the match and headed towards the Anfield Road stand that was housing us away fans.

A brief stop for a few moments’ silence at the Hillsborough memorial made me reflect on the devastation brought to families across Merseyside. People reached out to place a hand on the marble and wiped tears from their eyes. My lad asked why they were touching it. I could only guess that these poor people were directly affected by the tradgedy.

We got in the ground ten minutes late due to some piss poor organisation from the Merseyside club and saw the first tense scenes of the night as City fans became increasingly frustrated at being outside whilst the action was going on inside.

Once in the ground I have to say I enjoyed the atmosphere and admired the scene before my eyes. The home fans are spoken of in glowing terms by all quarters in the national media for having a unique atmosphere that is unrivalled in world football. A load of old bollocks. They sing at the start, they sing for a good ten minutes after a goal and they sing when Steve Gerrard does something half decent.

When injury time is almost up and the game looks to be in the bag, a rousing rendition of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is aired. Now usually, I despise this terrace anthem. I mute the telly whenever Liverpool are on the box as the teams walk out. Last night though, there was no mute button to be pressed. All I could do was watch in awe as all four sides of Anfield held their scarves aloft and sang their hearts out. Don’t tell anyone but it was quite emotional.

The final whistle sounded, the Scousers erupted and a female steward offered a helpful piece of advice to get my lad out of the ground as quickly as possible in case of any mither. This was the third time in half an hour she’d gone out of her way to be nice. She’d already told George (my son) that she wanted us to win the league and not to be too down if City lost the match. We left the ground and walked back around to the Kop, met John and had a pleasant stroll back to the car.

I found Anfield to be one of the most enjoyable matchday experiences of my City watching career. The place is traditional, hostile and steeped in history. The home fans are ridiculously blinkered whenever there is a refereeing decision to be made but maybe that’s why they seem to recieve more decisions than away teams at Anfield.

All in all, I walked away from Liverpool with a revised view of the club. Maybe a few feral youths who attach themselves to the club drag the name of Liverpool through the mud. Maybe the club, from top to bottom, could have handled the Suarez affair a lot better.

Let’s not tarnish the reputation of an entire stadium full of people because of the misguided actions of a minority though. For once, I’m going to rise above the Scouse bashing and form my own opinions of the club and on Wednesday night’s evidence, it’s a great place to watch football.

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/index.php/2012/01/26/de-panning-the-scouse/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wouldn't be to sure about that. Here's a video of him against Fulham and he makes some excellent passes so clearly the ability is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yup still with Barca, though playing centreback most of the time i've seen him and not doing badly

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be to sure about that. Here's a video of him against Fulham and he makes some excellent passes so clearly the ability is there.

Yeah he's getting better but could he produce that level of passing week in week out? I'm not sure. Anyway its all hypothetical really. What would people think about a Lucas Henderson midfield? Is it the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

daithijjj wrote: »
    Once in the ground I have to say I enjoyed the atmosphere and admired the scene before my eyes. The home fans are spoken of in glowing terms by all quarters in the national media for having a unique atmosphere that is unrivalled in world football. A load of old bollocks. They sing at the start, they sing for a good ten minutes after a goal and they sing when Steve Gerrard does something half decent.

This is true, alas, your CL semis at Anfield against Chelsea and the like are few and far between.

Just saw Gabby Agbonlahor pop up in a Liverpool transfer rumour. Hopefully it's as truthful a rumour as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

5live wrote: »
    Yup still with Barca, though playing centreback most of the time i've seen him and not doing badly

Could be wrong, but think at one point Guardiola said that Mascherano was his best centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

daithijjj wrote: »
    (some alternative reading)

De-Panning the Scouse.

Let’s not tarnish the reputation of an entire stadium full of people because of the misguided actions of a minority though. For once, I’m going to rise above the Scouse bashing and form my own opinions of the club and on Wednesday night’s evidence, it’s a great place to watch football.

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/index.php/2012/01/26/de-panning-the-scouse/

Most fans that know anything about football, know that the majority of fans of any club are usually tarnished by the few.

The above post sounds exactly like the kind of response Blackburn and their fans got in 1995 when they lost at Anfield but won the league and shows the deep resentment/rivalry between United and Liverpool. My point is that City v Pool games are not nearly as competive (especially among fans) as United v Pool games that are a completely differant beast.

I was at a United v Liverpool game at Old Trafford and even as a United fan I was intimidated by some of the guff by the United fans. My dad's friend whos a pool fan, vowed never to goto a Liverpool v United game at Anfield after his experience. . I was also at United v Liverpool at Cardiff in mid 00s (stuck in the pool end) and the banter is seldom innocent like Dalglish likes to suggest.

Incidentally, I have been at Old trafford (Bolton game), where there was trouble in the away stands and the police were beating down a bunch of fans. There was a huge police presence after the game and the Bolton fans were shipped very quickly out of the ground. Nothing was said on tv (there is a good PR spin being done) and I know people who have similar stories.

It might be less aggresive then what went on in the 80s but its still disgusting rage none the less. . There is something wrong with the culture of soccer as if you goto rugby or GAA games you can see rival fans happily mingling without trouble. I blame the culture of cheating that starts from the top, it just attracts and excuses bad actions/incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Better restaurants in London...

pfffffft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd break my b0llocks laughing if we get Tevez. I couldn't care less either way, but I do think it's hilariously unlikely.

Even if he were available, and forgetting about all the baggage he carries with him, when would he be fit to play? He hasn't trained with a club in months, and even if he was training himself while away, it probably wouldn't constitute match fit. However, it is hard to forget about the immense amount of baggage he has. Imagine the reception a Liverpool team containing Suarez ad Tevez would get at OT though? Nearly worth it just for the hatred I'd say, but hard to be in favour of it really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement