Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 week old cocker spaniel with entropia

Options
  • 17-08-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

we have had 6 beautiful pups from our girl Millie. One of the pups has had a sore eye for the past 8 weeks, been to vet 5 times with her, last week they stitches down her lower eyelid in a bid to fix the problem.. we are still cleaning goo out of her eye twice a day.. we are very worried that she will loose her sight in this eye .. anyone with any experience in this field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If you keep up with treatment and the surgery is a success, you should have no problem. However, as the pup is still growing, it may need further surgery depending how severe the entropion is. Monitor the eye for cloudy patches as these can be early signs of an ulcer. If left untreated, the ulcer can result in a rupture in the eye. Has the vet stained the eye for you? Stain can show the extent of damage to the eye surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Normally the surgery works very well but I would have thought the vet would have waited till the puppy was a bit bigger as sometimes when the dogs head grows, it needs to be done again.

You have got excellent advice above, if you are still not happy take the puppy back to your vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Knine wrote: »
    Normally the surgery works very well but I would have thought the vet would have waited till the puppy was a bit bigger as sometimes when the dogs head grows, it needs to be done again.

You have got excellent advice above, if you are still not happy take the puppy back to your vet.
    If the Entropion was very bad, the vet was correct to do it now . It's a very painful condition

I know how painful the condition is, I have a breed of dog that is prone to it. As this condition is known to be hereditary. It is important not to breed from these dogs again.

Dogs operated on as puppies tend to need surgery at a later stage. If your puppy's eye is still very sore, I would consult your vet. They generally dont lose the sight in the eye but repeated irritation can cause other issues that may affect their sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 buddhababe

Thanks Guys,

we had her to vet this evening , he vet stained her eye and there is an ulcer on it.. we have just been advised to keep putting the drops in until monday and she's booked in to have more stitches ... The Vet's have not operated on her yet, they will not make any incisions until she is at least 1 year old.. They will only try to relieve the comfort by stitching down her lower eye to try and train her lashes out..

Knine do you mean do not breed from this particular pup or her mother?? the other 5 pups are fine, no issues with any of them..

thanks for all the advice.. it is much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Hya

Yes I would most certainly not breed from this bitch, the sire or any of the pups even if they appear fine as this is a hereditary health issue.Some affected dogs dont show symptoms until they are older so other puppies may also be affected.

Its a chance not worth taking as it is a very distressing conditon for the dog. I also as a responsilbe breeder take liability for any puppies born with hereditary disorders.

Advertisement