Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Ice Hockey?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the Ice Hockey starts in the Winter Olympics and for how long its on for? Its been an age since I've seen any decent hockey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

dceire wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Ice Hockey starts in the Winter Olympics and for how long its on for? Its been an age since I've seen any decent hockey.

The men's hockey starts on Monday. I'd recommend Eurosport as in 2006 BBC only showed the final live (unless you had the red button).

ESPN America has the Stanley Cup by the way in case you want to see some world class hockey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

is there any way of watching the hockey? anything will do.

Some of the guys on my team are candian, the 1 is america, looking for a session on saturday night. Even if its over a laptop screen!

Id like to watch the canada game on thursday aswell if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

BBC have been showing the women so far (well, I switched on during Canada-Switzerland yesteray), so I'd assume they'll show the men.
    This website usually does the trick though http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=olympicwintergames

Quick question. Which is more prestigious in International hockey, the Olympics or the World Championships?

EDIT: just wanted to note my jealousy of you, red ice, for playing :D. I'm planning on buying a pair of roller blades to learn to skate, the pessimism/mockery when ever you say "I''d like to play ice hockey" is annoying!

you will pick up a cheap pair of hockey skates for 60 quid that will get you skating on ice. I got a pair for the gf a few months ago and they are grand for it.

lace em up and hit the learn to skate programs, give it 2/3 months and youl have the basics down to play in an ice hockey team. They even have gear you can use if your shy on it!

ps, thanks for the links!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

StevoTG wrote: »
    Quick question. Which is more prestigious in International hockey, the Olympics or the World Championships?

The Olympics would be considered the 'most prestigious'. This is the one time every four years that the NHL players are aloowed to compete as a whole.

The World Championships are held during the middle of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (which run from April - June) each year. Most of the top countries are missing their top players during this run.

There is a hockey 'World Cup' that has only taken place twice in the past 14 years. This is played on the smaller NHL ice surface and is geared more towards the North American game.

Supposedly, this will be the last Olympics in which the NHL players will be allowed to compete. Although, several prominent Russian players (Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin) have come forward saying that they will compete for their homeside in the 2014 games in Russia.

• Advertisement

Supposedly, this will be the last Olympics in which the NHL players will be allowed to compete. Although, several prominent Russian players (Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin) have come forward saying that they will compete for their homeside in the 2014 games in Russia.

Surely thats impossible. Those guys have as much right as anyone else to be playing for their country

Cheers for the advice and info lads.

I'd hope the players have the final say in whether or not they get to play, having the likes of Ovechkin speaking up is a plus. A big name like that should hold some weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Its all on BBC but only on the red button. So far I've seen Canada -v- Norway, Canada -v- Switzerland and Russia -v- Czech Rep. The big Canada -v- USA game is on BBC in about 10mins and I cant wait. Russia have impressed me the most so far.

I don't have ESPN and probably wont have anytime soon but I am heading to Canada for a year in the summer so I'm hoping to get well into it over there and hopefully catch a few live games too.

Where can you do these learn to skate courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Highlights of pretty much everything can be found here:
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,859 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Canada/USA game was quality. Canada set up a grandstand finish through Crosby but the Americans scored a late goal to seal it 5-3.

• Advertisement

Good game last night, Canada are going to have it tough now having to beat Germany, Russia and probably Sweden just to make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

7-3 for Canada versus the Russians - not too shabby!

Canada were immense! Best performance of the tournament so far. Could be a cracking final -v- USA if they both come through their semi's.
    I was delighted to see Luongo in goal, he deserves it.

Great game alright definitely the best from the Canadians so far but Russia were disappointing. Roll on a US - Canada re-match in the final, although Finland could be tricky enough for the US.

Maybe I was a bit hasty in saying it was the best performance of the tournament so far. I've only seen clips, but by all acounts it seems as though Slovakia's 4-3 win over Sweden was a fantastic perfomance in a great game.

red_ice wrote: »
    Surely thats impossible. Those guys have as much right as anyone else to be playing for their country

NHL players have only been involved in the Olympics since the Nagano games. They are under contract to their respective teams and are in season during the Olympics. The NHL has had to re-arrange the entire leagues schedule in order to accomodate these athletes. The change in schedules has created some unfavourable situations (back-to-back games, travel nightmares) for many teams (expecially Western Conference teams where the travel distances are considerably higher than the Eastern Conference).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

red_ice wrote: »

The problem is that the NHL might not release their players (or at least not schedule the season with an Olympic break). This means any players who want to go will either give up their money for that time, or be in breach of contract. I'm not all that familiar with how the NHL/IIHF agreement works, but it could even be that any players who aren't cleared to play, wouldn't be eligible.

With players like Ovechkin, they at least would have some leeway if the league didn't release players because he's good and influential enough to work out a deal with the Capitals (but even this is a gray area regarding insurance and the player's association etc.)

It would be a huge mistake not to go, especially when so many of the players would want to take part. If the NHL really wants to grow the game, there are few better stages than the Olympics. They can schedule European games all they want, but I can tell you that the amount of attention hockey is getting in Slovakia and Finland right now because of games in Vancouver outweighs any NHL game that is played in Bratislava or Helsinki.

USA v Canada on Canadian home ice for the Gold Medal on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

USA v Canada on Canadian home ice for the Gold Medal on Sunday.

is the bronze match on bbc and what time.

also what time is the final on

It looks like a 3:00am GMT start for the Bronze Medal game.

No idea who is going to carry the game in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Only Eurosport will be showing it I think. Though there should be no problems finding a stream of the action on myp2p. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall asleep after the first period.. but I'll be sure to get some caffeine in to me for the final tomorrow :D
    dceire wrote: »
    Where can you do these learn to skate courses?

Smithfield in Dublin run the learn to skate programs from November to January, I think. Dundalk is the only year-round rink that I know of. Dublin could really do with a permanent facility, as could Cork. If there were a permanent rink in Dublin with hockey programmes, the pool of players to choose from for the Irish national team would probably double within 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

ya this country could do with more permanent rinks. thers loads of demand a christmas time. would love to play ice hockey

cena wrote: »
    ya this country could do with more permanent rinks. thers loads of demand a christmas time. would love to play ice hockey

Ice time is very expensive, not to mention the costs for equipment. There would need to be a much bigger interest in order for these rinks to break even.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

BBC and Eurosport will be showing the final tonight, at least it's on at a reasonable time 20:15!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

:D
    CANADA WINS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

That was hugely exciting throughout. Have to feel for USA after a great comeback.

Kudos to the Canadian crowd, gave great respect to the Americans at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just back from the Woolshed Bar in Dublin. Absolutely incredible atmosphere there. About 400-500 Canadians there, place jam-packed, noise levels defening beyong belief! They really do bring a whole new meaning to the world fanaticism!I really dont think anybody here could possibly begin to understand it until they have witnessed it! The place absolutely erupted when Crosby got the winner, and the place didnt quieten down one bit for 10 minutes or so! It was a continuous roar! I thought the building was going to fall down!!!

Absolutely delighted for Canada! They have given us this great game and for that reason alone I am delighted they got the chance to win on home ice!!

Feel sorry for Ryan Miller, he put in an incredible performance to keep the USA in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

cena wrote: »
    Why?! When the one's we have are struggling to stay open due to lack of business?!

04072511 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Ryan Miller, he put in an incredible performance to keep the USA in it!!

Two best players in the tournament:

1) Ryan Miller for the USA
    2) Jonathon Toews for Canada

• Advertisement

RichTea wrote: »
    Kudos to the Canadian crowd, gave great respect to the Americans at the end.

Kudos to the fans of Vancouver.

If this was in Edmonton, you would have heard 'boos' for the USA National Anthem.

I am absolutely over the moon seeing Canada play the USA in the Final. I thought the O-ficiating was sub-standard at best in the game. The 1st USA goal was clearly offside. Obstruction/holding penalties were overlooked (clearly favouring Canada). McCleary was much quicker blowing the whistle for Luongo blowing the whistle freezing the puck (even when the puck was in sight - slow to blow in when it was frozen by Miller).

I said it earlier in a post (that without question) Ryan Miller (USA) and Jonathon Toews (Canada) were the two best players in the tournament.

Sidney Crosby may be the face of this current team, but Jonathon Toews is the future of Canadian Hockey.

Advertisement