Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Test Query

• 22-01-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to take a driving test soon. My car does not have an nct at present. I am wondering:

1. how long, on average, does it take to get an nct test done?

2. If i havnt got an nct on my car, but i have got a valid confirmation of application for nct test, can i still take my driving test in my car?

cheers

dan.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

djt0607 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to take a driving test soon. My car does not have an nct at present. I am wondering:

2. If i havnt got an nct on my car, but i have got a valid confirmation of application for nct test, can i still take my driving test in my car?

cheers

dan.

1 Ring them and see i think it could be down to about 2weeks now

2 A confirmation is not good enough,you will have to have a valid disc,technically the car should not be on the road,and your insurance could be void,in a PC correct world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It takes about half an hour or less

You will not be allowed do the driving test without one, confirmation of a booking will not do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

djt0607 wrote: »
    Hi,

cheers

dan.

No, before your test will even start, the tester will check for a valid NCT disc, insurance disc and tax disc and your provisional licence. He/she will check that these all all in order. Then he/she will do a quick check of lights to make sure indicators, etc, are working.

If you don't have a valid NCT cert, you will fail the test before the tester even gets into the car and they check they 100% of the time.

The test itself takes around 40 minutes and you'd get a cancellation in a matter of days if you had to...

EDIT: And don't rely on the tester "being nice". They will walk away if you have any paperwork out of order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

I got my car NCT done today, it took me about 20 mins or less.

u'd better call them on 1890412413

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If you don't have a valid NCT cert, you will fail the test
    Apologies for being pedantic but the candidate wouldn't 'fail' the test. The test would be abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

[Disclaimer]I'm not advocating this, it's just a funny story[/disclaimer]

I remember a friend of mine went to sit his test, and he wouldn't leave him take it because the car was out of NCT. My friend tried to convince him he had he booked in for the next day, but he took none of it. So off he went and reapplied for his test, got it very soon again. He took out his nct disc and photocoppied it, photoshopped it to have an extra two years, printed it and cut out the shiny bit, (the authenticity bit) and pasted it on. Worked a charm.

As regards the OP, as you can see they won't leave you do it without an nct. It's normally hard to get an nct on short notice, but i would ring them up each day looking for a cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

It depends on where you're applying for your NCT. I was able to get my car tested within 4 days of booking. If you book online you can see all of the available dates in the centre of your choosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Actually, some interesting facts on www.ncts.ie

http://www.ncts.ie/test_stats.html

Apologies for being pedantic but the candidate wouldn't 'fail' the test. The test would be abandoned.

You know what the wise man once said, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"...

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    It takes about half an hour or less

You will not be allowed do the driving test without one, confirmation of a booking will not do.

Wants to know how long to get a test,not how long to do the test:)

• Advertisement

thetyreman wrote: »
    Wants to know how long to get a test,not how long to do the test:)

Ring 1890 412 413 immediately after 8AM every morning and also at around 7:30-7:45PM and have your reg no and owner name & address to hand and if you are prepared to be flexible with regard to the test centre, you'll usually get a date within the next week or two...

Advertisement