Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Futuristic cars

Options
  • 23-11-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey im going to start the ball rolling with this weird looking car.
    just add more.
    exocars3dm.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Can we talk about cars that looked futuristic in the past? If so, how about this for a fall from grace
    fuego.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Wow i love that first car, presumably a concept? What make is it? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

alias no.9 wrote:
    Can we talk about cars that looked futuristic in the past? If so, how about this for a fall from grace
    God, I used to love the Fuego, it was a great-looking car in it's day. I reckon it still would be with a bit of a facelift.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Not sure abt first car but shure we can look at cars that used to look futuristic in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alfa Romeo 33.2 concept designed by Pininfarina in 1969.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

cabla wrote:
    Not sure abt first car but shure we can look at cars that used to look futuristic in the past
    Whoo Hoo! Another reason to post a pic of my car! :)
    image001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Whoo Hoo! Another reason to post a pic of my car!

Ah ha! So I did spot you Sunday 2 weeks ago. :)

Nice car, very well maintained.

very nice car and i like the alfa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Audi Le Mans
    audi_lemans800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

alias no.9 wrote:
    fuego.jpg

They got it spot on if you ask me, add a picnic table sized spoiler on the back and it looks just like yer average skanger banger of today!!!!

That 69 Alfa is damn nice though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hey DS, pity about the Porsche reg :D:D:D
    Lovely car, a credit to you. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DS, does that have the steer-around-the-corner headlights? That's one of the funkiest features I've ever seen on a car. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i like the car ford had for the concept becides the doors the shape of it looked excelent .

that audi looks good 2

The audi is savage!!!!!

p19gs.th.jpg

check it out!!!!
    p2de.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

For far-out futuristic machines Lotec GmbH are pretty hard to beat
    http://www.lotec-gmbh.de/seiten/

yes i agree they do look futuristic

Now this is futuristic!!!!!
    futuristiccar5mv.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

nuvola1.jpg

I love this car, looks very good. Designed in 1996 by Walter de Silva, who is now the Seat design chief if I'm not mistaken

• Advertisement

jayok wrote:
    Ah ha! So I did spot you Sunday 2 weeks ago. :)
    Nice car, very well maintained.
    Cheers - her blemishes show up close, believe me. I hope I wasn't picking my nose....

Apart from my obvious bias, the motoring journalist LJK Setright reckoned that the DS was the most futuristic car ever, because it was so far ahead of its time when launched. He reckoned that no other car before or since has been or will be that far ahead of the game. For example:
    Co-effienct drag of 0.34 in 1955. This was not bettered until the Sierra in 1982 (even the CX has poorer aerodynamics)
    1st mass-produced car with powered disc brakes as standard.
    Self-levelling hydropneumatic suspension - completely unlike anything else then or since, except younger Citroëns, of course.
    Centre-point steering geometry - the car tracks straight regardless of the condition of the road or tyre.
    Directional driving lamps in 1968 - only now are they becoming a feature on mass-market cars (although Tucker and Tatra did it in the 30s)
    Extensive use of nylon in the material for dash and trim - in 1955, nylon was a very expensive and adventurous material to work with.
    Extensive use of aluminium and fibreglass - the bonnet is still the largest single pressing of aluminium used on a mass-market car. The original DS also had a aluminium bootlid and aluminium or fibreglass was used in the roof.
    There are many other "firsts" and some feats of engineering both baffling and astonishing throughout the car.

Granted, modern cars are much more advanced in their execution, but none have represented the quantum leap or revolution that the DS did when launched.

Anyway. I think it's class :)

Kersh wrote:
    Hey DS, pity about the Porsche reg :D:D:D
    Tell me about it. I reckon the owner of 72 D5 20 drives a Porsche 914 :)

@Ken Shabby - It does have directional driving lamps. They're only on with the heads, so they're rarely in use. My friend lives at the top of the dublin mountains, with 6 hairpins on his driveway and no streetlights. They're cool then :). What's mildly interesting is that the modern lexus/BMW/Merc/Opel/Citroen directional lights (all apparently made by Hella) only have a sweep of about 15 degrees either side. The DS has about 75 degrees!

@Ken Shabby - It does have directional driving lamps. They're only on with the heads, so they're rarely in use. My friend lives at the top of the dublin mountains, with 6 hairpins on his driveway and no streetlights. They're cool then :). What's mildly interesting is that the modern lexus/BMW/Merc/Opel/Citroen directional lights (all apparently made by Hella) only have a sweep of about 15 degrees either side. The DS has about 75 degrees!

My dad's MR2 has them in the spot lights, he leaves them off, and just leaves the spots on dead ahead

Squirrel wrote:
    My dad's MR2 has them in the spot lights, he leaves them off, and just leaves the spots on dead ahead
    Cool - I didn't know the MR2 had these. They actually rotate the light with the steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Forget any other mainstream manufacturer concept cars - if you want real out-of-his-mind future, Google-Image "Sbarro" (linkie here) :)

Samples:

what he does with a Golf:
    sbarro-foliatec.jpg

what he does on his own:
    sbarro-challenge301.jpg

when he goes 2-wheels:
    sbarro.jpg

An acquired taste, to be sure (not quite mine - although his Citroën C2 V6 :eek: sounds fun!)

ambro25 wrote:
    Forget any other mainstream manufacturer concept cars - if you want real out-of-his-mind future, Google-Image "Sbarro" (linkie here) :)

Indeed - Sbarro was one of the first guys to take a long hard look at the wheel since Thag in 10000bc. His redesign, while not particularly practical, is very elegant.
    sbarro_real3.jpg

Anyone for Tron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

TRON! Jaysus! I must see if I can get that on DVD!

EDIT: You can! and it's cheap!

Cool - I didn't know the MR2 had these. They actually rotate the light with the steering?

Yeah, the switch for the spots can be set in the middle (off), up (on fixed straight ahead), or down (on with swivel)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Paul (MN) wrote:
    TRON! Jaysus! I must see if I can get that on DVD!

EDIT: You can! and it's cheap!

Speaking of Tron, does anyone remember Automan and his spaced-out neon Countach?
    (And further speaking of the Countach, another work of genius by the god Marcello Gandini is the Citroen XM, which was pretty futurisitic in it's day.
    See http://www.autozine.org/Styling/Styling2.htm for proof of his greatness)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

durango1.jpg

Fans of Kubricks "A Clockwork Orange" will remember the Durnago 95
    "The Durango-95 purred away real horrorshow - a nice, warm, vibraty feeling all through your guttiwuts. Soon, it was trees and dark, my brothers, with real country dark.
    We fillied around for a while with other travellers of the night, playing hogs of the road. Then we headed west, what we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultra-violence."

Didn't Top Gear try to rescue this one off car last year?

Advertisement