Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avast and Steam

Options
  • 06-08-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭

anybody else having problems, comes up as malware.

cant play or do anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Rossi IRL wrote: »

cant play or do anything

I had a problem alright. You may see the error "cannot find find steamclient.dll" or something similar when updating. The trick is to disable avast while that update is going on.

If you disable Avast, steam works fine. I'm sure they'll update their definitions shortly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rossi IRL wrote: »

cant play or do anything

I had a problem alright. You may see the error "cannot find find steamclient.dll" or something similar when updating. The trick is to disable avast while that update is going on.

If you disable Avast, steam works fine. I'm sure they'll update their definitions shortly though.

its gettin on my nervs now, ill disable it and get on with my farm sim

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I had the same problem as well yesterday. I reset the PC updated avast then ran steam which updated the client and sorted it out. Plenty of other people had the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I added my Steam folder to the exclusions list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good free alternative which has no problems with Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Thought I was the only one. Mine said it couldn't load the SteamUI.dll or something like that but I just removed it from the Virus Chest in Avast and it sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gigabytes

Add C:\Programs\Steam\*
    To the exclusion list in avast, our whatever your directory path is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Jeysus people, avast is still being installed???? Get rid of that ****E and use either Microsoft Security Essentials or Commodo Internet Security/AntiVirus, both free, and both actually WORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Avast program update fixes this, no need for exceptions etc.

Advertisement