Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail - front suspension ball joints

Options
  • 25-09-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriends car failed the NCT on this, ball joints on the front passenger side. I wasn't talking to the NCT guy for long but I presume this means I have to replace the entire lower control arm , and not the ball joint on the track rod ends. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It would help to know what car you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

make and model of car is needed before i could give a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

Oh yeah sorry it's a 1997 nissan almera gx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

30H!3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My girlfriends car failed the NCT on this, ball joints on the front passenger side. I wasn't talking to the NCT guy for long but I presume this means I have to replace the entire lower control arm , and not the ball joint on the track rod ends. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

It refers to the control arm ball joint alright. If it was the track rods the report would have stated outer track rod or inner track rod (as it did on mine).
    Perhaps some one else will have the answer as to whether or not you can replace the ball joint itself without replacing the entire control arm, but a quick search on the web suggests it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Usually you can replace the ball joint seperatly but it might be less hassel to replace the complete arm, as your probably going to have to take it off anyway to get the ball joint off, and they can be hard to get off at time's espically if there not bolted on some are rivited on which means cutting/drilling them off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

If you are doing it yourself its easier to replace the whole arm/wishbone. If i remember correctly the balljoint is splined into the wishbone and its not easy to replace without the right gear. Make sure that you only fully tighten the inner bolts when the car is on the ground though as the inner bushes won't last if you lock them with the car jacked up and the suspension fully extended. If you don't have access to a pit this can be done by driving the car onto a high step, with suitable safety precautions being taken, and locking up the inner bolts the last few turns necessary from underneath.

Advertisement