Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand Held Speed Cameras

• 18-06-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

Apologies if this topic has been done before but cant seem to find any definitive answers .

question is do you have to be pulled over in order to recieve a ticket/penalty points , Appreciate any one who has experience because i came out of port tunnel heading south bound towards East link toll bridge doing about 56 km/h , it was only when i got a bit closer to bridge i noticed a gard with a hand held speed camera , i should have slowed down right at the junction with sheriff street as there is a guard in that spot regularly ........ thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

If you are caught speeding by a fixed camera, eg mounted at the side of the road or in a vehicle then you don't have to be stopped to get done for speeding. If it's a handheld camera then you must be stopped to be given the fine & points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Simple answer, DONT BRAKE THE SPEED LIMIT! :rolleyes: Especially from October on, with these new privatised mobile Gatso cameras. Its going to be like clamping!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

jock101 wrote: »
    Simple answer, DONT BRAKE THE SPEED LIMIT! :rolleyes: Especially from October on, with these new privatised mobile Gatso cameras. Its going to be like clamping!:eek:

First i've heard of this? whats that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Stiffs wrote: »
    First i've heard of this? whats that all about?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1120/breaking54.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,514 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Simple answer, DONT BRAKE FOR THE SPEED LIMIT! :rolleyes:
    FYP :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

you are not obliged to comprehend/understand or comply with these "private firms" a contract is needed in commerce to have a valid agreement...you have no contract with them and are a flesh and blood man.

If you get a "fixed penalty notice" send it back asking them to provide you with an copy of the contract binding you and them in a aggreement, a unilateral agreement is not acceptable... Also ask them are you obliged to pay a "notice", usually if you owe someone money you get an invoice..ask them for an invoice signed stating what it is for...this has always worked for me with fixed penalty notices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

you are not obliged to comprehend/understand or comply with these "private firms" a contract is needed in commerce to have a valid agreement...you have no contract with them and are a flesh and blood man.

If you get a "fixed penalty notice" send it back asking them to provide you with an copy of the contract binding you and them in a aggreement, a unilateral agreement is not acceptable... Also ask them are you obliged to pay a "notice", usually if you owe someone money you get an invoice..ask them for an invoice signed stating what it is for...this has always worked for me with fixed penalty notices...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Legislation preceeds the need for a contract. The private firms will be backed by legislation

Legislation preceeds the need for a contract. The private firms will be backed by legislation

so you are "forced" into contract with them? im confused myself now :confused: how can this be? a contract only exsists if both parties are in aggreement?? i have always written letters in reply to fixed penalty notices (have only ever got about 5 in my lifetime) and have always stated that i do not consent that that there is no contract and that persistant attempts to get me to contract would be deemed harassment under the harassment of the persons act 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

There is no contract.

Contracts only to control/manage agreements between two parties.

The state cannot rule by means of contract. The Constitution lays down the preamble to the law and correctly constituted legislation (such as the Road Traffic Acts) is deemed legal under the provisions of the Constitution.

I take it from your argument that you don't pay any tax, seeing that you did not enter a contract to pay tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

so you are "forced" into contract with them? im confused myself now :confused: how can this be? a contract only exsists if both parties are in aggreement?? i have always written letters in reply to fixed penalty notices (have only ever got about 5 in my lifetime) and have always stated that i do not consent that that there is no contract and that persistant attempts to get me to contract would be deemed harassment under the harassment of the persons act 1997
    no such act ...

your talking complete and utter nonsense

opti76 wrote: »
    no such act ...

your talking complete and utter nonsense

sorry my mistake, I meant the non fatal offences against the person act 1997
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0010.html

sorry my mistake, I meant the non fatal offences against the person act 1997
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0010.html
    its still not harassment though...

Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

the important part is in bold .. this brehon law nonsense your spouting is a load of rubbish ... just ask judge desmond zaidan one of your freeman colleagues was jailed recently for 6 monts for speeding for trying this no contract bull

its still not harassment though...

Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

the important part is in bold .. this brehon law nonsense your spouting is a load of rubbish ... just ask judge desmond zaidan one of your freeman colleagues was jailed recently for 6 monts for speeding for trying this no contract bull

Wind your neck in pal..Im not "spouting" anything, I don't have a clue who you are talking about..I don't have any "freeman colleagues" your mixing me up with someone else.

All i was trying to do was put forward my understanding of how this works, If you don't agree that is fine :) As stated above in my previous posts, this approach has worked 5 times for me over the years, the only reason i did it was to try something diffrent..I have no problem paying fines..but just try to do something diffrent now and again instead of being like a sheep..

Wind your neck in pal..Im not "spouting" anything, I don't have a clue who you are talking about..I don't have any "freeman colleagues" your mixing me up with someone else...
    Pull the other one.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Pull the other one.

agreed it has bells on it ....

5 times .. liar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Wind your neck in pal..Im not "spouting" anything, I don't have a clue who you are talking about..I don't have any "freeman colleagues" your mixing me up with someone else.

All i was trying to do was put forward my understanding of how this works, If you don't agree that is fine :) As stated above in my previous posts, this approach has worked 5 times for me over the years, the only reason i did it was to try something diffrent..I have no problem paying fines..but just try to do something diffrent now and again instead of being like a sheep..

I have a feeling your approach may work with private clamping companies as they have no basis in law, but from what I can tell these speed cameras are being contracted to assist the law, and therefore are legally binding.

That isnt worded as I intend it to sound...

agreed it has bells on it ....

5 times .. liar

I actually have the pdf files here i can upload them to photobucket (i'll start a new thread) i don't like getting called a liar or getting refered to being part of a group as im not... You come across as a contridictory prick so i would like to show you the pdf's just to prove im not a liar. don't bother responding, you will see my new thread with the letters i uses and the replies i got.

Esel, judging by your post count you need to get away from your pc/laptop more and loose your virginity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I wonder if we're going to be left know where the cameras are going to be located and show up on sat/nav like it is in the UK? It has to be said though it's a pity the government wouldn't spend as much time fixing the roads instead of trying to raise more taxes? All this sh!te about road safey is a load of bo!!ix, take a look at the roads, especially the secondary ones and you'll see they're in some shocking state! They should be hanging their heads in shame instead of sprouting sh!te about safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Ali Babba wrote: »
    I wonder if we're going to be left know where the cameras are going to be located and show up on sat/nav like it is in the UK? It has to be said though it's a pity the government wouldn't spend as much time fixing the roads instead of trying to raise more taxes? All this sh!te about road safey is a load of bo!!ix, take a look at the roads, especially the secondary ones and you'll see they're in some shocking state! They should be hanging their heads in shame instead of sprouting sh!te about safety

No Chance, sure the Garda hide as it is behind Bus shelters and in ditches!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Esel, judging by your post count you need to get away from your pc/laptop more and loose your virginity :)
    You have no contract with my flesh and blood body. If you wish to continue this discussion, I, acting as agent for my non-corporate personhood, require payment of 2 troy ounces of gold per post made.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You come across as a contridictory prick...

...you need to get away from your pc/laptop more and loose your virginity :)

jesusinaglanza infracted for abuse.

Tone it down please, attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Interesting theory jesusinaglanza. So your theory is that if you receive a fixed penalty, regardless of who it is from, you can simply write back to them and say that you've haven't consented to the "contract"....... :rolleyes:

By the same token does a Garda have to produce a contract for you to blow into a breathalyser? (Sir/Madam, would you mind signing here, here, here, here and here... oh and here so I can use the breathalyser on you?!) Or will does the legislative basis that allows a Garda to randomly breath test people provide all the requirements necessary?

Writing to some half arsed private clamping company and trying it with the Gardai/private firm who have the power to act to catch people speeding are two completely different things.

Even in car parks you are accepting the terms and conditions upon parking in the car park as most of them will have details of the t&c's on the back of the ticket you received entering the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Ali Babba wrote: »

Already here

Advertisement