Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo v50 headlight condensation

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

My volvo v50 is a 2008 reg. When it last got serviced they power-washed it for me but since then the left headlight has had condensation which has never dried out and at some stages during our wet weather the water gathers in the headlight. In addition the lowbeam works one day and not the next.
    I asked a local mechanic to replace the bulb but he informed there was an issue with the headlight unit and I should go back to the dealer.
    I have taken it back to the dealer where i bought it. They wrote a report 'to be sent to volvo hq' and now they want the car back for *more* tests. They didn't fix the bulb or do anything about the condensation. I've been told almost all headlights suffer from some small bit of condenstation every now and again but mine is so bad it's reducing the lights power. It's a xeon unit which should have a better seal than the older lights.

Am i getting the run around until the warranty is up or am i paranoid?
    Has anyone had this problem? i would be grateful to know what happened with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

The dealer needs to do a pressure test to make sure the lamp is faulty. If he replaces the lamp he will be required to send it back to the Volvo technical material anayalsis dept & if they test it and find nothing wrong with it the dealer will be stung with the cost of the lamp ( around a €1000)

There is a small amount of cars with faulty lights, if it really is bad condensation it will be replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

A pressure test is probably what they might have in mind. I should pester them for more specific details because they are not coming up with much in the way of explanation.
    At least now I know what to ask them :)
    Thanks very much for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Once you reported and the garage looked at the issue while the car is still under warranty then you should be ok in that respect.

The garage are probably waiting for Volvo to give them the go ahead to replace the headlamp first as the bi-xenon headlight are quite expensive and the dealer will need to claim the cost back from Volvo. If you feel you are being fobbed off or they are dragging their heels keep reminding them with phone calls and random visits in person reminding them that you are concerned about driving around (especially in the current conditions) with a faulty headlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were in the OP's situation i'd be expecting the headlight to be replaced immediately, and a courtesy car while the job was being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

Anan1 wrote: »
    If I were in the OP's situation i'd be expecting the headlight to be replaced immediately, and a courtesy car while the job was being done.

Why would u need a courtesy car?? The job only takes 10 mins.

• Advertisement

Woodey wrote: »

Dear Woodey: if 10 mins is what the job entails then i will be very happy. The dealer however is an hours drive away so my trips to date mean that i either spend a half day or a whole day in a town that is so small that i dread going down to them as i am stuck there till i get the car back.
    that said i will be ringing them tomorrow and will let ye know if i get any answers or anywhere for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Woodey wrote: »
    Replacing, realigning, and testing an HID headlight unit will take a lot more than 10 minutes.

Apologies for not getting back before now but its best to keep a long story short:
    I brought the car to the other dealer in Cork. Within seconds of seeing it their volvo expert said its a warranty job, no quibble no messing, and they could not have been nicer about it.
    So the headlight part is now on order and I should get a call Wednesday or Thursday to fix a day for it to go in and get it replaced.
    I will let ye know if there is a happy ending, (I am a glass half empty person when it comes to cars). Till next post thanks very much for all your help and replys to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

That's probably Johnson & Perrott, who would probably be one of the better Volvo dealers in Ireland.

good guess. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks to Volvo Johnson & Perrott Mahon I now have a replacement headlight unit and can finally see properly when driving at night. The unit was replaced two weeks ago but we had to wait till today for a small part to go behind the lowbeam. All covered by warrenty and all done without fuss and without bother.

Advertisement