Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintaining New Car

• 30-09-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get a new car in January and am wondering is it possible to keep it swirl free without using a machine polisher? My present car has been maintained by hand and has quite a few light scratches and swirls.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Its not possible to keep the car totally free of swirls, but it is possible to vastly limit the potential damage that washing can do.

Use the 'Two Bucket Method' when washing the car and use good quality products; for example, a good wash mitt, drying towel (microfibre), and pH neutral shampoo. Even those small things will help reduce the time in which swirls appear....swirls that do appear, will be much lighter and wont have such as dramatic bad effect on the appearance of the paintwork.

Keeping your paintwork topped up with protection will also help keep it in tip top shape....a good wax or sealant, applied every few months will make the surface smoother; less dirt will stick to the car, and it will be easier to wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that you would give me some encouragement to carry on by hand only as without any experience I'd be afraid to attack a new car even with a DA machine. Thought I was doing things right with the present car, but obviously I went wrong somewhere. I'll be in touch by pm for some new supplies.

If you are careful with your regular washing; keeping it away from brush washes, sponges, etc, and keep away from strong chemicals; a brand new car, should still look like brand new in 3-4 years. Yes it will have light swirls, but they'll only be visible from up close and under harsh light, but for the most part, with a wash and a layer of wax on the paintwork, it should still look very fresh.

The more swirls there are, the less light the bounces uniformly on the surface of your paintwork. Light bouncing in all different directions as a result of the peaks and hollows (microscopic) of the swirls, gives the appearance of dullness....so you want to avoid/limit this as much as possible. You want to avoid your paintwork going in this direction....

orig_Paint_Correction___swirl_marks.jpg

After a few years of regular 'safe' washing; worst case it might look a bit like this....

1510.jpg

And if it were to look like that, it wouldnt take much to correct it with a machine polisher - depending on the paintwork (if its hard or not) it might even be able to be corrected with a light cutting pad and polish.
    The swirls above, would mostly be hidden with a layer or two of wax, and not visible, unless really looking for defects.

That last pic would be typical of my present car and it's nearly 3 years old, so maybe I haven't been doing too badly up to now. Still need to stock up and maybe look at having a go with a machine polisher on the replacement in a couple of years. Thanks again for all the info.

If your car has soft paint, for example Jap cars have soft paint, then you've done extremely well....anything else and you're doing pretty well....perhaps you just need one or two changes in your current wash routine, with perhaps upgraded products.
    When you PM, give me a brief list of what you are currently using and I can point out where there might be room for improvement.

• Advertisement

Pm sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

all you need to do is compound the paint with a proper grinder shaped polisher not the cheap one in argos etc to rid it of them.
    then wax.

Make sure it a polisher and not an angle grider - two totally different machines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Curran wrote: »
    Make sure it a polisher and not an angle grider - two totally different machines!

a grinder would leave a interesting finish :)

Advertisement