Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard in luggage

Options
  • 28-09-2014 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

So we just found this little stowaway in luggage that came from lisbon, it looks about 2cm long and has lost part of its tail
    lizard.jpg

What should we do with it? What species is it?

Comments

No picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looks like some type of gecko ...perhaps this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_leaf-toed_gecko
    or that one
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_house_gecko

No idea what to do with it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yeah it looks like the med house gecko to me. would a lizard pet keeper take it does anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is it alive?! o_O hehe I'm glad you posted this AFTER i came home from hols on Friday :D

yeah it alive and looks healthy and active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

adamski8 wrote: »
    So we just found this little stowaway in luggage that came from lisbon, it looks about 2cm long and has lost part of its tail
    lizard.jpg

Bring it to a pet shop? What else would you be doing with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

chinacup wrote: »

You should post on the aquarium/terrarium/Vivariums Sub-Forum above. There should be people on there who rear/mind lizards.

chinacup wrote: »

why what would they do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

lizard.jpg

I'v kept snakes and lizards for years. That is a tarentola gecko 100%. He'll need heat and crickets to stay alive mate. Are you in Dublin?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=207631569287064&ref=br_tf

reptile haven shop would be your best bet

carzony wrote: »
    I'v kept snakes and lizards for years. That is a tarentola gecko 100%. He'll need heat and crickets to stay alive mate. Are you in Dublin?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=207631569287064&ref=br_tf

reptile haven shop would be your best bet

cheers, i am in dublin but it will be hard for me to make it there when they open. i dont have any means to keep him really, how best could i keep him alive before i get to the store? he is just in that plastic bag as thats how he travelled

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread moved to appropriate sub-forum in the hopes that someone here can provide immediate help or advice.
    Thanks,
    DBB

cheers, i am in dublin but it will be hard for me to make it there when they open. i dont have any means to keep him really, how best could i keep him alive before i get to the store? he is just in that plastic bag as thats how he travelled

You could get a lunch box and put him in that until you can get rid of him. Try a largish lunch box. just remember to put a few air holes in it..

as for food, give him some baby food, if not that then maybe some fruit like crushed banana/apples. Also leave him a wee water bowl just to keep him hydrated.

Try put him in a warm part of the house. He should be fine with room temperature for a few days (they can happily live at 20C)

You could get a lunch box and put him in that until you can get rid of him. Try a largish lunch box. just remember to put a few air holes in it..

as for food, give him some baby food, if not that then maybe some fruit like crushed banana/apples. Also leave him a wee water bowl just to keep him hydrated.

Try put him in a warm part of the house. He should be fine with room temperature for a few days (they can happily live at 20C)

perfect, thanks, ill do that and try my best to bring him to that haven shop

perfect, thanks, ill do that and try my best to bring him to that haven shop

He may not eat the fruit but leave it in with him anyway.. Just be careful when moving him around as they are like frogs and can be very hard to catch. Don't pull his tail as it can/will fall off...

He may not eat the fruit but leave it in with him anyway.. Just be careful when moving him around as they are like frogs and can be very hard to catch. Don't pull his tail as it can/will fall off...

it has already fallen off and its in the bag. will it jump? it looks very fast so yeah i hope i dont lose it! making the lunchbox with holes now. I dont have any fruit but ill go out and get some now.

Im thinking i might keep it actually, will see what the shop say.

any news?

any news?

20140929_222444.jpg
    Yes, just got home after buying the gecko a new house, complete with lamp, heater and substrate and little house from a very nice guy who gave me loads of advice. Gave the place a good spray and released a few crickets and have a few mealworms coated in calcium in a tub.

When i put the gecko in it went straight into the house. Im going to buy a artificial plant for it to climb and hide behind too. An unexpected pet but I'll try take good care of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

why what would they do with it?

Give you relevant advice but it looks like you got that elsewhere which is good!

did you go to reptile haven?

did you go to reptile haven?

No i went to maxi zoo and saw that thier cheapest tank was 70e! Bought all my stuff om adverts for 50e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I've nothing to add but just wanted to say that I think its lovely you've given the little fella a good home. Fair play! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Big +1 here.

Fair play indeed. Nice little story behind the new pet anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Nice to see it getting a new crib!

Advertisement