Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD FX 8320 PC Upgrade

• 20-11-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

My son had a Richland powered system, and he asked for some money as his Christmas present. He wanted to get more power for his games.

After a chat with my wife we gave him his present early, and he bought an FX 8320 and an R9 280X, Plus a MOBO from ebay. ,, This is his Upgrade Video.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Almost identical to the build I have in mind.
    He just highlighted the need of low profile ram for my build.
    I was going to go with an aftermarket cooler at some stage and if I went with the standard 8g (2x4) ram modules then the fan may not fit properly when I wanted to upgrade the ram to 16g (4x4)
    Nice build.
    Would he do anything different if doing it again?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Almost identical to the build I have in mind.
    He just highlighted the need of low profile ram for my build.
    I was going to go with an aftermarket cooler at some stage and if I went with the standard 8g (2x4) ram modules then the fan may not fit properly when I wanted to upgrade the ram to 16g (4x4)
    Nice build.
    Would he do anything different if doing it again?
    Cheers

Well if you're going for the Hyper 212 Evo, low profile ram wouldn't be necessary. Any decent cpu cooler nowadays will let you higher the fan to account of ram height. If they don't then it's just lazy on behalf of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

@ Ninja_Tigah
    Yes you would think the manufacturers would take ram modules into account.
    I can't see much difference between the standard and Lp ram to be honest.
    I might be doing some light overclocking so from what I read the standard ram modules dissipate heat better than Lp.
    So it's the standard ram for me now and then consider an aftermarket cooler to suit.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

It worked out very well,, and after a second look, after the ram was installed, it seems that, while it may have been a bit tight, the ram would have went into any of the slots. ( As a rule with air cooling it is best to go low profile on the ram side )

The aftermarket cooler we used is very very quiet, and it does a great job, would buy one again.

The R9 280X will play anything with a bit to spare. (3GB of GDDR5)

My Son said he would not change a thing,, ( That's because I would not give him the money for a GeForce GTX 980 )

There are some other great builds on his YouTube Channel,, he just needs a better camera man..

Advertisement