Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X99 Video Editing/VFX Workstation €2000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You could keep the 970 and use a blackmagic card for 10bit out I believe. If you need DCI P3 & 10 bit though you'd need to be stepping up your budget tenfold for a monitor to support it, so the quaddro wouldn't be the start or end of your worries.

Do you need the extra features of the WS board? IMO I'd wait for the TUF board. If you're buying before then the WS is still a waste if you don't need 4 16x lanes, which is essentially all it's providing extra over for example the deluxe board.

16gb ram could be a bit underkill depending on what specifically you're doing in terms of post. Doesn't take much effort to be using 20+ gb with resolve, premiere, and photoshop open. You would obviously get by without a hitch but if you're spending 2200 euro on a workstation you should maybe rebalance the budget and allow for 32gb. Still though if you know you won't be using above 16gb then it's fine.

You've gone a bit light on the mass storage. WD greens are a bit slow and loud, it might be worth the extra bit to either drop in storage and get WD blacks, or reds. At the moment that'll be the biggest bottleneck, even if it's only for storing stuff after you're done, greens are consumer level drives.

A few things are out of stock too like the PSU and the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

My main rationale behind this rig is that it'll be a solid base on which I can expand or at least work off of for the next few years (which will hopefully see me raising enough money for a proper 10bit display like those made by NEC or suchlike).

This was also my thinking about the WS board. Though that's a very relevant point you make about the TUF board. Any news as to when it's going to be released?

As for the RAM and storage, they are also very much the first things on my 'to upgrade' list, ie I'm planning to drop more ram and at least another drive in, by the end of February next year.

Sigh, that's the other thing. Everything can change in a HWVS minute. They were literally all in stock when I posted the thread. :pac:

I'd recommend you get a single Dell U2711 (or equivalent in whatever brand you prefer) with a view to buying a real accurate monitor down the line, for example a flanders scientific cm171. Little bit more than the likes of the nec monitors, but this coupled with the very good sRGB dell will leave you far ahead of having a single nec monitor. You could keep the 970 driving the u2711 and get a black magic box for 10bit output to the FSI

Not sure when the TUF board is coming, but it was confirmed by asus that it would definitely be coming. I'd definitely go for the TUF as it'll be cheaper than the WS, and the extra money you're paying (over a standard x99 board) would actually be for better quality components, rather than being extra pci lanes and server features which you won't be utilizing.

At the moment WD red 3tbs are only 103 euro on amazon I'd pick one of those over a green.

Have you considered the 5820k? It's still 6 cores 12 threads and is in and around the same performance as the 5930k, at 200 euro less cost.

Like the 3930k was the best value per performance on 2011v1, I think v3 the choice is either 5820k or 5960x, The 5930k just isn't far enough ahead of the much cheaper 5820k for the price, and likewise the 5960x is a huge amount more powerful to warrant the extra 400 odd euros over the 5930k.

Bit of something there to think about anyway. Really the only difference between the 5820k and the 5930k is the number of pci lanes, which you aren't using with the 970. Then theres less than 5% speed difference in favour of the 5930k. but that's it... not sure if that price difference is worth 10% of your total budget. Would be better spent on 32gb of ram or swapping the 3tb green for 3 x 3tb WD Red drives.

In my opinion if you're really planning on going back and getting more ram and storage after 6 months then just get the 3930k, but if you're going to buy the above and then just leave it, you'd be better off with the 5820k and the difference in cash going towards hard drives or ram

Maybe someone else around here could give their opinion if they've used a 5820k vs a 5930k, but on paper the price difference isn't worth it

I'm actually looking at getting my hands on a second hand Dell U2410, which a couple of designer friends of mine have been absolutely lauding. In the long run something like the FSI you mentioned will definitely be added. I'm also thinking I'll eventually shell out for one of the new LG 34'' 21:9 monitors, which again I've heard only good things about as a general productivity monitor. It's also no colour grading monitor, but it does cover around 99% of the adobe sRGB colour space AND can do 10 bit with the right card!

I think you're definitely right about the 5820k vs the 5930k. It's more than enough to suit my needs for the forseeable future, and when it comes to it I can take the leap up to the 5960x.

As for the board, I think at this point it's pretty clear that I won't need the features that justify the cost of the WS board, but I also don't have time to wait for the TUF, do you have any recommendations for an alternative that is currently on the market? I've heard really good things about MSI boards.

This should also free up a few hundred euro with I can then drop into more ram and storage for the same price.

Keggers2 wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at getting my hands on a second hand Dell U2410, which a couple of designer friends of mine have been absolutely lauding. In the long run something like the FSI you mentioned will definitely be added. I'm also thinking I'll eventually shell out for one of the new LG 34'' 21:9 monitors, which again I've heard only good things about as a general productivity monitor. It's also no colour grading monitor, but it does cover around 99% of the adobe sRGB colour space AND can do 10 bit with the right card!

I think you're definitely right about the 5820k vs the 5930k. It's more than enough to suit my needs for the forseeable future, and when it comes to it I can take the leap up to the 5960x.

As for the board, I think at this point it's pretty clear that I won't need the features that justify the cost of the WS board, but I also don't have time to wait for the TUF, do you have any recommendations for an alternative that is currently on the market? I've heard really good things about MSI boards.

This should also free up a few hundred euro with I can then drop into more ram and storage for the same price.

You very likely won't need to upgrade to the 5960X for at least another two generations where you can get whatever is right at that time. The differences are so small that unless you're doing 24h renders, as long as the 5820k has enough power to do whatever you want in realtime, then you're sorted.

I'd recommend the asus deluxe or the entry level X99-A

those 21:9 monitors look nice. Was unaware one of them was 10bit. Probaby an 8bit process with dithering like the dell monitors though. 12bit processing 10bit panel is cost prohibitive a lot of the time for that sort of price point but maybe they've cracked it.

Anyway, whatever you end up going with will be perfectly capable of doing whatever post stuff you need to do. My 2011 build is still making an easy job of 2k 16bit cdng sequences so you can't really go wrong with the current gen..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

what monitor are you looking at getting have you looked at many options?

Right now the (now older) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 because it can be gotten very cheap and is supposedly very good!

In the long run I'm looking at an LG 34UM95 for general productivity and some time after that a proper colour accurate monitor.

Though I'm really only starting to wet my toes in the dizzying world of monitors so suggestions and tips are always much appreciated!

Advertisement