Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€900 build advice

Options
  • 24-11-2014 8:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

So I've decided to build myself a PC - and already feeling overwhelmed :p

It will be a gaming PC, but also needs to be suitable for general work and perhaps some light-medium video editing (not 4K footage or anything like that, but some small HD projects and the like). I am not a 'graphics obsessive' as such, but would certainly like to run modern games at a reasonable quality (60 FPS, 1080p plus) for the next few years if possible!

My budget is approximately €900, but would stretch to €1000-1100 if really necessary. Note that while I will likely invest in a decent 1440p monitor (looking at the Asus PB278Q), I am not counting that towards the budget of the machine itself - which hopefully will give a bit of leeway.

Some parts I am currently leaning towards:
    Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    16GB RAM (although happy to drop to 8 if that's too ambitious for the budget - for an extra 40-50 euro, though, would go with 16!)
    256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

I'd really love some advice on a few other aspects:
    A good memory brand / product
    A video card - I have been recommended a GTX 970, but my knowledge in this area is very, very limited
    Motherboard, power supply and CPU cooler (if needed?)

Will also be looking for a network card, Blu-Ray drive and copy of Windows - but that's all pretty standard. Case wise I am happy with whatever - no interest in anything flashy, just something efficient and hardy that will contain what I need it to contain :) I have a very basic keyboard and mouse already - will likely invest in new ones somewhere down the line, but for now not factoring them in to the cost.

Anyway, I'm new to building but excited about the project and have a few able friends who will help with the building part, which I hope to get underway ASAP. But any tips and advice you would all have to offer would be great :) Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Howdy, bumping this because I'm finally getting around to building this, and also because I forgot to read the request rules properly first time around. :o

Anyway, currently leaning towards something along these lines: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GGtM23

I'm also willing to up my budget, because why not.

1. What is your budget? €900-1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming + some video editing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, but dealing with that separate to current budget. Any advice would be appreciated though!

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22-24' would be ideal.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless card is probably about it

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe later, but I'm a beginner at these things, but certainly a possibility in the future.

8. How can you pay? Credit / debit card preferably

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP, but more out of eagerness to get things moving rather than any urgency :)

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be OK

Any advice much welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've built my own for years, and the past three were from Ankerman. The prices are good and the service is tip-top. You just select your basic model and customise it according to your needs.

One place where you can save money is the WiFi card - why would you bother when you can buy a USB WiFi dongle for less than €10. However I would definitely go for as much memory as possible - it really can help performance. And something you appear to be missing: a power supply!

Note that your total is $1225, but if it's being shipped from the USA, you run the risk of having to pay import duty & VAT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ha totally left out the PSU, have added one now! Also removed the wireless card, good to know a dongle will do the job (and should have one lying around).

I won't be buying the parts from the US, just using part picker as a site to plan out the build :) Will probably buy the parts individually from wherever is cheapest, interested in the construction too for my own experience. Have a few people who can help, so that should be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if you bought it pre-built from Ankermann, that's not exactly 'building yourself'? :confused:

The parts seem OK to me, if you don't plan overclocking though, no need for a K cpu, a regular one will suffice. You could also get a cheaper board easily, a Z97 for around €100 should be perfect. If you don't plan overclocking or have any particular demands, a €60 H81 or similar motherboard would be fine really and free up funds better used elsewhere. Also, a 750w power supply is ultimate overkill, unless you plan adding a second GTX970. Any good quality 450w+ PSU is fine for a GTX970 based system.

Excellent, thanks for the advice :)

Have done a bit of revision to the build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/q4hWjX

I have to be honest my brain is scrambled trying to figure out motherboards :o Would the one I have included there do the job? I genuinely have no special requests I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Excellent, thanks for the advice :)

Have done a bit of revision to the build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/q4hWjX

I have to be honest my brain is scrambled trying to figure out motherboards :o Would the one I have included there do the job? I genuinely have no special requests I can think of.

Seems fine, except for Windows can be got for cheaper online.

Advertisement