Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a PC to the UK

Options
  • 17-11-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

My friend moved to Southampton earlier this year and is looking to get his PC shipped over. I understand about removing the cooler, GPU and drives, but I'm not sure where to get a quote from. Are wiseloads.com reputable or is there anywhere else that could ship it relatively cheaply? It'd be 2 boxes, weighing maximum 15 kilos in total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Still looking for advice on this, haven't had time to ring up couriers and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

That's the only way you'll find out. Or bang off an email to a few off them and see what you get back. Shipping anything from here to the UK seems to be a lot more expensive than it appears to be to do it the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Not sure if this will help, but I shipped a 10 kg box to Nottingham last week with GLS couriers for €20. Took 2 days. Actually, the speed of the delivery was not important, but An Post wanted €47 to do the same thing, in their own time. The package I sent was 23cm by 25 cm, by 36cm. I was charged by size and weight, but even though the package was 9 kg, I know that it could have been more for the same price. At that rate, I wouldn't break up the PC, but rather send it off complete.

It's worth your while having a look around to see who will ship for the best value. Tbh, I assumed AnPost would do better than any courier, but I was wrong

Here's a site that'll give you a good estimate without having to pick up the phone. Maybe for finer details, you could then call them. http://www.parcel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Not sure if this will help, but I shipped a 10 kg box to Nottingham last week with GLS couriers for €20. Took 2 days. Actually, the speed of the delivery was not important, but An Post wanted €47 to do the same thing, in their own time. The package I sent was 23cm by 25 cm, by 36cm. I was charged by size and weight, but even though the package was 9 kg, I know that it could have been more for the same price. At that rate, I wouldn't break up the PC, but rather send it off complete.

It's worth your while having a look around to see who will ship for the best value. Tbh, I assumed AnPost would do better than any courier, but I was wrong

Here's a site that'll give you a good estimate without having to pick up the phone. Maybe for finer details, you could then call them. http://www.parcel.ie/

Had a look at GLS and they seem to have decent prices, I wouldn't want to ship the PC fully assembled though unless I knew it would be 100% safe.

Advertisement