Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounts production software - Sage V Relate V CCH

Options
  • 31-08-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

We're looking to buy accounts production software. Can anyone in practice give me their ideas on Sage, Relate and CCH's software for accounts production. Or any other one we should consider?

I've used an old Sage Apex accounts production software, CCH and recently Caseware. Haven't used Relate or the more modern Sage.

How userfriendly are the various types and what is the support like?

What is the bookkeeping function on the accounts production software like? Is it sufficient for smaller clients?

Relate costs approx €1000 initially and then €500 per year for support and updates.

Sage is more expensive at €1700 but you dont neet to buy the support. If you want it though it costs approx €600

Not sure about CCH but personally I dont particularly like the look of the accounts but I wont let that stop me if it turns out to be the best option.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I didn't like relate because it seemed to be very restrictive when you wanted to amend a note from the standard format. I know the reasoning behind it but it seemed to be way over the top in not allowing any changes to be made at all. I was told by the sales person that you basically had to export to word and make the changes then.

I didnt like sage apex because in this case it was too easy to make changes on the notes and had many experiences of lazy juniors typing in the figures and deleting the warning texts.

So I chose CCH which is working out "just about OK" only. The draw back with them now is that they are a UK based company and the Irish version definately gets the raw deal in terms of testing and debugging and could do with being more regularly updated for changes in legislation.

I dont care how the accounts look. So long as they are accurate, compliant and keep me out of trouble with the institute and the client is happy then I don't care about the estetics of a given note or font. Thats just me though!!!

Regards

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Hi

I use to use Sage Apex back in the days when it was just Apex and then for a few years when Sage took over.

I must agree with dbran that it's all to easy to change the notes and delete the validation errors etc but it was a good package and is very easy to use, the bookkeeping is ok with it and is easy to use and user friendly but as for the support well less said the better imo.

I use Relate now and yes as per dbran it is too restrictive but i think thats a good thing and you can amend or change the notes or add new notes in relate but not the statutory notes required by the companies acts. the bookkeeping element is userfriendly but dont use it that much tbh. Support is first class and only fault i could have is that you have to download sql to use relate but thats just me

I dont know about CCH as havent use it.

Regards

Ants

I've used both Sage and Relate, have found Sage to be much more user friendly. Yes it's easy to edit the pages but staff just need to be made aware of the changes that they are making, it also raises the question of whether junior staff should be involved in the preparation of financial statements.

With relate software you have to pay the annual licence fee or else you are locked out of the software which means if you ever decide to change product you won't be able to access your old data.
    With Sage you pay the one off fee and you own the product.

Hi

Anybody used Caseware. I would be interested to hear any comments about it.

I was quoted €40 per user per month this evening by them which is reasonable and an extra €20 per user per month for the audit module. Also exports to Ixbrl which is a factor which is going to be all the more important going forward.

Dbran

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

Anybody used Caseware. I would be interested to hear any comments about it.

I was quoted €40 per user per month this evening by them which is reasonable and an extra €20 per user per month for the audit module. Also exports to Ixbrl which is a factor which is going to be all the more important going forward.

Dbran

I've never used Caseware however I'd be wary of buying monthly/annual subscribed software as in alot of cases you are paying for the licence to use the software rather than actually buying the software which means that you may have difficulty extracting your data if you ever decide to change provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sdfght

brenbrady wrote: »
    I've never used Caseware however I'd be wary of buying monthly/annual subscribed software as in alot of cases you are paying for the licence to use the software rather than actually buying the software which means that you may have difficulty extracting your data if you ever decide to change provider.

With Relate I was told that if I change provider/end the licence agreement I would be given a read only version of the software so I'd always be able to view the data and accounts.

I've used Caseware. I didn't really like the audit module myself but that was probably because I never really did the proper training on the software. The accounts production was fine, like most things, difficult at first but then once I knew what I was at it was fine.

I never used Caseware for bookkeeping so I have no idea what it was like for that, to be honest I didn't think it had one, but I'm not sure I always used Sage 50 for bookkeeping clients and transfered the TB to Apex or Caseware. I was hoping that if Sage and Relate had a good enough bookkeepiong module it would serve as my bookkeeping software for some clients??

Sage said they have the IXBRL functionality developed and I would get it as an update next year. Relate said the same but i'd have to follow up on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I tried Sage but didn't like the interface so went with Relate in the end.

Its been very stable no issues with the package at all. The support is very good, quick and knowledgeable when I had queries. We don't audit and most of our clients are 'relatively' basic so were probably not using half the product.

I think there's a great opportunity for someone to set up an online accounts production solution but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dell2009

How is everyone finding Relate these days , any comments on the software since the Companies Act 2014 update?

What is the most up to date version of Sage Accounts Production like?

Are Sage and Relate the two main accounts production software used in Irish Accountancy Practices?

Please do not drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement