Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windowless en-suite

Options
  • 01-08-2015 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Ensuite in the house we're buying has no window. It has an extractor fan alright but I'm dubious that it'll be difficult to prevent mould building from condensation. Do you have a windowless Ensuite and what has been your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Had one for 10 years with no problem. just make sure that the extractor fan has a delay on turning itself off of its wired to the light switch. (so fan goes for a while after you turn off the light/leave the room)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I've lived in 2 houses like this, and as long as you are aware of it and make allowances for it it's grand, no hassle. Like above, just make sure the fan works properly, and leave the door open sometimes with the windows in the bedroom open to air it out on occasion and it shouldn't give you trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd check that it's connected to the exterior as well. One trick was just to run it into the roof void - it should be ducted to a connection in the roof.

I have one of these and one problem is condensation - in cold air in the attic hitting the warm air being extracted. If you insulate the duct and make sure it runs without any bends that can collect water, shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I've lived in 2 houses like this, and as long as you are aware of it and make allowances for it it's grand, no hassle. Like above, just make sure the fan works properly, and leave the door open sometimes with the windows in the bedroom open to air it out on occasion and it shouldn't give you trouble.

+1 to this - a lot of apartments have no windows in bathrooms. Leaving the door open after a shower and the window in the bedroom open helps avoid issues imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nothing in the regulations to prevent it.
    I can only mirror what the above posters have said :

Use the fan during shower time.
    Afterwards, leave the ensuite door open and a window in the bedroom.

Do this regularly and you should have no condensation/mould issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Had one for 10 years and no problems. There is an extractor fan, but it isn't piped to outside so not sure where it goes! It's on a separate switch so we can leave it on for as long as we like. We leave the shower door open, leave the ensuite door open and open the window in the bedroom for a few mins and it's fine. Never smells damp or anything.

The one issue we did have is that the paint on the ceiling doesn't last long, we find it peels above the shower, but it's a tiny ensuite so painting the ceiling only takes a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'd check that it's connected to the exterior as well. One trick was just to run it into the roof void - it should be ducted to a connection in the roof.

I have one of these and one problem is condensation - in cold air in the attic hitting the warm air being extracted. If you insulate the duct and make sure it runs without any bends that can collect water, shouldn't be an issue.

Do you mean check if the extractor is connected to the exterior?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

yellow hen wrote: »
    Do you mean check if the extractor is connected to the exterior?

Yes. I've seen cases where it isn't and it can cause serious issues from anything in the attic getting damp to collapsed ceilings in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I lived in 2 places with a windowless en suite. One was pretty much perfect, the other wasnt but the other had issues which could have caused the problem. I did have to leave the light on for awhile to keep the fan on though. Ideally you could have the fan on but not the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

ncmc wrote: »
    Had one for 10 years and no problems. There is an extractor fan, but it isn't piped to outside so not sure where it goes! It's on a separate switch so we can leave it on for as long as we like. We leave the shower door open, leave the ensuite door open and open the window in the bedroom for a few mins and it's fine. Never smells damp or anything.

The one issue we did have is that the paint on the ceiling doesn't last long, we find it peels above the shower, but it's a tiny ensuite so painting the ceiling only takes a few mins.

Agree re. extractor fan. Also, use a mould resistant paint for the ceiling. We haven't had to re-paint the ceiling in 8 years. We also installed underfloor heating, which helps dry the room out (and is lovely and cosy!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement