Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violin for adult beginner

• 19-05-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

My child will be starting violin classes in school next year, and I'd like to start too. I always wanted to play the violin, I play the piano (or used to, should I say!). I'm extremely confused with the various sizes: what would suit an adult? Is the size linked to the child or student's height? Sorry if it is a silly question!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

For an adult, a full size violin would be the norm- unless you're very very tall or small.
    With a child, you'll need to get them measured I think (or if the instruments are being provided by the school, they should look after that). The size of their instrument will depend on the length of their arm. I believe up to about 20 inches would mean a quarter size violin, up to 24 inches would be a half size and bigger again would be a three-quarter size. (There's also an eighth size- I've only seen that with particularly small five-year olds.) Good luck with learning a new instrument! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

rhapsody wrote: »
    For an adult, a full size violin would be the norm- unless you're very very tall or small.
    With a child, you'll need to get them measured I think (or if the instruments are being provided by the school, they should look after that). The size of their instrument will depend on the length of their arm. I believe up to about 20 inches would mean a quarter size violin, up to 24 inches would be a half size and bigger again would be a three-quarter size. (There's also an eighth size- I've only seen that with particularly small five-year olds.) Good luck with learning a new instrument! :)

Thank you so much! It makes it much clearer :)

Advertisement