Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Benton Guitar Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Thomann have been raising their game with their house-brand
    I played one of the L 450 plus recently and was very Impressed,
    so lmpressed that I actually ordered one myself Should have it tomorrow so I can get back to you

I was torn between the L 450 and the CST 24 your looking at but settled on the les paul

I found a french Harley Benton mega-thread where someone was saying that the CST's are about to be released in new colours very soon
    I would contact Thomann yourself about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Thomann have been raising their game with their house-brand
    I played one of the L 450 plus recently and was very Impressed,
    so lmpressed that I actually ordered one myself Should have it tomorrow so I can get back to you

I was torn between the L 450 and the CST 24 your looking at but settled on the les paul

I found a french Harley Benton mega-thread where someone was saying that the CST's are about to be released in new colours very soon
    I would contact Thomann yourself about that one

Looking forward to hearing your opinion. I'd like to know how it compares to the equivalent epiphone LP.

How's playability and response. Can't find reviews on the CST. LookLooks a lot like a PRS

Cst is only out since Christmas but if the L450 plus reviews are anything to go by Id say its excellent

How's yer french

http://www.guitariste.com/forums/guitare,le-harley-benton-lp-450-450-500-user-s-club,454773,10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

Picked up a G bass and its very nice. Our bass player used it at rehersal one night and loved it. For the price i think it will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I've built with Wilkinson Pups.

they're perfectly OK

• Advertisement

OK so the Postman dropped off the guitar at 8.30 this morning
    Ive the week off so had the whole morning to my self with it , Kids still asleep so cant plug it in yet

On opening the box I was greeted with a nice amber glow , took it out of the white wrapping & was greeted by a beautiful maple cap
    16857490187_57aac24f8a_c.jpg
    Flipped it over and could see a visible 2 piece back ,Checked the endgrain to see if there were more pieces but no Its a two piece

17063834431_fc18e0267c_c.jpg
    16876821648_51175e9f4d_c.jpg
    While looking I saw a good sized crack in the lacquer,it looked like the guitar was banged or dropped while the paint was drying started looking around for more flaws and found a filled indent in the rosewood fretboard
    16444463163_5d0ec0e64c_c.jpg
    16878398649_8857a1503f_c.jpg

Not overly impressed I start to play , frets unpolished & rosewood bone dry so I rip off the strings, give the frets a good polishing with T cut and then a good soaking of lemon oil .
    While Im waiting for the lemon oil I took out the neck pickup to see if there was a long neck tenon and to my surprise there is and a 20mm solid maple cap, the mahogany looks good quality as well ,no shielding though
    17038650136_b3ab0e5352_c.jpg

I opened the bridge cavity and the pickup looks different to the neck pickup and older, both pickups are coil tappable btw.

17038725546_a9c6b7a4b8_c.jpg

I opened up the other two cavities on the back , the pots are the really cheap chinese crap and the switch feels really flimsy
    17064709895_7ce9c9ba33_c.jpg
    The tuners look the part and seem ok , time will tell
    16444552333_db743e9be7_c.jpg

I've just finished stringing her back up ,Top wrap of course & shes looking good , there is a cream pickguard with it but its quite cheap looking

16877349710_66a72d09cc_c.jpg

Double pst

OK,
    It has a few flaws and I could send it back to thomann but with the plusses, solid two piece mahogany body, solid maple cap, long neck tenon, beautiful flame top bone nut Im quite happy to hold on to it
    Its quite resonant unplugged plugged in its fine neck pickup is nice bridge is ok but I need to do a proper setup on it and adjusting pickup heights would change that.
    I definately will replace all the electronics as they're really cheap but all in all Im very happy with it

€159 gets a good guitar, its certainly not entry level and would definately give Epiphone and Vintage a good run for their money

As for the flaws, I'll get over them ,I sent back a Gibson which was worse than this last year I'll probably sand down the whole body to a matt finish and turn it into a greenie

Looks quite good. I could live with the few flaws. And if necessary they could be fixed easily. The basics seem to be right.

OK,
    It has a few flaws and I could send it back to thomann but with the plusses, solid two piece mahogany body, solid maple cap, long neck tenon, beautiful flame top bone nut Im quite happy to hold on to it
    Its quite resonant unplugged plugged in its fine neck pickup is nice bridge is ok but I need to do a proper setup on it and adjusting pickup heights would change that.
    I definately will replace all the electronics as they're really cheap but all in all Im very happy with it

€159 gets a good guitar, its certainly not entry level and would definately give Epiphone and Vintage a good run for their money

As for the flaws, I'll get over them ,I sent back a Gibson which was worse than this last year I'll probably sand down the whole body to a matt finish and turn it into a greenie
    Now you have it a couple of weeks how do you rate it. I'm sure by now you have found anything that can be.

• Advertisement

Im very happy with it, it plays and feels like a much more expensive guitar the pickups are very nice and have no plans to change them even though I originally had planned to

Its had new pots and caps fitted and fully shielded, a headstock reshape as I couldn't stand the original the and I've lightened the finish a bit
    It probably could do with a set of tuners, the originals are ok though
    It reminds me very much of an Edwards I had a few years ago and that says a lot for it

Ive owned well over 20 Les pauls over the years of every make and price and even though its the cheapest one its certainly nowhere near the bottom of the pile
    The foundations are there to turn these into a great guitar, good quality wood and a good neck, once you have these you can improve everything else
    Im actually thinking of getting the goldtop with P90s next

Have you decided on the CST 24 yet

17050221190_6c01f150df_b.jpg

Im very happy with it, it plays and feels like a much more expensive guitar the pickups are very nice and have no plans to change them even though I originally had planned to

Its had new pots and caps fitted and fully shielded, a headstock reshape as I couldn't stand the original the and I've lightened the finish a bit
    It probably could do with a set of tuners, the originals are ok though
    It reminds me very much of an Edwards I had a few years ago and that says a lot for it

Ive owned well over 20 Les pauls over the years of every make and price and even though its the cheapest one its certainly nowhere near the bottom of the pile
    The foundations are there to turn these into a great guitar, good quality wood and a good neck, once you have these you can improve everything else
    Im actually thinking of getting the goldtop with P90s next

Have you decided on the CST 24 yet

17050221190_6c01f150df_b.jpg

I am pretty set on it. I just don't like being the first to try with no reviews. I'm not in a hurry. Going to wait a couple more weeks. Then unless there is a horrible review posted I'll make the purchase.

Ok just ordered the cst-24. Hopefully it will be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Ok just ordered the cst-24. Hopefully it will be pretty good.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but did you ever get the cst? I'm considering one and would like to hear anything about it.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but did you ever get the cst? I'm considering one and would like to hear anything about it.

I still have my L 450 and still very happy with it if thats any help !

plenty of info here

http://theharleybentonclub.proboards.com/#category-2

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

I still have my L 450 and still very happy with it if thats any help !

plenty of info here

http://theharleybentonclub.proboards.com/#category-2

Cool, good to know. They seem such good value.

Advertisement