Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1 - For One Night Only - (Finbar Furey) - August 17th, 2012 @ 9:35pm.

• 17-08-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Joining Gaybo this week on 'For One Night Only' will be Finbar Furey

By the time Finbar Furey was a teenager he was known as 'The Prince of the Pipers'. On For One Night Only he brings us on a musical journey throughout his long and illustrious career.

Singing some of his favourite songs, from 'When you were Sweet Sixteen to 'The Green Fields of France' he tells the story behind the great hits. He recalls growing up in a very musical household and how seeing the likes of Willie Clancy and even Johnny Cash in his house in Ballyfermot was commonplace.

He talks about the passion and love his parents instilled in him for music and why his Traveller heritage is so important to him. He talks about his decade of pain following his split from The Furey Brothers and Davey Arthur, his recent health difficulties and how he overcame them, his joy at being able to play the pipes again and his excitement of going on the road stateside with his wife Sheila.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/foronenightonly/this_week.html

The Lonesome Boatman has always been one of my favourite Irish tunes, it is such a sad and haunting piece of music :( I'd did like to dedicate this tune to the memory of the five men who lost their lives off our coast this week -
    John O'Leary, Allihies, Co. Cork, Pearse Lyne, Castletownbere, Co. Cork, Martin Burns, Clare Island off the coast of Co. Mayo, Michael Galvin and Noel Dickinson from Quilty, Co. Clare (RIP).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Finbar's interview with BoC a few months ago was very good, if a little short, so I have high hopes for this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hiya guys,

He still sings that song very well. Good man Finbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Go on Finbar,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Imagine going into school on Monday morning and saying "Miss, Johnny Cash was in our house over the weekend" :pac::pac::pac:

It would be very hard for your friends to top that!

I am really enjoying this. I think Finbar could tell stories all night long, and come back with more the next night.

• Advertisement

The Lonesome Boatman is so beautiful but awfully sad too. Apparently it was Charlie Haughey's favourite tune and he requested that it would be played at his funeral.

It was played at this funeral but it wasn't performed by Finbar, it was performed by Liam Og O Flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did Derek Mooney set the quiz question..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,506 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Love the boatman, I hope he plays The Old Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've never heard this song before .. Who is it? Westlife?

The Green Fields of France was great, you don't always hear those last verses (which are so powerful)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A true legend and a genuine nice guy. long live Finbar.

Love the boatman, I hope he plays The Old Man.
    He didn't sing it, so here you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lovely program, enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A great show to watch. Good night everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,582 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

His story would make an awesome film - Aiden Gillen to play him

Advertisement