Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Cert Predictions Thread 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

does anyone any idea what to write when it comes to a cold war leader ( preferly korean war )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

paddzdaman wrote: »
    does anyone any idea what to write when it comes to a cold war leader ( preferly korean war )

Never did the Korean war myself, I remember writing about JFK for the Cuban Missile Crisis though and it was fairly straightforward. Just write about the crisis, detailing his involvement. I suppose you could write about Krushchev there too but I imagine there'd be a lot less to write about him than Kennedy. Or for the Berlin Blockade, Stalin or Truman. It seems to me to be easier to write about the leaders on the democratic side.

But errr yeah, might wanna consult your book for the Korean War. Was Truman still the president at the time? If so, then him or the Korean leader...Just outline whatever the leader did and give a bit of background to the background and conclusions, referring to the leader and how he helped it come to a conclusion. It's all good.

Kinda sickened we never did the Korean War actually since I'm mildly obsessed with the little nation on the north of the peninsula. *googles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

For music, I'd say Carmina Burana is most likely to turn up in set works, but has anyone got any predictions for the rest of the paper? The first half of Irish music will be a doddle but is there any Irish music essay that I should focus on?

And does anyone know what themes are likely to show up in the poetry and prose section for Irish paper 2?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Pidge96

Grá, brón etc. usually always come up in Irish. I think my teacher was telling us last year that a collector of music, edward bunting could come up. It didn't for me, so I guess it makes it more likely on this year's paper. Sean nós performance probably won't come up as it came up in '11.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

any geography predictions please other than fishing and farming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

Does anyone else here think that Bás will come up for the studied pros? (IRISH HL)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 me.gusta

Anyone have any ideas for english paper 2? Studied fiction,in particular? :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

Could you write about Dioltas An Madra Rua for greann???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarnieBarney

Anyone have any predictions on what theroms might come up for maths paper 2?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

I think bogs might come up in geography due to all the news coverage it has been getting.

• Advertisement

hey guys which letter would you recommend me to study? :D (french)

L'ecole
    Un voyage en Irlande
    Une nouvelle maison

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Predictions for PEOPLE IN HISTORY ACCOUNTS?????

I went through the History exam papers people in history questions from the previous years back until 1998 and the same topic for people in history never comes up 2 years in a row but it may come up in another question.
    Last year was
    Romans (ancient civilisation outside of Ireland)
    Monk in Early Christian Ireland
    Religious Reformer
    /
    Explorer
    Person lost land in Plantation
    Leader named struggled for Irish Independence

they more and likely wont come up again.
    And in Question 6 Social Change, Irish History ans WW2 nearly always come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

me.gusta wrote: »

Studied Play:
    Learn a character you like, one which is a villain in the play and a love or hate relationship. The only recent year something about a character hasn't come up in Studied Drama is 2007 but they asked to recommend the play which is easier.
    Learn a scene in the play as well just to be sure, usually the trial scene if doing Merchant of Venice.

Studied Fiction:
    Questions are more widespread but if you learn;
    theme of the book, character, relationship, setting and then a scene you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I should probably emphasise that this is not a prediction as such.

IRISH ADVICE

With everyone using Subh Milis as the Irish poem for everything, I'd be worried about only learning it alone. They're bound to throw a spanner in the works somewhere, whether it be through unusable themes or by putting Subh Milis on the paper itself (unless it's been on before)

I'm just saying that learning two poems is probably a good idea.

If you look at the novel question, on the 2010 paper I think, you had to do the first option, pick a novel similar to the extract on the paper. Otherwise, all the themes couldn't be used for Dunmharu ar an Dart. (Of course you could have done another novel/short story).

My final advice is to keep studying hard in these last few days. Good luck to everyone, and it's not the end of the world. (That's this December ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11 me.gusta

Anyone have any predictions on what theroms might come up for maths paper 2?:/
    Well my maths teacher reckons the equiangular triangles 1 and the 1 about a diagonal bisecting the area of a parallelogram. He's usually right...apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Well my maths teacher reckons the equiangular triangles 1 and the 1 about a diagonal bisecting the area of a parallelogram. He's usually right...apparently

My maths teacher has predicted both the theorems correctly for the last three years and this year she think The equiangular triangles one and the line through the centre of a circle, perpendicular to a chord, bisects the chord, will come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheDhoomGuy

Sections
    1)Historian&Archaeologist, 2)Early Ireland, 3)Ancient Rome, 4)Middle Ages, 5)Renaissance, 6)Exploration, 7)Reformation, 8)Plantations, 9)Revolutions, 10)Industrial Revolution, 11)Ireland 1900-2007, 12)International Relations
    13)Social History

Q1) Picture A&B: Sec 1-10, Picture C: Sec 6-13

Q2) Documents: Always on Sec 6-13

Q3) Short Questions: Just study Sec 1-10 to get full marks

Q4) People in History: i)Archaeologist at work, ii)Lord/Lady in castle
    iii) Settler received land in a plantation, iv) Leader in Revolution,
    v) Farm Labourer in Agricultural Revolution, vi) World War,
    vii) Renaissance artist, viii)Mine or factory worker in Industrial Revolution
    ix) Serf on a medieval manor, x)Knight in a castle.

Q5) Sources: Always on Sec 6-10

Q6) Long Questions: Just study 11-13. But I would prefer studying Sec 1-10 and Sec 13 (for they are always easy)

Best of Luck

One more thing:D
    Just read Revise vise or Less stress more success (if you have it) for full marks in Sec 11-12 ( Ireland 1900-2007, International relations)

thanks a mil :)
    any predictions on geography?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MarnieBarney

Thanks for the predictions for the theorems :), I'm so not looking forward to maths paper 2 D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Surely the War of Independence will come up this year! It's never ever ever came up!

I'm really worrying about Irish because everyone is expecting an A from me and I really want one but I'm just afraid of what could come up in the unseen poetry and prose sections. Last year was easy but the year before was actually very difficult.

People learning an t-Ozone! Have a back up! Because I'd expect 'duine i ngra' etc to come up and theres no people in an tozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 catlin.

asked my geography teacher he said economic cliamate and bog's are a definate question !

Should be ok for Irish poetry as I've got love, death, children, school life, humor, nature, respect, relationships between parents and children, city life and anger learnt. (We've got a very scary teacher...)
    We did Alililiu Bop Siúáidí for our prose. As far as I know, it covers love, anger, sadness, and sort of covers city life. Would that be enough?

For the scéal, we've learnt off a couple of stories, but the one I know well is about a fire at a disco. (Setting can be changed to literally anywhere.) Should I be ok with just that one or is there another topic that could come up? And is there any chance of the conditional tense coming up for the changing verb tenses part. I'm very much hoping there's not as we only covered it last week...

For geography, our teacher reccommended studying farming as a system, over-fishing, tourism and bogs. She also said there'll be something on climate but it could form part of tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

OwlYouNeed wrote: »
    Should be ok for Irish poetry as I've got love, death, children, school life, humor, nature, respect, relationships between parents and children, city life and anger learnt. (We've got a very scary teacher...)
    We did Alililiu Bop Siúáidí for our prose. As far as I know, it covers love, anger, sadness, and sort of covers city life. Would that be enough?

For the scéal, we've learnt off a couple of stories, but the one I know well is about a fire at a disco. (Setting can be changed to literally anywhere.) Should I be ok with just that one or is there another topic that could come up? And is there any chance of the conditional tense coming up for the changing verb tenses part. I'm very much hoping there's not as we only covered it last week...

For geography, our teacher reccommended studying farming as a system, over-fishing, tourism and bogs. She also said there'll be something on climate but it could form part of tourism.

I kind of have a feeling that Conditional is coming up on Irish. I think it was past and future that came up the last two years and I just think that it would be a little too obvious if the present came up..

But don't worry about it. People have some big thing about the Modh Coinniolach but it's really not that much different than any other tense :)

Junokevv wrote: »
    I kind of have a feeling that Conditional is coming up on Irish. I think it was past and future that came up the last two years and I just think that it would be a little too obvious if the present came up..

But don't worry about it. People have some big thing about the Modh Coinniolach but it's really not that much different than any other tense :)

Thanks a lot. :) I'll make sure to look over it. You're probably right, t'would be nice, but a tad obvious if the present tense came up. :p

• Advertisement

any predictions for business? anyone? HL? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 33 catlin.

analysed cas book definate question , a club account and a trading and profit question mabey ? :)

any predictions for business? anyone? HL? xD

For the club accounts questions, our teacher said the balance sheet could come up. And something on ratios will probably come up as well. Sorry I can't help you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EatRowSleep

does equiangular triangles mean all angles add up to 180 or that "if two triangles are equi.... the lenghts of the corosponding sides are in proportion?" thanks :)

two triangles

• Advertisement

im super super super super nervous for english :/

any predictions for english (HL)?
    any little predictions would help a lot.
    <3

im super super super super nervous for english :/

any predictions for english (HL)?
    any little predictions would help a lot.
    <3

It's impossible to predict Junior Cert English. At this stage just make sure you have a good knowledge of your poems, prose and drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Anybody any Ordinary Irish predictions for the letter/postcard/teachtaireact riomphost/alt????

For Long Questions (sec 2), the following may come up:
    Rivers, Climate and Tourism, Population, Urban Geography, Primary Activities(Fishing and Farming), Secondary Act.(Location, Industry) Tertiary Act.(Tourism and Aid), Poor and Rich World.

For the map Q, there is a great chance for a sketch map of O.S. map to come up. Aerial Photo came up the last two years.

There is also a likely chance for a rock question and an acid rain Q.

Anyway, it's all predictions.;)

Best of Luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluemusic97

well lads, does anyone think that cairdeas might come up in the pros section of the irish paper2? we only got a proper teacher this year and so had very little time to cover things, and we only covered this theme and loyalty D: , also we only got to properly cover the theme of love and family life in the poem " an teilifis" , for the filiocht, does anyone know what the odds are of that coming up? :) ! any advice would be greatly appreciated ! :)

im dead nervous for english.
    my teacher barely gave us any notes and we just watch films
    now im just gonna make poetry notes for:

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost ( life, choices)
    Dulce et decorum est - Wilfred Owen (war)
    He wishes for the cloths of heaven AND When you are old -W.B Yeats (love + poet)

will those poems be okay for me to survive the poem section for the JC? :/
    asdfasdjfhasdkfjdsahfakjshfs
    so worried T.T

well lads, does anyone think that cairdeas might come up in the pros section of the irish paper2? we only got a proper teacher this year and so had very little time to cover things, and we only covered this theme and loyalty D: , also we only got to properly cover the theme of love and family life in the poem " an teilifis" , for the filiocht, does anyone know what the odds are of that coming up? :) ! any advice would be greatly appreciated ! :)

Prose:

Cairdeas (friendship) last came up in 2009. There is a good chance it will be there this year.

Loyalty, I think this is dílseacht (correct me if I'm wrong) has never come up, it s unlikely to be honest. However, love (similar to loyalty) comes up most years.

Poetry:

Love comes up ALMOST every year. It SHOULD be there this year, I hope it is!

Your back-up "family life" usually only comes up in the prose section (rarely, if ever in the poetry). I would recommend learning something different to this.

Hope this helps.

He wishes for the cloths of heaven AND When you are old -W.B Yeats (love + poet)

so worried T.T

You really should do more than three. You will be lucky if you have one of the options in the exam to write about if you limit the poetry so much.

Also, if a question on a poet comes up, you most certainly will not be able to answer that as you don't have more than one poem done by any one poet.

I'd say learn a few more poems, to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

so worried T.T

You should really do more than 1 poem by the same poet
    so if a question comes up about the comparison of the poems you can give a good answer! Im doing midterm break and Digging by Seamus Heaney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Our teacher said you need atleast 8 poems for english :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hopelessamber

Hey guys! :)
    I'm really nervous for English ...
    I was wondering if your teachers say anything about predictions like what type of questions will come up for studied drama and poetry? do you think there will be theme/incident/character type questions?
    and does anybody have any predictions for the personal writing essay?
    and im not quite sure how to study for the functional writing... im trying to learn of a movie or book review though...so i'll just see how that turns out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Hey guys! :)
    I'm really nervous for English ...
    I was wondering if your teachers say anything about predictions like what type of questions will come up for studied drama and poetry? do you think there will be theme/incident/character type questions?
    and does anybody have any predictions for the personal writing essay?
    and im not quite sure how to study for the functional writing... im trying to learn of a movie or book review though...so i'll just see how that turns out :)

Our teacher said you can't predict anything, you have to know everything :(

You really should do more than three. You will be lucky if you have one of the options in the exam to write about if you limit the poetry so much.

Also, if a question on a poet comes up, you most certainly will not be able to answer that as you don't have more than one poem done by any one poet.

I'd say learn a few more poems, to be safe.

When You Are Old AND He wishes for the clothes of heaven is done by the same poet. :P

and yeah im gonna learn another 2 poems

Tich Miller (Death & Childhood)
    Going Home to Mayo, Winter 1949 (Places)

is that alright?
    what other important themes for poetry do i have to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

With nearly two days left, the paranoia is setting in. :P Cue irrational doubts about the abilities of calculator batteries, frantic searches for notes already in your hand, pens in your mouth etc, conspiracy theories about ink level indicators in pens, backup solar calculator in bag that may or may not work in the slightly overcast exam hall :D , frantic checking of boards.ie for predictions, bringing in your own T-square/desk/class room, and generally being a nervous wreck.
    :D

Avoid people like me on the day. They'll wreck your confidence, and in the short time you have in the exam, it could throw you sufficiently.

On another note, what's everyone doing in the two hour gap between the exams? I think I'll pop out for lunch and then just study quotes/ past papers for 20 minutes or so to get me in the mood :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ormarred

Any prediction on HL Business Budget?

When You Are Old AND He wishes for the clothes of heaven is done by the same poet. :P

and yeah im gonna learn another 2 poems

Tich Miller (Death & Childhood)
    Going Home to Mayo, Winter 1949 (Places)

is that alright?
    what other important themes for poetry do i have to know?

Oh right :P . You should be grand with them.

im dying.
    lol.

can anyone please tell me the poems they've learned and the theme of the poem please?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭.skid

Any predictions for C.S.P.E? Struggling to get it all covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ciaraaaa

If you do higher level history in question 6 (political developments in Ireland) one of the accounts is meant to be The Civil rights movement in Northern Ireland. Good luck! :)

Advertisement