Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Public Transport Website - justroutes.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Didn't work for me. I entered Aston Quay to Ballyfermot Road and it told me the most direct bus route was the 31B !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Great idea, typically it takes a private individual to provide this info though.

They should provide links to buying lots of travel 90's also, other wise you had better have a lot of loose change for those bus xfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

A great idea but terribly misleading with bus routes.

For example, I typed in Kimmage to Finglas. This is served by cross city route 83. However, according to this website, it states there is no direct route.

I then tried Ashington to Drimnagh Road. These are the terminus points for cross city route 122. Instead, I'm told to get either a 38C or 40D to town and change bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Donnycarney to Rathmines not only didn't give me the new 128, it recommended I walk to the Howth Road instead of the Malahide Road, get a bus to town, then an 11?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It doesn't seem to know about the existence of the 145 bus route either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi - I'm not sure if this has already been posted but just in case - I heard about it on the radio yesterday evening

http://ie.intruders.tv/Interview-David-Rooney-and-Vincent-Glennon-of-JustRoutes-com_a140.html

But basically I think it's fantastic - a super idea and fair play to the lads. Really good work - all off their own backs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed. Idea is good. Implementation is diabolical though.

It uses car directions between stops, rather than the pedestrian straightest way as the crow flys. For example, to cross to the other side of O Connell Street you are told to go round the block, across the liffey and back again, rather than just cross the feckin street.

Try a point to point search on the transort for london site and you'll see how its done. It even lists every flight of steps you may encounter which is handy if you are mobility impaired.

Already a thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055188546

As mentioned in the thread, it's lacking lots of bus routes, and basic information for using public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

doesnt really work, a bit like public transport :)

• Advertisement

It's a work in progress - I say fair play to the lads and I hope it does improve because it's a fantastic idea.

Would be so useful - especially if you are thinking about moving house - you could check routes servicing where you work etc.

Genius tbh!

The only thing worse than having no public transport information, is having misleading information.
    If you use this website for bus information, there is a wrong chance you will end up on the wrong bus.

When launching something like this, it's best to have it perfect before announcing it to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It's a shame that Google Maps doesn't currently have an 'On Foot' travel mode, which would make the directions more useful. Hopefully that will be implemented in a future version.

In the meantime perhaps the JustRoutes guys could have a word with the DTO about the DTO's journey planner which has walk and cycle options, but relies on MapFlow mapping and doesn't include any bus information.

A mashup of the two sites would be interesting, but I imagine the MapFlow mapping isn't easily scrapeable.

In any case, it looks like a lot of work went into the JustRoutes site and I wish the guys behind it well. It does beg the question of why the DTO or even Dublin Bus couldn't have created something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

dto do a walk/cycle route planner. that website told me to get a bus that was a 15 minute walk from my house...i live 3 minutes from a bus stop of a different route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Great idea but the implementation is very poor

Malahide Road only route listed is the 27
    no 27B,20B,42, 42A,43,103,104,128

Howth Road no 32, 32A, 32B

No route 53,53A,51A

No 102

That is just from a quick glance

If you put in Beaumount Hospital from the City centre it offers the 16 or the 27 neither of which go into the Hospital and leave you a good walk away despite the fact that the hospital is directly served by 5 different bus routes 3 of them from the city centre.

Perhaps a copy of the Dublin Bus timetable would have been a good investment before launching the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Anyone doing a site like that would be better off with a GPS recorder and a monthly bus pass. Asking DB for route maps wouldn't be very productive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Alun wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to know about the existence of the 145 bus route either.

I asked it to plot a route from my parents house in Raheny to Lucan, but i gave up reading after it put me on a bus eireann bus to waterford...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

I asked it to plot a route from my parents house in Raheny to Lucan, but i gave up reading after it put me on a bus eireann bus to waterford...

It gave me a BÉ Drogheda bus for the final leg of a Tallaght-airport trip, which seems funny considering the 41s, 746 and 747 are in the database; perhaps it's that the BÉ bus is faster or that the site allows transfer from the Red Line to BÉ at Busáras, but not the 41 at Abbey Street. (Looking at the map of the 41 itself, it doesn't seem to go south of Cathal Brugha Street, which may be part of the problem; I'm at a loss to explain why the 747 is ignored, though.)

I think the idea is very welcome, but it's important to get routes to the airport and other key destinations - ones that are likely to be used by people who aren't familiar with the areas they go through - right at an early stage; also, if the BÉ routes are going to be included, there probably needs to be some way of disabling their use for trips within the DB area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Prof_V wrote: »
    It gave me a BÉ Drogheda bus for the final leg of a Tallaght-airport trip, which seems funny considering the 41s, 746 and 747 are in the database; perhaps it's that the BÉ bus is faster or that the site allows transfer from the Red Line to BÉ at Busáras, but not the 41 at Abbey Street.
    Of course this brings in a further complication. BÉ won't do the Busáras - Airport trip as it is within the DB area.

Does anyone know the guys doing th site?

Victor wrote: »
    Of course this brings in a further complication. BÉ won't do the Busáras - Airport trip as it is within the DB area.

Does anyone know the guys doing th site?

Nope fraid not - just their info that was in the link I posted earler in the thread.

They would love help on this though by the sounds of it so if anyone wants to throw in their knowledge/expertise I'm sure it would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Nope fraid not - just their info that was in the link I posted earler in the thread.

They would love help on this though by the sounds of it so if anyone wants to throw in their knowledge/expertise I'm sure it would be appreciated!

I thought the guy who developed this site posted here in C&T a few months ago?

Edit: found it linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I put a message on his blog,emailed him to say it didn't recognise my road, a number of other roads, he dismissed it and didn't believe me.

I wonder if they would add the details to the opensource os openmap project, doubt it, these guy benefitted from a dcu company incubator to find the time and money to get the bus and trace the routes. Im not sure how'll they make money on it in furture onsite advertising I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Im not sure how'll they make money on it in furture onsite advertising I guess.

Maybe the missing buses, routes, mentioned above are only available in the 'paid' version :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vinnyglennon

Hi all,
    Thanks very all the excellent feedback above. I hope to provide some more information for everyone.
    At the moment, we have about half of the Dublin Bus Services covered, hence why a number of people are getting misleading information, saying for example there is no route near them, when in fact there is many of them. Currently only mapquest gives walking directions between points. Including this with Google Maps would lead to a much slower load up time, but I agree that this is something which needs to be addressed. Athe moment, we are looking at every possible way to solve this using third party data.
    I launched the site early as I wanted to see if this was something that would interest people and also to get feedback. All development and costs are beared by the two founders, we have recieved some money from the Invent Center in DCU to promote them at the FOWA event in London at the start of October, where we were presenting. This covered our flights there. We are not part of any company incubator scheme. In fact we are not even a company, just 2 guys with a good idea.
    All the bus stop locations, have been found by doing what MarkPB suggested, hopping on and off each bus with a GPS device to record each stop. Quite time consuming.
    The 747 has not been ignored, its just that I have not got around to doing it yet. We currently have another person on board to help us get the routes done faster.
    If anybody would like to contact me, my email is Vinny@justroutes.com and my blog is at blog.justroutes.com .
    There is no "paid" version of the site, the justroutes site will always remain free for users like yourself. We have a couple of options for businesses like justroutes.com/dcu/ to embed their location, if anyone is interested, please contact me also at vinny@justroutes.com
    I hope all this helps, and adds a little bit more information to the fire!:)
    Vinny

Thanks for the feedback Vinny. The best of luck with your project.

While it's good to launch things early, there is a danger if somebody logs on and finds it missing some key information, they may not return to your site.

Personally, I would not launch a website giving information to people unless I was sure it was correct and not misleading. I understand the problems with tracing all routes, as it's not unusual for bus routes to change on a weekly basis, but there are some really obvious bus routes missing from your site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres 2 more that I know of who do walking directions
    The Dublin Transport Office : http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm
    and
    via Michelin : www.viamichelin.com

whether they allow 3rd party access to their info is another story.

EDIT:
    Heres the free API page for Via Michelin. It states that one of the features is "Car and pedestrian itineraries",
    http://dev.viamichelin.com/wswebsite/gbr/jsp/vmdn/VMDNHomePage.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

MiniD wrote: »
    While it's good to launch things early, there is a danger if somebody logs on and finds it missing some key information, they may not return to your site.

Agree totally. No offense Vinny but the lack of info has put me off going back. Until I hear that it is sorted and positive reviews I would just consider it a waste as the info would make journeys I make longer / impossible. I still think it is a good idea though. :)

Advertisement