Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How early can I get to ..... by train? (maps)

Options
  • 24-11-2007 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭

I've gone through the main new Irish Rail timetables and have done up maps detailing how early one can get from a main station to anywhere else in the country. It shows up a few wacky bits where it makes sense to take an indirect route (usually through Dublin). Some quite minor changes - adding stops for individual trains in say Portarlington or Kildare could shave hours (or indeed sometimes nearly a day) off certain trips.

Journeys are valid from 21 January to August 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tralee (incomplete).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Very interesting. Where's the 12.31 arrival from Dublin down the Wexford line?

murphaph wrote: »
    Very interesting. Where's the 12.31 arrival from Dublin down the Wexford line?
    Kilcoole - only 3 soundbound trains per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Fair play thats a bit of work Vic...

We need more trains. Never any substantial service later in the evening.

• Advertisement

ian_m wrote: »
    We need more trains. Never any substantial service later in the evening.
    It depends on where you want to go. Quite a few trains operating until midnight (arrival) and nearly 2500 for Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Good maps there, Victor.

We really could do with earlier departures from Dublin and later arrivals. The peak-flow services are getting better (slowly) but in the other direction there hasn't been much if any improvements.

I miss the old 05.20 MO from Dublin that got into Cork for 08.30 although to be fair it was never very busy. I had hoped that they would add a 06.00 daily departure to give a reasonably early arrival in Cork.

Actually just looking at the timetable now I've only just noticed the ridiculous padding they have given all the Dublin-Cork trains between Mallow and Cork. They are all given an extra 10 mns over the 24/25mns it should take. Anything to make it seem like the service runs to time I suppose.

Add that to the 10mns leeway they give themselves and the train needs to be 20mns later than it should be before it is classed as late, and all that on top of a slack schedule that barely matches what was done 20+years ago with 75mph vacuum braked stock.

The last train from Dublin to Wexford departs at 18.37. This does not accommodate people who may have to work late, late night shoppers and shift workers along the Wexford line. The first train to Dublin is at 08.04 the following morning. No train for almost 14hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ian_m wrote: »
    The last train from Dublin to Wexford departs at 18.37. This does not accommodate people who may have to work late, late night shoppers and shift workers along the Wexford line. The first train to Dublin is at 08.04 the following morning. No train for almost 14hours.

The first train to Dublin will be at 06.00 from the new timetable.

Advertisement