Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing pickups.

Options
  • 29-12-2004 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Right, as a lot of the regulars on this board know, I'm planning on changing the EMG pickups I've got in my Virgin and replacing them with the original pickups that came with the guitar. I don't want to get into the whys again here, just that I've been very unhappy with the tone of the EMGs, and I've been set on changing them for quite a while now.

It's worth mentioning that yes, I do have my own soldering iron, and I've had plenty of experience with it, so don't say 'take it to a professional' because I'm confident I can do just as good a job myself, I just need to know what I'm doing first.

The thing I'm unsure about is the fact that they're active pickups and I'm replacing them with passives, so I'm really not sure whether or not its as straight forward as removing the EMGs and putting in the other ones. If it is actually that simple, then all the better, but I thought I'd ask first. I'll be perfectly able to do the re-wiring myself, so it's no problem if there's quite a bit of work involved.

So if anyone would have any help in this matter, that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's pretty simple. Just look up a wiring diagram for your guitar, or similar. If you aren't coil tapping, it's going to be basically soldering the "hot" wire where the old one went, soldering the ground and the shielding to the old ground spot.

If it's a four conductor wire, you will have two wires left, they get soldering together and taped up (unless you are doing a coil tap)

Just make sure you have plenty of spare wire, and solder.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You'll need new pots.

If you have the pickups the next time I'm in Galway, I'll put them in for ya if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

New pots you say? That's strange, I'm fairly certain that they're the exact same ones that's always been in the guitar. But assuming they're not the same ones, just extremely similar, why do I need new ones?

And if you're in galway soon enough, why not?

EMGs use 25k pots. Normal passive pickups need 250K.

I suppose I can come down for some reason. Getting the pickups soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Humbuckers use 500K pots do they not?

Probably not, don't know why I'm thinking this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

feylya wrote:
    EMGs use 25k pots.

Interesting, if he didn't change these originally, he would have the old 500k ones in, which would probably affect the tone greatly, hence his dis-satisfaction.

I've got the pickups already, kept them just for a situation like this when the lads at music maker stuck in the EMGs for me. So, can I just pick the pots up anywhere? Might need to run into town for strings tomorrow anyway.

Ah, I can never remember which uses 250 and which uses 500K.

Yes, EMG's use 25K because they're low impedance or output or something like that...

If the originals were left in when the EMG's were installed, they would sound like muck. Although, when I played the virgin, it sounded okish... I didn't really spend much time trying them.

Tell me, have you replaced the battery in them?

Nope, I've not needed to change it.

How long have you had it in?

• Advertisement

Hmm... how long have I had the pickups? I don't know honestly... Got 'em earlier in the year I think, maybe spring/summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The battery would only be a factor if the tone had changed or signal had weakened. Theres nothing to suggest the pickups sound any different to the day they were installed.

Have a look under the lid at the pots, their value should be stamped on the back.

TBH, it was that gradual that I didn't even notice...

Advertisement