Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Literary agents in Ireland

Options
  • 09-01-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I am finding it difficult to find literary agents in Ireland for women's fiction. There is a list on irelandliteraryguide.com, however, all the emails I have sent have been sent back as 'mail not sent/invalid mail address' etc. I can only assume the list is an old one.

Would anyone have a recent comprehensive list of Irish literary agents please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You tried to email them, eh? Yeah - you and hundreds of others.

Try this website. Or do some google investigation.

http://www.publishingireland.com/writers.shtml

There are also books like the writers and artist year book. But, the advice I would give you is to contact them by post.

Even if you have an email address an unsolicited email is likely to be as welcomed as an email that suggests it can increase their penis size by 5 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

smcgiff wrote: »
    Even if you have an email address an unsolicited email is likely to be as welcomed as an email that suggests it can increase their penis size by 5 inches.

Doubly so for women's fiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

A letter it is so. Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ColdCountyHome

I found this on a google search.

The Lisa Richards Agency
    Founded in 1998
    46 Upper Baggot St
    Dublin 4
    Tel: (01)6603534
    Fax: (01)6603545
    fogrady@eircom.net
    Seeks - Writers of Fiction, Non-Fiction,Childrens and Screenplays.
    Send synopsis, 2 -3 speciman chapters, cover letter and s.a.e. (essential)
    Translation rights handled by The Marsh Agency Ltd.
    No reading fee
    Authors include June Considine, Tara Heavey, Colm Keena, Martin Malone, Pauline McLynn, Sarah O’Brien, David O’Doherty, Damien Owens, Homan Poetterton, Kevin Rafter, Annie Sparrow, Denise Deegan, Paul Howard (Ross O’Carroll-Kelly,) Roisin Ingle and Hector

Good luck!

Thanks for that CCH. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Writerman

Hi there :)

I work as an Irish Literary Agent and accept submissions all year round. I do not charge fees and work with the following genres:

Self-Help, Psychology, Spiritual, Religious, Mind, Body & Spirit, Science, Philosophy, Neuroscience, Natural Medicines, Alternative & Complementary Medicines, Paganism & Shamanism, Christianity, Esoteric, New Generation, Juvenile Fiction & Non-Fiction, Buddhism, Hinduism, Eastern, Transformation, Environment, Sports & Recreation, Study, Travel, Poetry, Nature, Literary Criticism, Language, Arts & Disciplines, Humor, History, Health & Fitness, Family & Relationships, Foreign Language Study, Biography and Autobiography, Love, and Business.

Kind regards,

Cathal O'Briain

irishliteraryagent@gmail.com
    www.cathalobriain.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I found this on a google search.

The Lisa Richards Agency
    Founded in 1998
    46 Upper Baggot St
    Dublin 4
    Tel: (01)6603534
    Fax: (01)6603545
    fogrady@eircom.net
    Seeks - Writers of Fiction, Non-Fiction,Childrens and Screenplays.
    Send synopsis, 2 -3 speciman chapters, cover letter and s.a.e. (essential)
    Translation rights handled by The Marsh Agency Ltd.
    No reading fee
    Authors include June Considine, Tara Heavey, Colm Keena, Martin Malone, Pauline McLynn, Sarah O’Brien, David O’Doherty, Damien Owens, Homan Poetterton, Kevin Rafter, Annie Sparrow, Denise Deegan, Paul Howard (Ross O’Carroll-Kelly,) Roisin Ingle and Hector

Good luck!

She has an excellent reputation, but I met her recently and she said she was not accepting new clients unless they were a writing phenomenon.

Which is, of course, the problem that you are facing.

Depending on the type of women's fiction you write, you might find it more productive to approach publisher directly.

EileenG wrote: »
    She has an excellent reputation, but I met her recently and she said she was not accepting new clients unless they were a writing phenomenon.

Which is, of course, the problem that you are facing.

Depending on the type of women's fiction you write, you might find it more productive to approach publisher directly.

Hmmm, just gotta find out how to make myself a literary phenomenon so! Thanks for replying ;)

Cathal, thanks for your reply. You don't seem to cover the genre that I write in but I appreciate you replying. :)

There are a lot of e-publishers out there who publish women's fiction, and in general, e-pubs will accept direct submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

thinking of doing some writing, if a person's name is stephen king can he use his own name

• Advertisement

skingtile wrote: »
    thinking of doing some writing, if a person's name is stephen king can he use his own name

Yes, but you may find it harder to get published. Chances are you'll be asked to change it in some way, even if it's just to Steve King.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Stiofán Rí

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

thank you for the reply, have always wondered, as you can imagine all the quips i have received over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

You should consider Marianne Gunn O'Connor as she does women's fiction, she represents Celia Ahern etc, you can find out more about her and the submission process at http://www.writing.ie/resources/literary-super-agent-marianne-gunn-oconnor/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Hi there, OP, one thing to keep in mind is that the literary agent 'circuit' in Ireland is, let's say, quite a small, connected, entity. Do not miss out on the UK and USA scene.

For what it's worth, my agent is English, and has no problem dealing with an Irish publisher. However, it does mean that money goes through two currency exchances, which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mary Lynam dunne

I have tried every agency I could find in Ireland but all give the same reply.
    Publish first then you get an agent
    I though it was the other way round?

Not really. Nearly all Irish publishers will accept direct submissions from authors, so you don't need an agent to get a contract. An agent's real job is not finding you a publisher, it's negotiating your contract and getting you the best possible deal.

Don't forget, an agent will take 15% of your royalties on domestic sales and 20% on foreign. Sounds fine when you don't have an income, but when you see the chunk coming out of your cheque, it hurts.

Is your book ready to publish?

Yes, my book is ready to publish.

I would love to have your pain, Eileen

• Advertisement

Yes, my book is ready to publish. I self-published the first book and sold all 400 copies within a few weeks. There was a request for the second Book but I cannot afford to self-publish again. I am also in my 60's and found the travel and self promotion work rather difficult. As a retired Drama/Musical Director I am used to addressing audiences and don't find that daunting at all.

Well, nearly all the Irish publishers will accept direct submissions.

Advertisement