Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning twigs and leaves - Legality

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hi all just looking for a bit of info. Did a big job on the garden and have a big mound of leaves and twigs. I live on the north side of the city and just want to know could I burn off the twigs and leaves a bit at a time or is there restrictions in place to stop me from doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am fairly sure you could get into hassle if someone reported you. But the best place for an answer would be to contact the Environment Department of the City Council or have alook around on their website.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Environment/.

EDIT: It is stated on the site that it is illegal to burn any waste in your back garden.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycleWasteDisposal/WasteatHome/NewsletterFile,1007,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭djdunny

Kess73 wrote: »
    Am fairly sure you could get into hassle if someone reported you. But the best place for an answer would be to contact the Environment Department of the City Council or have alook around on their website.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Environment/.

EDIT: It is stated on the site that it is illegal to burn any waste in your back garden.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycleWasteDisposal/WasteatHome/NewsletterFile,1007,en.pdf

cheers. I'll still give them a ring tomorrow. I would class waste as rubbish ie plastics and papers from the household, so would like someone to clarify. I'll post up what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/advice/waste/burn/

Short version; Garden waste can be burned if it's not too smoky....

Household waste cannot be burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Looks like burning garden waste is now a no, no apparently. http://www.epa.ie/about/faq/#.VUFmYus1jBF

I wonder what's the story with log burning barbecues, chimeras or outside fire pit thingies you can get in most garden and homeware stores these days?
    Is using one of these illegal too??
    How about roasting a spit pig for instance???

if burning of garden waste which includes twigs, etc aha assumedly logs, is supposed to be now illegal, why are sellers not obliged to inform would be buyers of chimeras of this, like on a label on the box or something!?

Seems as grey an area as the smoke from outside fire devices tbh! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Common sense prevails here. Big difference having a couple of logs in a chimney and a pyre of hedge cuttings.

I thought burning household waste is a oil drum in the garden went out with the 80's.

The recycle center in Mungret will take green waste, €5 for a car. You can also take away compost from there for free (quality may vary).

• Advertisement

Pray tell us wingnut, where is this common sense here?

In your opinion is it legal or illegal to burn logs& twigs(I.e. garden waste) in an outside burner??

Because reading the way the law reads, it sure as hell all seems illegal to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

daithi7 wrote: »
    Pray tell us wing nut, where is this common sense here?

In you opinion is it legal or illegal to burn logs& twigs(I.e. garden waste) in an outside burner??

Because reading the way the law reads, it sure as hell seems illegal!!

If you've never noticed the difference between burning seasoned firewood and fresh green twigs and leaves...

If you've never noticed the difference between burning seasoned firewood and fresh green twigs and leaves...

My point is, if it wasn't already obvious , the law does not differentiate now!!:cool:

You are in a comprehension deficit. mgbgt1978's post above sums up the legislation correctly.

The language and layout is awkward, as is usual for these things, but if you READ and UNDERSTAND the following document you will see what is and isn't allowed.

EPA Burning Waste Regs

You are in a comprehension deficit. mgbgt1978's post above sums up the legislation correctly.

The language and layout is awkward, as is usual for these things, but if you READ and UNDERSTAND the following document you will see what is and isn't allowed.

EPA Burning Waste Regs

Terribly sorry Special one, but it appears that you are the one suffering from a 'comprehension deficit', as you so succinctly put it yourself. So for your education and assistance please find the relevant answer from the faq section of the EPA's website, which I sincerely hope rectifies your comprehension, well in this area anyway:

'Is a householder allowed burn hedge clippings and garden waste?

Under the Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal by Burning) Regulations 2009 it is illegal for a householder to burn garden waste, this includes burning of cut tree limbs, hedging, cuttings, clippings after landscaping & gardening works. It is recommended that householders should reuse, compost, shred &/or chip this material. Many Waste Collection companies do not accept garden/organic waste, and some local authorities accept this waste at their civic amenity centres. However, please contact your local authority for further information.

If you wish to complain about somebody illegally burning hedge clippings & garden waste in their back garden please contact your local authority, where your complaint will be investigated...'

More herehttp://www.epa.ie/about/faq/#.VUOqaOs1hhQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

BTW my post here is over 2 years old and the EPA website (and consequently any advice and info there) has changed.

FAQs on a website trump legislation. My oh my, what a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

djdunny wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for a bit of info. Did a big job on the garden and have a big mound of leaves and twigs. I live on the north side of the city and just want to know could I burn off the twigs and leaves a bit at a time or is there restrictions in place to stop me from doing so?

Burn it its a once off evidence will be gone up in smoke !:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

May Eve bonfires would have been the ideal solution, once upon a time!

An File wrote: »
    May Eve bonfires would have been the ideal solution, once upon a time!

Still allowed for in the pdf I linked to, if it has the blessing of the council. Better than people burning couches and whatever other plastic / rubber / synthetic rubbish they burn anyway.

I've read it again and I still can't see how burning seasoned firewood in a chiminea or whatever is a problem. Worst come to worst you have to hold a cocktail sausage to it and call it a bbq. But I guess some people can't see the difference between firewood and burning green waste in a built up area. On the phone now so can't put the smug/cool smiley I got as a response when I suggested that there was a difference but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

daithi7 wrote: »
    I wonder what's the story with log burning barbecues, chimeras
    Since you asked nicely.. The common sense would be you are not going to have the epa/armed response unit breaking down your for throwing a small amount of twigs in with a log fire outside, who would know? A small log fire akin to a BBQ is not going to be on epa radar IMO.

If on the other hand you had a big pile giving off smoke and ash around the area then it would be a problem.

Also since chimeras are mythological creatures I don't think they are coverd by the legislation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

"wingnut wrote: »

The recycle center in Mungret will take green waste, €5 for a car. You can also take away compost from there for free (quality may vary).

They charge you €5 for something with no value and give you valuable compost for free???

Seems retarded

Why not encourage people to drop off garden waste for free and charge for the valuable compost after????????

FAQs on a website trump legislation. My oh my, what a time to be alive.

Well FAQs on a government agency website no less, certainly trump your flawed interpretation and comprehension of the law.

So yes, it is a more enlightened time to be alive than the era you hail from anyways, thankfully!

Advertisement