Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

are led lights as bad as halogen?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I have a 04 mini cooper s with a xenon lights from the factory.
    I don't like that the other bulbs (fogs and full beam) are not as bright and I prefer them to be that bluey white the xenon's are.
    Can I replace them with LED bulbs without going around blinding people, will it pass NCT?
    People with unfocused HIDs drive me mental, I don't want to join their ranks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The higher output lamps on the front depend on an exact relationship between the light source and the reflectors and lenses in the housing. If you put in a light source with different characteristics to the original you're probably going to run into trouble.

If you think there's a problem with the light output there are a few things you can look at: are the lenses clean and in good condition. Also check that they're properly aligned. You can get higher output halogen bulbs too and they tend to offer a slightly whiter light. Osram Nightbreaker plus are quite good IME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

You won't be blinding anyone with those LED drop in bulbs, they're no brighter than side lights. Osram Nightbreakers as mentioned above are the best compromise between brightness and lifespan. You can fit blue tinted bulbs also which give off a cold white light, but you will lose brightness over a common halogen bulb.

You can use HIDs in the full beams without blinding anyone (unless you regularly keep your beams on in traffic?), but they have a warm up time of ~10-15s for aftermarket kits. If you're willing to spend ~€250 per side you can have OEM Bosch ballasts and rebased bulbs that would warm up as quick and colour match your current dipped beams. This is still not "legal" of course, although I'd be surprised if it was ever picked up on.

For fogs you're stuck with halogen bulbs, anything else will reduce the output on the road and/or blind everyone else. Nightbreakers are your best bet here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Alright thanks everyone, i thing ill just stick with night breakers.

Advertisement