Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sitting too high?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭

Said I'd start a thread of my own, instead of cluttering the chat thread. Basically, I've came across pics of st alloys put on a zetec focus. There is no lowering or anything done. Do ye think that it's too high. Don't want to go lowering/cutting springs, so if it looks stupid, I'm going to abandon the whole st look, and just keep it at the zetec spec. So what do ye think?

Tyres on it are 215/45/17, maybe a lower profile tyre would make any difference,if I put 215/35/17's on they would lower it by 20mm I think. The person that owns this car only lowered it by 35mm after these pics were taken.

6zttlu.jpg

ygcph.jpg

fe1jd1.jpg

33lgn04.jpg

2lxzdk3.jpg

5nniab.jpg

2hda0et.jpg

2py9b9u.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I think it looks a touch too high, especially at the back, but more importantly, I wouldn't be cutting your springs to lower the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't go that low in the profile on a car (35) not designed for very low profile can make it fierce twitchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Looks to me your wheels are just too big.

Why modified the car to match wrong size alloys when the simple solution is put the correct size alloys and tyres back on car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Lower it but don't cut the springs, do it properly not half arsed and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Fitting shorter springs is better than cutting original springs but its going to change the handling and not always in a positive dirrection.

I was big into lifting Jeeps and there is much more than stuffing in bigger springs

same applies to smaller springs.

Roll bar drop links and shocks are designed to work at a set spring hight move out side their range and the handling will suffer. Little issues like unusual bushing and tyre wear are only noticable over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Given the state of our roads dont lower it too much as it will be bottoming out. Also, handling will go out the window as suspension angles will be all wrong and there won't be enough travel in the suspension to function properly.

As an aside, don't go too low on the sidewall profile, unless you want overwork the shocks and bushings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Last thing I wanted to do was go messing around with springs, lowering etc. The only reason I said cutting springs is because it was suggested somewhere before, I don't know the in's and outs of it.

Half thinking of abandoning the idea and putting 16 zetec's on...

1307883321016.jpg

I take it there won't be any problems or discrepancy's going from 15's to 16's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

too high, should look like this
    111lcle.jpg

plenty of ST170s scrapped on ebay, just buy ST170 springs for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

corktina wrote: »
    too high, should look like this
    111lcle.jpg

plenty of ST170s scrapped on ebay, just buy ST170 springs for it

Buy the shocks and springs if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

may as well get the rear disc set up too....(or just buy an ST170, they are very cheap.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Should have just bought an ST170, would have saved me all of this. Going to buy 16's instead. Thanks for the help anyway lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just to add that the rear suspension of the focus is deliberately set higher than the front. Some have added coilovers on the rear to set it the lower.

Here's mine when I got her.
    Before standard ride height on 15's.
    IMG_1565.jpg

After lowered on eibachs 30mm and 17's.
    IMG_2161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

That front wheel looks oddly offset under the front arch. Slight turn in the wheel not picked up by the camera well maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I think it's just the angle of the shot and crappy camera.

Advertisement