Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Onions

Options
  • 02-11-2011 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Have lots of onions which are well dried out by now. Some are starting to rot a little bit from the top. I haven't cut the stems off, should I cut them off?
    They are spaced out on chicken wire, raised about a foot off the ground in a big well ventilated shed. Some are getting a bit of mould already. Whats the best way to save them?
    I hung them up last year by the stems in the same shed and most got mouldy before I got to use them. Will be gutted if I lose them again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

emer_b wrote: »
    Have lots of onions which are well dried out by now. Some are starting to rot a little bit from the top. I haven't cut the stems off, should I cut them off?
    They are spaced out on chicken wire, raised about a foot off the ground in a big well ventilated shed. Some are getting a bit of mould already. Whats the best way to save them?
    I hung them up last year by the stems in the same shed and most got mouldy before I got to use them. Will be gutted if I lose them again.

You need drier air, I use to dry my onions spread out on wooden trays in the green house to cure the skins. Then stored them in a cool dry place. Best storage tip is to use your worst quality first and keep your best onions till last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

This is neck rot which only manifests itself in storage. Remove the rotting ones immediately and check the rest or you are likely to lose the lot.

Advertisement