Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall thin shrubs / Boundary

Options
  • 26-10-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to plant tall growing narrow circumferance shrubs as a boundary on either side of my property to stop the postman walking across my front lawn.

I want zero maintenance / cutting or as close to zero as possible...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A wall or fence might suit you better!

Slow growing thin tall hedge might be yew? Might be able to get them bareroot this time of year. Will still need to cut them once a year though.

You can cut beech quite thin as well... tall bareroot ones available now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Have you asked him not to walk on the lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

a couple of nice shrubs in decent sized containers placed in the gap, zero maint. but a little watering. or a conifer thuja smaragd (spelling?) would suit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Buxus is your man, slow growing, cheap enough to buy and maintain, also, you cannot but notice that it's there, so the postman will get the message. The other one you might try is the old fashioned, privet hedge. Buy it now in bare root form and in a couple of years you'll have a lovely tall green thin hedge. This is the one i'd sow myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

headmaster wrote: »
    Buxus is your man, slow growing, cheap enough to buy and maintain, also, you cannot but notice that it's there, so the postman will get the message. The other one you might try is the old fashioned, privet hedge. Buy it now in bare root form and in a couple of years you'll have a lovely tall green thin hedge. This is the one i'd sow myself.
    Privet didn't survive the two past severe winters in many parts of the country. Taxus baccata fastigiata's your only man if you want low
    maintenance. They aren't inexpensive but they are slow growing and can be cut back hard if necessary - unlike the majority of columnar Cypresses.
    You should be able to buy them as bare roots from now on.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs_PNKdOJacrtQWpIUT-pJdydqaOiMjKaO1NvNvZ1gEzP3VvNa2Q

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

slowburner wrote: »
    Privet didn't survive the two past severe winters in many parts of the country.

To slowburner,
    funny you should say that about privet, because, out of over 100 of those plants, I lost none at all, not one. Some have been down 2 years, some 5 years and some are 10 years +. In the same garden, I lost very many plants and none of these, or buxus. Temperatures last year were crazily bad, if we get the same this year I don't know how people will react next year, ie, as regards planting. Grisselenia and the likes all killed last year, the weeds were killed too, but all have recovered since, ha ha.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs_PNKdOJacrtQWpIUT-pJdydqaOiMjKaO1NvNvZ1gEzP3VvNa2Q

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

headmaster wrote: »
    slowburner wrote: »
    Privet didn't survive the two past severe winters in many parts of the country.

To slowburner,
    funny you should say that about privet, because, out of over 100 of those plants, I lost none at all, not one. Some have been down 2 years, some 5 years and some are 10 years +. In the same garden, I lost very many plants and none of these, or buxus. Temperatures last year were crazily bad, if we get the same this year I don't know how people will react next year, ie, as regards planting. Grisselenia and the likes all killed last year, the weeds were killed too, but all have recovered since, ha ha.
    All down to microclimates and macroclimates I suppose, things like the sun hitting frost covered plants in the morning etc. No privet survived in my part of the world - even Furze succumbed but they're coming back.

Advertisement