Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my orchid

Options
  • 30-10-2011 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I was given an orchid about 18months ago. it was bought in tesco for €3 on a reduced shelf as the flowers were falling off. When I got it it was planted in bark chippings and it fell over quite a bit and fell out of its pot, so I repotted it in normal potting compost with a few road chipping size stones in it, in a bigger pot and put it on the toilet cistern in my bathroom, it hasnt stopped flowering since then, once with up to 18 flowers on it at any one time,
    I suppose my question is - is this normal? I have about 20 house plants and they're all doin quite well but this orchid is unbelievable to say the least, whats making it flower so much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most satisfying plants ever! I have much the same story, white orchid given to me last Christmas. It flowered quite nicely then died off. I gave it one feed of baby bio type stuff and at the moment it has 32 flowers on 5 branches and has been in flower since the start of the summer - around May I think. There seems to be about 4 buds still to come. I have it in a west facing kitchen window, and it is still in the woodchip stuff it came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I suppose the rule of thumb with orchids is, they like a loose compost and you've provided that. They will grow quite happily in a coarse peat mix but like all plants, individuals can buck the trend.
    I have two Moth orchids within two feet of one another, both in the same compost and both treated exactly the same. One is covered in blooms and the other has been bare for weeks.

Advertisement