Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large Hardon Crumblider

• 06-11-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭

I reckon that Homer Simpson's working at CERN:eek:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/physics/article6905250.ece

The rehabilitation of the beleaguered Large Hadron Collider was on hold tonight after the failure of one of its powerful cooling units caused by an errant chunk of baguette.
    The £4 billion particle-collider faced more than a year of delays after a helium leak stymied the project in its first few days of operation. It is gradually being switched back on over the coming months but suffered a new setback on Tuesday morning.
    Scientists at the CERN particle physics laboratory in Geneva noticed that the system’s carefully monitored temperatures were creeping up.
    Further investigation into the failure of a cryogenic cooling plant revealed an unusual impediment. A piece of crusty bread had paralysed a high voltage installation that should have been powering the cooling unit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

A piece of bread: Saving our entire solar system from destruction, one hadron colider at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

one theory is that the observation of a higgs boson will be such an abhorrent and catastrophic event that future influences are rippling across time and space in order to sabotage the machine and save mankind;therefore this sandwich has obviously come from the future to save us and should be lauded as a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Garlic bread? Garlic bread? Garlic? Bread? Am I hearin' you right? Garlic bread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wudangclan wrote: »
    one theory is that the observation of a higgs boson will be such an abhorrent and catastrophic event that future influences are rippling across time and space in order to sabotage the machine and save mankind;therefore this sandwich has obviously come from the future to save us and should be lauded as a hero.

Crumbs, I never thought of that.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt be surprised if there was a very organised series of sabotages to the LHC.

So many people are irrationally terrified of the thing. Remember the girl who killed herself the day it was originally meant to be test-fired?

• Advertisement

did the sandwich perhaps have some of this spread on it?
    that'd rightly mess up the hadron collider .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think it's the mere existence of the particle rather than the observation.

[edit] My own theory about the use of cheap E. Eurpoean labour to install vital cooling and back up systems probably holds more water....this stale bread incident goes a ways to backing mine up.
    Bread from the future indeed....if the bread was from the future then it wouldn't be stale. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

mikom wrote: »
    Garlic bread? Garlic bread? Garlic? Bread? Am I hearin' you right? Garlic bread?

its a taste sensation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps the "baguette" is the particle that they've been looking for all along. It could have materialised when they first switched it on, in which case, it would have cost a lot less to go down the deli and discover it.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps the "baguette" is the particle that they've been looking for all along. It could have materialised when they first switched it on, in which case, it would have cost a lot less to go down the deli and discover it.

unless it was from o'briens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Terry wrote: »

i'm lost?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What are those scientists playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It is lucky they caught this early or else the whole system could have been toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

They paid how many million for an atom smasher that can't crush a piece of bread...

*sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i'm lost?

;)
    A bit too obscure. :)

Can't find the one where 790 gives the exact mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The £4 billion particle-collider .

Jeez, that's some amount of dough...

Terry wrote: »
    A bit too obscure. :)

Can't find the one where 790 gives the exact mass.

copy-pasted
    If you ever watched the show "Lexx", then you'll figure out that the last episodes why they called earth a type 13 planet, seems in the show that scientists destroy a planet to the size of a pea by achieving the next bosun particle, using a super collider they think will get lots of energy but just goes super critical at 13131313131313 numerical value, probably meant in my opinion to signify pi of 3.14.........................to 8(INFINITY) but it curves inward .01 short of 3.14 to 3.13 thus signifying a black hole in theory since it would be .313131313131313......to 8(infinity) inwards which should in theory be more than the smallest element known to the universe that would equal any mass, all of which would signify that though black holes do exist, they don't or won't end up nowhere but do come out somewhere.

this passage goes to demonstrate that had it been a pi instead of a sandwich we would no longer be in existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

DigiGal wrote: »
    They paid how many million for an atom smasher that can't crush a piece of bread...

*sigh
    Atoms are waaay smaller than bread, damnit! :mad:

jumpguy wrote: »
    Atoms are waaay smaller than bread, damnit! :mad:

relativity speaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement