Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Seekers Allowance Question

• 16-08-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi everyone I was just hoping maybe someone could shed light on a question I have? I unfortunately lost my job a few months ago and am currently on “Job Seekers Benefit”. I’m 23 with my parent’s living in Cork and am currently renting a room in a two bed roomed house from a male friend of mine. I’m afraid that when applying for allowance when my benefit run’s out that I will be mistaken for cohabiting? I’m single and quite frankly “bat for the other team” anyway if you pardon the expression, and was wondering if this will be the case? Although my housemate is a friend I’m quite sure he’d sooner have another housemate take my place rather than pay my rent, food bills for me! I’d appreciate any feedback for this slightly awkward situation! :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I think it might have been better to start another thread but a mod might split it for you.

When you entitlement to JSB runs out you will be placed onto JSA automatically which is means tested. You will need to inform them that you are simply rent a room from him and that you are not cohabiting. That way only your financial situation is taken into account AFAIK. They will ask for things like bank statement covering the last 6 months or so. As long as you can satisfy the means test you should be entitled to JSA.

Have you looked into rent allowance? If you are entitled to rent allowance, an inspector will come out to visit so make sure they are all aware that you are just renting a room and not living as a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mscoffeejunkie

Thanks’ Yawn’s,

That’s a relief to hear! They’ll find two very separate bedrooms’ if they pay me a
    visit. Hopefully I’ll find something before and avoid the situation entirely. All in all it’s a slightly soul destroying process. :(

Advertisement