Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acceptable to go on the dole for 4 months to try and achieve my dream?

• 26-03-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've never been the type of person you'd consider a waster, I done very well in my leaving cert and also graduated with a decent degree from college. But since I graduated I've been in constant unease. I am not at a point in my life where I wanna climb the corporate ladder, so the 1 year I have worked since finishing college wasn't my happiest time. So i'm considering goal on the dole for 4 months.

My ultimate goal is to live a location independant lifestyle. Not necessarily for good, but at this relatively young stage in my own life, I find I have a craving to see as much of the world as possible. And to do it for periods longer than the 3 weeks annual leave you tend to get in most office jobs.

I'm away at the moment and when I return home I plan on not looking for a job as such, but to spend my days looking for a way to build up a source of income that allows me to work anywhere I want in the world. I'm not talking mega money, but enough to get by and fund travels. I was considering freelance online writing, but I'd be building up my reputation from complete scratch.

I've wanted to live away from home for ages but anxieties and doubts have kept putting me off. Parents and grandparents asking why i'm not settling down, why I don't get a steady job. Me doubting myself, whether I'd be able to do something like this, whether I'd just end up blowing my money (I've 6000 in savings), whether i should try and do similar to most other people my age.

I plan on having structure to my days on the dole. Gym first thing, followed by 2 hours in the library, then lunch then another 3 hours writing online. I guess what i'm wondering is this acceptable, to purposefully go on the dole while trying to fulfill my dream? Is what i'm trying to achieve a fantasy or can it be done? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i have watched my son on the dole for the last three years have the life and soul ripped out of him while he looked for work thankfully after 8 months of trying with a company he has got a job at level entry pay in a arera that isnt his first chioce

you are living in a fantasy world

if your that serious about your dream job, move out of home and live off your savings ,after a month of gym and loungeing around , you should have enough fire in your belly to make it work

please note that the dole isnt a lifestyle chioce ,its there to help people keep heads above water in diffcult times

p.s you have no right to live off taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I I guess what i'm wondering is this acceptable, to purposefully go on the dole while trying to fulfill my dream? Is what i'm trying to achieve a fantasy or can it be done? Thanks for any advice.

Acceptable to who? To a bunch of people you've never met? Will you sleep easy doing what you want to do? Can you manage doing it? Will it be a risk worth taking, do you think, to ultimately bringing you closer to your goal? You don't need anyone else's permission, you just need to believe in your own plan, and be able to say that you did what was right for you, by you. Nobody else can provide you with peace of mind.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If you want to travel then travel and get a job there.

If you think you are going to build up a reputation in your room banging on a keyboard you have no idea friend.

Just go, you will find opportunities will open up when you are on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Haters gonna hate. Just life your life and don't be worrying about what other people think. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You've 6000 euro in savings? Why on earth would you feel the need to claim welfare with that sort of cash stashed away. I've been working full time or 15 years (currently have one full time job and one part time job) and I don't have 6000 in savings. I don't even have 600 euro in savings. Wanna know why? Cos half my salary is taken off me in tax to pay for, amongst other things, social welfare.

The dole is there to help people who genuinely need it. People who are not able to find work and need a helping hand along the way. Having said all that half of my friends are on it, and have been for the last 10-20 years, all of them able to work, none of them willing. For every ungenuine case like them and IMO like you, you're taking money from not only the pockets of the taxpayers (like me) but also from the pockets of the genuine job seekers.

Get your action plan up and running but you don't need the dole to do it, and TBH if you go on the dole it can be very unmotivating and might go against you. If you can see your piles of saving deminishing it will help you get your plan up and running quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anyone I know living a location independent lifestyle got the job first, then did the travelling. Make a name for yourself writing, then you can do it as you travel around.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Unemployment assistance and unemployment benefit is a payment made to people who are actively looking for work. You aren't planning to do that. So you are planning to take money from the state under false pretences. Think carefully about that, and the implications of lying to Department of Social Protection. The DSP has clamped down on those who are signing on and rightly so. You will have to prove that you are actively, genuinely, looking for work. They may insist you attend courses or interviews. If you are abroad, then you need to see if you even qualify for DSP benefits. Then there will be a delay while your claim gets processed. You may be means tested. And you no longer get benefits paid into a bank account (see: clamping down) so will have to present yourself for payment or attend DSP appointments as they deign fit.

So maybe first, establish what career goal you have - is it really writing? Do you have talent? have you put in for short stories or creative writing competitions, or do you run a successful blog? Its an area that is very hard to get into - I've seen very talented Boardsies on the Creative writing forum work and work at it. I know several talented journalists who simply cannot get work anywhere.

Or is it that you just want to be your own boss and not have to deal with the rat-race commute, weirdo colleagues and office politics? If that's the case, we all would love that. We would all love a day structured like yours, but short of winning the National Lottery, its not going to happen.
    Have you established what careers are independent of location? Have you assessed whether any of these are for you? I really don't think that you have.

You say you want to follow your dream, but you don't know what your dream is by the sounds of it. So how can you follow it, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Um, why cant you freelance write in the evenings with a full time job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I know someone who is "location independent" for her job as a blogger. You know how long it took her? 6 years. 6 long hard years of working full time in a job she tolerated. 6 long years of basically doing 2 full time jobs, one she got paid for and one she did as a labour of love until she started to get some cash flow from it. 6 years of writing 6 hours in the evening or going to various networking events and conferences related to her field.

2 years ago, she took the plunge and went full time - at the time, her salary was 1/3 of what it had been, but she had saved up around 200K to cushion as she made the transition. When she made the transition she immediately moved to a cheap studio apartment and cut her costs so that she wouldn't need that 200k cushion.

Now? I got an email from her recently, she's in Thailand en route to China and then will be back in Hawaii where she has a home base that she uses when writing books. Still writing frantically every few days. 2 of her books have sold well (and 2 not so well) and she is a speaker well known in her field. She's entering into her conference season so will be going from city to city for the next few weeks.

But it took years, not months.

Go, spend your 6K (for reality check, that would last around 6-9 months if frugally spent in Thailand). Also, it is tales like this that make me glad I am no longer a tax payer in Ireland. The dole is called "jobseekers" benefit for a reason and is not for the purpose you see it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

If you quit your job you won't be entitled to jobseeker's benefit for 9 weeks, fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

To me it's simply fraud. The social welfare system is not there to give you the option not to work.

You are capable of working, and by the sounds of it well qualified. If you can't find a job, that's one thing, but to make a choice not to work and have other people fund you while you chase your dream, that is an entirely different thing.

6 grand in savings? You are looking to have your cake and eat it. Put your money where your mouth is and use that to fund you whilst you work things out.

If your goal involved gaining experience etc in carer in Ireland and thus meant you'd be paying back into the system I would say yes but your goal is to leave Ireland so you won't be contributing into the system that would be helping you.

I work a job that lets me travel and work pretty much anywhere (art related) but I worked my ass of to reach the point were I had the contacts and experience to pick and chose my clients and work. I worked a 9 to 5 job and in the evenings worked 6pm to 2am on my own work. I gave up all my weekends and holidays to travel to industry related events to show my work and gain the contacts I needed and I managed to save nearly 10 grand to live on while I took a huge gamble and went it on my own full time and there were several times I wasn't sure it was going to work. Money was super tight as I had to spend money going to events related to the field. You might think blogging or travel writing is all online but it's not, I work with a lot of people doing that work in relation to my work and it's very hard to make an impact on it just by sitting at home writing online.

I was (and still am) super passionate about what I do, the travel is a bonus. If your only goal is to travel then look for work in the country/countries you want to travel to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Others have echoed my feelings on using the dole as a safety net while you set yourself up for the kind of life you want, so I won't repeat those.

What I will say is that you're fooling yourself on how much can be made by writing articles freelance online. I know qualified and experienced journalists who had to give up freelancing as it was bringing in next to nothing. The expectation that writers will work for nothing or for "exposure" is endemic. The blogosphere is saturated with talented writers working for little or nothing. Unless you have something very in demand and unique to offer, this just isn't a runner as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you had a career in mind, then yea, I would say it was acceptable, but you have no idea what you want to do so I think you should work until you find that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Just to add to what KP said, most of the work in online freelance writing is for content farms (you've seen the articles: 10 reasons why you shouldn't eat x, 5 reasons you should visit y) and the pay is awful.

To make a basic living, you need to be able to put down 5000+ reasonably well written and researched words a day (that's smallish novel every 2 weeks). This isn't going to happen in 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This is a sad indictment of our welfare system and of you personally op.

If you want to travel then build up your funding by working, not by sponging off the taxpayers. We are not here to support you while you "find" your place in life, we are here to support you in times of need. You sound pretty immature if you thought you would get support here for your plan. Most people immigrate to work so if you want to go, then go now and stop thinking that those who do work should support you by paying for your ticket.

Lux23 wrote: »
    If you had a career in mind, then yea, I would say it was acceptable, but you have no idea what you want to do so I think you should work until you find that out.

Sorry, but under what circumstances is it acceptable for a person who is fit and able to work to make a conscious decision to live off the state instead of going out and finding a job?

Sorry, but under what circumstances is it acceptable for a person who is fit and able to work to make a conscious decision to live off the state instead of going out and finding a job?

If the way into that career was a jobbridge position or if Solas training was a springboard into a jobs market maybe? Unfortunately some entries to trades or professions or some courses are only made available to jobseekers, so in that instance, and if it was with a clear goal of upskilling in a certain area and temporary I don't think its too bad.

Neyite wrote: »
    If the way into that career was a jobbridge position or if Solas training was a springboard into a jobs market maybe? Unfortunately some entries to trades or professions or some courses are only made available to jobseekers, so in that instance, and if it was with a clear goal of upskilling in a certain area and temporary I don't think its too bad.

Ok that's fair and an angle I hadn't particularly considered.

In the ops case though this is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

its not acceptable but it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

If you quit your job you won't be entitled to jobseeker's benefit for 9 weeks, fyi.

Not true.
    Every individual case is different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Fudge You wrote: »
    Not true.
    Every individual case is different.

Sure. But if you leave your job voluntarily without good reason, as in this case, you're disqualified for 9 weeks.

I used to work in the dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I plan on having structure to my days on the dole. Gym first thing, followed by 2 hours in the library, then lunch then another 3 hours writing online.

:confused: There is no method to your madness.
    If you "work" 5/6 hours writing (and on the dole) per day, that does not make economical sense. I wouldnt call that a (good) plan.

Your aim should be to get a job, then in the evenings/weekends (like most regular people), do your "hobby" with a view to building up something, over time.
    What i'm wondering is this acceptable, to purposefully go on the dole while trying to fulfill my dream?
    Well, no. Its not acceptable. Is it possible to do what you "plan"? Yes. Is it moralistically right? No.

I would be seriously concerned for someone who believes that they can live off the dole, write some stuff with no experience/background/porfolio, have money, and go travelling.

Is what i'm trying to achieve a fantasy or can it be done? Thanks for any advice.

But what is the "achievement"? Is is the dole or to build up a portfolio/gain experience etc? You can build up a portfolio etc while also working.

OP, I am going to be harsh and point out to you what nobody else has. Your grammar is not good. Your writing style is also not good.

If you want to be a writer, you need to learn how to write (and possibly speak) English properly. After that, courses on how to write would be good. Read loads of books and newspapers. Educate yourself and at the end of that long process, think about what you want to do with your life. For my part, anyone who writes "I done" doesn't have a great grasp of the English language and certainly isn't going to be able to grasp the technicalities of language needed to be a writer.

Travel, find a job and get some life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Like others I think that you definitely don't have the right to take tax payers' money when you are not a legitimate job seeker.
    I also think that you can come up with all the structured plans you like, but it would take huge discipline to motivate yourself to follow through on that plan every single day if you don't have a boss or deadlines to get you up in the morning. And if you do possess that level of personal discipline, there should be nothing stopping you from doing as others have suggested, working an actual job to pay your dues and sitting down to write when you come home.. Incidentally, that is how Salman Rushdie organised his time when he wrote Midnight's Children, he was working in advertising.
    you need only look at any of the threads in the work and jobs forum where people are talking about experiences of unemployment to see that not having work, a daily routine and colleagues really gets people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

I think you are living in fairy land. If changing your life is a priority then you can and should find a way to do that, while working.

Social welfare is not there for people who want to go find themselves or just dont feel like working.

I know people like you... they piss around being "musicians" when the reality is, they sleep in half the day and party for the rest of it. They stick their hand out and ask the rest of us, the tax payers to pay for their life style. I personally believe if you want to be a musician or a writer, then make that work for you but it needs to bring in a income, and if it doesnt then it becomes a hobby you do after work.

It infuriates me when I talk to people like you ... I get up and go to work every single day for a salary so I can pay rent , bills and a truck load of taxes to support systems like social welfare.

The social welfare is there is as a safety net for people who are desperately in need. Not for people like you. Grow up and act like an adult. You have no business living of the state when you dont need to. By using the social welfare system in the manner you suggest demonstrates a total lack of integrity, understanding of how much hard work is required to get what you want and an willingness to compromise and live in the real world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I don't want to be horrible here but if you're harbouring notions of becoming a writer, your first port of call should be some grammar lessons. Your first sentence alone has punctuation issues and a howler in the form of "I done very well..." The rest of your post is no better I'm afraid. In other words, if you think someone should pay you for the quality of your writing, you'd better pull up your socks. Seriously - read back through what you've written and see can you pick holes in it?

If you want to make money from freelancing, why do you have to quit your job to do this? You still have several hours to yourself in the evenings, not to mention Saturdays and Sundays. Why can't you work on your ideas then and see if they can float? Then if you can see an income coming from those, you can make a decision.

OP you don't give any reason why it is that you can't work if you're going to write. Could you clear that up?

Personally I'd have to echo other posters in that as a taxpayer myself this cuts pretty close to the bone. I work a job I hate, that takes up most of my life, leaves me scrambling and fighting to find the time to do what I want. I get to the gym about twice a week, depending on whether I get out of work when I'm supposed to. I'd love to go all the time. The idea that my taxes would go into a state fund that then pays for your gym membership because you want to hit the gym before you spend the rest of the day enjoying yourself (because as you've said, writing is something you'd love to do) leaves me feeling a little ill. I'd love to write too, but unfortunately I don't even have the time to read because I'm required by my job to study for exams, which takes up any reading time I can get together in the evening.

We all know that many people abuse the welfare in this country. That's a fact. But OP, you're smart. You're educated. You intend to work. You have motivation. You have no excuse. I can see where your line of thought has come from, but I think you need to take a step back, look at the big picture, and realise you're better than this.

Get a job. Pay tax. Work on your writing in your free time. If it's something you want, there's nothing stopping you. There's absolutely no reason to go on the dole. We'd all love to focus our time on pursuing our dreams, but if we did, there'd be no dole to collect because there'd be no taxes to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

OK so the idea is essentially to go on the dole for max 4 months to establish yourself as a writer online, so you can make money writing online, to fund travelling the world?

That makes absolutely no logical sense. Others have mentioned you'd be waiting 9 weeks for job seeker's benefit, that it is technically fraud and that the dole is not a vehicle for making changes in your life but actually the plan itself makes no sense as you can work any job and save up the money needed to travel the world.

What do you plan to write about? Yourself? An area of expertise such as you studied in? Your life experiences? A novel? Historical items that require more than basic googling such as hours of research, trips to national archives, etc?

Have you any experience in writing? Have you ever had anything published? Have you ever engaged with amateur writing groups, or established, more focused literary groups? Do you know how online writing works, how you can - if you can - make money from it? What you may want to write about may already have a full audience eg celebrity stuff there is literally plenty of websites you can go to full of articles, most just copied and pasted verbatim from some other site. How if any genre would you make what you're writing about stand out differently from the thousands of other bloggers?

If you want an independent lifestyle, independent of your family, then just move out of home; if you want to travel the world, then travel the world but fund it yourself by saving and you can either work and save and go, or just work and take a few days holidays at a time and go. Look into work and travel visas, working holiday visas, see if you can apply for those. It doesn't have to be a work and take your annual leave scenario and that's that.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to travel. But I think you are being completely unrealistic in how you are hoping to go about it. The only money that is in writing is if you are a journalist and there's a steady income, you are a published author of books in fact or fiction ... and then there's ad and traffic dependent online writing, which is a common form I've come across, it's not going to be bread and butter money, and once interest wanes and the clicks no longer generate revenue - what then?

You might find yourself at the mercy of the Dept of Social Protection and paying those months you've been on the dole out of your savings if they decide that what you are doing is fraudulent on their terms. In addition, those fresh and new to the dole are actively more encouraged back off it quicker than those considered long term unemployed and you might find that rather than Dept of Social Protection giving you the time to go to the gym and write online for the day, they might insist (via assertions of cutting your dole off) you go to training courses or other things.

But I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. What could be 4 months on the dole could be 14 months just as easily and you could have started out with the whimsical idea of turning yourself into an online writer to fund travelling, only to find yourself at the mercy of the dole, at the mercy of bills and living expenses, the prospect of living on a heck of a lot less than you are used to, stress from delays in SW coming through, stress from the hoops of paperwork you have to go through, the risk of that rejection at any turn until you are granted it, eating at your savings to maintain a standard of living (such as paying for your gym membership, phone, internet, rent, food, personal hygiene stuff, going out, travel, etc) that you will have no choice but to cut because €188 (and less) depending on your situation isn't a lot compared to what you could earn working and you could be facing never making a dent in the online writing world, having wasted away 14 months trapped on the dole, your savings gone, a big gap on your CV, the opportunity to travel an impossibility because you've no money at all, and kicking yourself for not having stayed in a job, because in that 14 months you could have saved money and gone, or used your savings and gone, got a visa and gone.

• Advertisement

OP here again...

I probably came across as a bit of an eejit for asking about the acceptability of going on the dole but I am coming towards the end of a trip and am a bit depressed so I didn't really think it through. I understand in this situation it would be wrong to claim it. Being honest I was just thinking of the easiest way to conserve savings without questioning the ethics of it.

I have actually been unemployed for the last 8 weeks (6 of which I've been away for), but my original post wasn't phrased in such a way as to address my fundamental question. And that is, whether or not it's ok to take time out from working in order to try and build up some sort of online income? I guess what I really want to do is work and travel. To be honest I don't have any particular career in mind, I've just been reading some popular blogs about how people have been able to fund this kind of lifestyle and freelance writing popped up (but apparently i'm a useless writer because of some grammatical errors on a random internet forum). I probably am a poor writer, I don't really know. It's something I've never tried. The question I wanted to ask originally was, whether it is something worth trying? Even for a few months? The reason i'm thinking of online work is because I have no particular skillset that can be utilized in the typical working holiday situation. I've never worked as a barman, waiter, etc. As a guy with low confidence socially, I know I would struggle if I jumped in the deep end and took one of the standard working holiday jobs. Teaching is also something that I would struggle with and this is another common way to work and travel.

Three things I have on my side are time, motivation and a lack of debt. I don't see myself wanting to start a family or anything like that soon. I went away this time with every intention to work and travel, but self-doubt and anxiety got in the way and I booked a flight home. I just want to know am I chasing something that is not realistic? Can the low social confidence be overcome? Am I better off addressing this at home with a therapist and then maybe heading back abroad in a few months with a renewed sense of confidence and self-worth that a therapist can provide? I suppose this is how I should've phrased the original post but I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote it. This will probably get buried underneath the mass of replies that have justifiably criticized my intention to go on the dole, but if anyone reads it and has some sage advice that would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Administrators Posts: 14,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

whether or not it's ok to take time out from working in order to try and build up some sort of online income?

You're sort of putting the cart before the horse. Most people who build up an online income do so alongside a job. You need money to live on, and you want to save money to enable you to travel. The dole doesn't allow for savings. It covers living expenses. So unless you are coming home to parents who are going to pay for everything so that you can save your dole money for flights etc, then you need to get some sort of job and build your online profile at the same time.

As others have mentioned, online writing is tough. The market is flooded with would be writers all trying to make a few quid, and a name for themselves. You mention anxiety issues. Are you confident enough and pushy enough to make your mark? Writing for many has to start off as the hobby. With "real work" providing the source of income needed to live. And bit by bit after many years of hard work the writing might become successful and start bringing in some money. But you are not going to take 4 months out and then become an online writer with enough income to be a world traveller.

Have you looked into courses you could do at home? Journalism? Creative writing? You might qualify for a back to education grant.

I get your dream.. I just think you're doing it backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I also think you're going about it the wrong way, but as an idea it's not bad. If you are suffering from anxiety or depression (rather than just feeling a bit down in the dumps) then yes, you need to get help for those medical issues, same as you would if you had a chest infection. Your current plan would give you so much time in your head that I can't imagine it would be good for you. And if you do need therapy, dole money won't leave you with much over to pay for it.
    my advice is still the same, just work. you wouldn't be the only person working and pursuing your interests out of office hours and you would be among people, so more likely to find someone with a contact abroad. and if your qualifications are likely to get you into the corporate world, you could get a job in an internationally based company where you could travel with work down the line.
    plus, an aspiring writer needs material.. If your life consists of gym, write, eat, sleep, repeat, you won't have much to base your writing on. Working would give you access to people and events that could inspire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

OP, your low social confidence issue, where has that come from.?

I think I understand your question, you would like a job that allows you to travel..something like teaching English in Japan, barman in a pub in where ever... but your problem is

-You suffer from anxiety
    -You are already unemployed
    -You want to know if its possible to overcome your anxiety and work out the next step in your life.

Your question, is it worth spending time trying something: Absolutely yes, try everything but you need to try the right things and be smart, you have a little nest egg and you'll kick yourself if you blow it just surviving.

You tried to go traveling rencetly and you came back to Ireland because of your anxiety. If I was you I'd

-Find a therapist here in Ireland to work through your anxiety
    -Get writing, join a writers group, you said, you've never done this before, well start doing it today, start a blog, get a you tube channel, all of these things are free and see if you like it etc
    -Try and find a job...Having a job gives you options, being on the dole leaves you with very few options.
    -If you have a job, you could write part time, still go to the gym in the morning, work with a therapist. But the next 6-12 months aside to work out if there is something you can do with writing and do the work you need to do on yourself in therapy.
    -With your savings you could do a part time English teachers course (I think its called Jet? but I'm not sure ) which will let you travel the world and teach English.

I personally think you would be best to spend your time work towards things like this, rather than taking 4 months to sit on the dole without a plan. If you have a job, that means you have an income. A salary can pay for therapy, increase your savings and gives you options. You'll also be forced to go and interact with people every day rather than the very isolating life living on the dole can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Quiet frankly if you are asking permission and others opinions you don't believe in your dream.
    If you did you'd just do it.

As others said, social welfare is a support net its not for sponging off trying to achieve something you don't really believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

but my original post wasn't phrased in such a way as to address my fundamental question. And that is, whether or not it's ok to take time out from working in order to try and build up some sort of online income? I guess what I really want to do is work and travel. To be honest I don't have any particular career in mind, I've just been reading some popular blogs about how people have been able to fund this kind of lifestyle and freelance writing popped up (but apparently i'm a useless writer because of some grammatical errors on a random internet forum). I probably am a poor writer, I don't really know. It's something I've never tried. The question I wanted to ask originally was, whether it is something worth trying? Even for a few months?

People who are able to fund this kind of lifestyle have been writing for years, have always had a passion for writing, have been writing online alongside having full time jobs before they got to the stage of being able to quit the real job. So can you do it in a few months not even knowing if you are any good at writing - no. Its not realistic.
    The reason i'm thinking of online work is because I have no particular skillset that can be utilized in the typical working holiday situation. I've never worked as a barman, waiter, etc. As a guy with low confidence socially, I know I would struggle if I jumped in the deep end and took one of the standard working holiday jobs.

You dont need much in the line of skills to be a waiter or barman, and they train you on the job anyway. And if you struggle - so what? You can pack it in anytime, its not your "career". I remember staying in a hostel in Amsterdam where they offered me free B&B if Id get up and cook the breakfast in the mornings. This was how they staffed the breakfasts, free stays to those who would do it. It was 2 hours scrambling eggs for a bed essentially and you could leave at any time. Coupled with an evening waitress job it would have been enough to spend some time having fun in Amsterdam. I didnt do it btw, I was on a cheap holiday - but those types of jobs are totally no pressure and transient, you can very easily move on if it causes anxiety. But you shouldnt try this until you have your mental health sorted.
    I just want to know am I chasing something that is not realistic?

The writing idea is not realistic in the manner in which you want to chase it.
    Can the low social confidence be overcome? Am I better off addressing this at home with a therapist and then maybe heading back abroad in a few months with a renewed sense of confidence and self-worth that a therapist can provide?

Yes, but I think you need to get your priorities in order. Sort out your anxiety issues, then worry about travelling. Forget the travelling until you have your anxiety under control. And dont be thinking it can be addressed in a matter of months, itll take as long as it takes.

You sound like you just want to run away tbh and are trying to figure out how to fund that but the anxiety is sure to cause problems if not addressed and the writing idea isnt realistic so its quite likely you will end up in a more anxious situation.

In short:
    Sort the mental health. Number 1 priority.

Try to get the writing off the ground part time, while working full time.

When the mental health is sorted, only then consider travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Its not fraud if you use loop holes to get on the job seekers. People do it at the top without anyone batting an eyelid so why can people at the bottom do it. Listen OP, you get one craic at life so do what it takes to get by and to make up happy. Who knows, you could blow your 6k in a matter of months and live a miserable life on the dole or it could turn out well for you. I know quite a few people in the dole and they live happy lives. No need to get out of bed on them cold winter mornings miserable going to make others money.I was even in it for 5 years and quite enjoyed it TBH. I was at the gym every day, had this freedom I never had before and could do what I wanted when I wanted without the need to go to work. I even had money to go out every wknd if I wanted. You need to balance everything and take the plundge and stop listening to the haters. I know one thing, no ones going to give a flying hoot in 100yrs when your dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Your latest post sheds a bit more light on things OP, but it more than ever makes me think you should be doing everything you can to spend as little time on the dole as possible. If you're suffering with anxiety and depression, address those now. If you don't your life will shrink down to what you can currently handle in your unhealthy state - gym, writing, a lonely and solitary life.

Get help with your anxiety issues and your life will open up. You won't have to choose the path that best suits your mental health issues, you will get the choose the life that you truly want.

There's nothing wrong with wanting an independent life where you're not tied to a 9-5 routine, it sounds great. But invest now in your mental health and it will set you up for a much happier life than the one you're currently and unrealistically aiming for.

Writing online is not going to resolve the issues that prevent you from going on working holidays and travel in general - it is akin to taking up gambling to earn money - and both are means of grasping at straws. Writing online is not going to give you confidence, you might feel great completing your first blog but negative feedback or lack of interest of readers might be like a lead balloon for your mental health.
    I think the concept of taking time out to write online to earn money is just side stepping the actual issues you have mentioned of anxiety and and lack of social confidence and runs the risk of worsening them in the short, medium and long term the longer you avoid them and the longer you get stuck on the dole.
    Yes you potentially could earn money writing online, but if you did and you have the money to travel, to get off the dole, are you likely to find yourself in some other country, struggling with your social skills, lacking confidence socially, and dealing with anxiety, as you are already, but without the proper ability to address those issues? If you had to, could you push yourself in plunging into the deep end out of your comfort zone in jobs just to financially survive? And if you had to, how would you proactively go about addressing your anxiety and social confidence issues while abroad, for example would you challenge yourself in meeting new people, throwing yourself in the deep end in a bar job, would you engage with therapy? I don't see how writing online as an income will change any self doubt and anxiety getting in the way that no matter where you are blogging, you'll be compelled by self doubt and anxiety to go home.
    I think you should put your mental health first and get to grips with anxiety and confidence issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

duckcfc wrote: »
    Its not fraud if you use loop holes to get on the job seekers. People do it at the top without anyone batting an eyelid so why can people at the bottom do it. Listen OP, you get one craic at life so do what it takes to get by and to make up happy. Who knows, you could blow your 6k in a matter of months and live a miserable life on the dole or it could turn out well for you. I know quite a few people in the dole and they live happy lives. No need to get out of bed on them cold winter mornings miserable going to make others money.I was even in it for 5 years and quite enjoyed it TBH. I was at the gym every day, had this freedom I never had before and could do what I wanted when I wanted without the need to go to work. I even had money to go out every wknd if I wanted. You need to balance everything and take the plundge and stop listening to the haters. I know one thing, no ones going to give a flying hoot in 100yrs when your dead.

pretty much the same opinion as me.

OP, online writing is a very new thing, and its worth exploring. From what I gather, traditional journalism has hit the skids, and people are now self-publishing their own e-books. With Amazon you can actually upload your own work and they take a % of the sales. Some blogs too are very successful and popular. I remember reading an article about someone who runs twitter accounts, and is making a mint. You don't necessarily need perfect grammar for some. A relative of mine proofreads and edits books. I know of people who have beauty blogs, another writes poetry and is beginning to get published. Yet another friend has a satire website, and has had success writing for radio. But none of those yet could safely say they could give up the day job to concentrate on what they love yet.

There are so many ways to have a career writing - so depending on your passions, your wit, your aptitude for telling a story, or your gift of observation, what kind of writing, is up to you. But its tough, and not only takes talent/skill, but also needs to be what you love to do, something that you do anyway outside of your day-job.

If you are just looking for a career that allows you to be a bit more nomadic in life, then you need to compile a list of any careers that give that flexibility, then look at what you are drawn to on there.

I remember hearing a saying: if you work at what you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life. I have a hobby I could easily spend 12+hours on it a day, every day on. But its not something that could generate a living out of. Possibly in years to come with a bit more experience, I could give classes, but as I'm still a relative beginner, its a long way off for me, and a pipe dream. But, I am pondering the steps I need to get there - I need experience. I need to do a course. I'd need finance to teach classes and have a small workshop with equipment for students.

I think firstly, forget about travel, savings, money - all of these things. Then work out what you love to do in life. What is it that if you had to do for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, you'd love it so much the time would fly by? It could be anything - it could be a sport. Or a craft. Or an academic skill, or a general interest in something. Next, identify what jobs relate to that thing you love.. Then identify how you'd get certified/qualified/experienced in that area. Then work out how to fund that process. If travel and work autonomy is something that you are drawn to then it will be likely be something that is already a feature of your dream career anyway.

There are very few of us with our dream jobs. Most of us are doing the daily grind to pay the bills, and daydreaming about our dream life with our dream job, and working slowly towards that while life throws obstacles in our paths. Just like you are now. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You'll be means tested for the dole too. Will you be living at home? Do your parents work?

I get €77 a week. You'll not be saving any money whatsoever on that. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I teach English in Spain and work with a guy who's been teaching English all around the world for the past 15 years. He's the single most interesting person I've met in a very long time. He cleaned up in some countries (Middle East, Northern Africa) and scraped by in others (Italy) and now, like me, he's doing fine here in Spain and has enough and a bit more to live on. The great thing about TEFL is the lack of stress, free time between classes and not having to take your work home with you, though you have to plan classes. It can be a very creative job if you want it to be, you get to talk to people of all types (good fodder for your writing!) and I'm also studying a cert to get into a master's next year whilst doing it and it's the kind of job that allows you to do that.

I'd consider doing a CELTA and using that to travel, save, travel etc. and do other projects on the side.

OP again,

I understand that my mental health is of utmost importance. Being honest, I tend to be less anxious and depressed while thousands of miles from home and travelling alone. I've no idea why that is.

I set out on this journey hoping to eventually move on to Australia for a working holiday or something but my self-doubt and anxiety got in the way of that and I booked a flight home. I then cancelled it at the last minute today and now i'm back to square one thinking wtf did I do that for. Home is where i'm comfortable. Where i'm around people who understand me. Where I have (few) friends.

But on the other hand I love to travel. Also I fell for a girl on this trip and she completely just stopped talking to me out of nowhere and i'm currently feeling dreadful about that. If I go home I know I'll be moping around all day making the depression and low self-esteem worsen. If I try the Australia thing I'll probably be too busy trying to sort a new life out there that I'll forget the girl.

I guess i'm caught in this limbo land of wanting to go and do the work and travel thing even for a year and also doubting whether it's the right time for it seeing as I suffer anxiety and low mood. My parents have encouraged me to just go while i'm halfway there but hmm I really don't know what to do. Usually people have a gut feeling for something like this. I don't. I'm just spending my time analysing every pro and con possible to staying abroad or returning home. What makes the most sense? I've already lost a lot of money by cancelling my flight and either option will take a chunk from my savings. No idea what to do. I'm sleeping in an airport tonight. That's how clueless I am

Were you talking to your parents recently? I think perhaps you have maybe over-analysed your own situation that you are doubting what is right for you as a result. Home is comfortable, home is familiar, home is home and what is comfortable and familiar is a massive comfort zone to be in. It doesn't have to be a time of sitting around wallowing in the aftermath of that girl you met on your trip - it is up to you what you want to make of that time and you can spend the time being productive instead and dealing with your anxiety issues or something else entirely. From my own experience unresolved issues like that can fester for a long time, be pushed to the side, can hide away in the background until one day it all can catch up on you. Stuff like that doesn't really go away until it's actually dealt with head-on. And perhaps pressures you previously mentioned are contributory factors in feeling anxious and while away from home that is why you tend to feel less anxious, as after all, you're off doing your own thing without your folks knowing everything or being there to ask why you haven't settled down.
    Do you still have a chance to take up working holiday in Australia? Or further travel? If the chance is there, you should consider it. If not, then perhaps you are better off evaluating where you want to go from here and if home is the best place for you or not. Maybe you need to re-group with yourself, anxiety and self doubt aside and make a plan for yourself.
    I can't tell you what you are to do OP, nobody here can. It's your decision on what you do from here regardless as to what anyone has offered as advice. I don't know from your last update what makes the most sense for you to do right now or what is best for you. Only you know your situation in depth and it's really down to you to look at what options you have and make a choice that is right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wbt

Neyite wrote: »
    Or is it that you just want to be your own boss and not have to deal with the rat-race commute, weirdo colleagues and office politics? If that's the case, we all would love that. We would all love a day structured like yours, but short of winning the National Lottery, its not going to happen.

I have to disagree with this, as it's an excuse often trotted out by people who lack the imagination or courage to get out of the rat race. There's no reason whatsoever to have to deal with a commute, weirdo colleagues or office politics. I realised soon after graduating that I didn't want that lifestyle, so I (largely) opted out of it for quite a while, and hope to go back to doing my own thing shortly when I've sorted out some personal issues here. I know loads of people who are their own boss, work from home, work while they travel, make money from creative work, and so on. I spent several years travelling and living abroad and working for myself and I didn't really appreciate the 'it's well for some' mentality from people doing 9-5 jobs back home.

That said, I totally disagree with going on the dole to fund this dream. That's unethical, IMO. What I did was work hard and long hours for the best part of a year before I first went abroad, then I worked part time once abroad while I got my creative stuff off the ground. It's not easy. Yes, there were days I was sitting at a cafe next to the beach sipping cocktails as I wrote. There were many days I'd go for a swim, meet a friend for a cafe, do a couple of hours of work and spend the rest of the day in the park. There were also many sleepless nights when I had to stay up all night to make deadlines, many +missed social events and several periods when I was broke as I waited for my invoices to be paid. It's swings and roundabouts. It's not unrealistic to think you can escape the rat race, but it is unrealistic to expect all the benefits of a 9-5 salaried job while freelancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Might want to consider why you want to go away. Are you trying to escape something here, if so, being away usually don't help you escape it.
    Also, you want to build up savings by going on the dole and planning ways to be able to travel. Why would you not get a job and save the money that has to be more than you'd get on the dole?

Advertisement