Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another bino thread

Options
  • 06-12-2014 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What budget?

I have opticrons Imagic 8*25 and 8*42 and love them. Both are discontinued now but you can get its current equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Lots of choice depending oy your budget, anything from Bushnell up to Leica.

Opticron are a good compromise between quality, price and portability.

If weight and size isn't an issue these would be good in woodland where distances are going to be reasonably short.
    http://www.connscameras.ie/p/steiner-navigator-7x50-/4015649763502
    Set the focus and no need to refocus - good for in the woods. They also are super in low light conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Phoenix wrote: »
    What are Swarovski like!?

Top of the range, but if you are planning to spend that money make sure you try them first.

Conns are great at letting you play with them. Another option is to attend any of the birdwatch ireland outings as you guy to try many models from other watchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Ok guys, sorry for highJacking. :(

I'm looking to buy a decent set too.

I've been reading a lot and other than the swarovski leiss the ones that keep getting great reviews are

Nikkon monarch 3 and 5.

I couldn't afford the top of the range ones but wouldn't mind spending the 200-300ish on the monarchs if they were good.

What ye reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

deise08 wrote: »
    Ok guys, sorry for highJacking. :(

I'm looking to buy a decent set too.

I've been reading a lot and other than the swarovski leiss the ones that keep getting great reviews are

Nikkon monarch 3 and 5.

I couldn't afford the top of the range ones but wouldn't mind spending the 200-300ish on the monarchs if they were good.

What ye reckon?

I haven't used Nikon's Roof Prism Bins such as the Monarchs but I do have the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40's and they are excellent. I'd imagine the Monarchs would be of similar quality. Best binoculars I own other than my IS ones, and they give a lovely bright clear image as you would expect, but what puts them ahead of the others I have is that the image is truly 3D. The depth of view is really apparent and not flat as in others.

For that money you should be able to get a very descent par. Further to the above mentioned Nikon, I like Opticrons.

Best thing to do is to go and try yourself. Also think about the size if you haven't decided that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

I did a fair bit of research before buying a pair of bins about 4 months ago. I found Opticron hits the sweet spot for me with excellent quality but not as crazy a price as the likes of Zeiss, Swaro etc.

I was mostly interested in viewing woodland wildlife, so I wanted 8x42s (8x not too powerful/jerky, 42mm plenty bright in low light conditions) and bought a pair of Opticron Discovery at €230. Have to say I'm delighted with them - the optics and everything else about them are fantastic. The only downside was the crappy case, which I soon replaced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're near wicklow, you should pop up to birdwatch ireland at kilcoole to try out the opticron range; we bought a pair from them a year or two ago and we're happy with them.
    they only open mon-fri though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I haven't used Nikon's Roof Prism Bins such as the Monarchs but I do have the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40's and they are excellent. I'd imagine the Monarchs would be of similar quality. Best binoculars I own other than my IS ones, and they give a lovely bright clear image as you would expect, but what puts them ahead of the others I have is that the image is truly 3D. The depth of view is really apparent and not flat as in others.

I have the Nikon Action 12x50's and I love them too - sharp, great reach, bright etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I have the Nikon Action 12x50's and I love them too - sharp, great reach, bright etc.

Are they heavy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Are they heavy?

No not heavy, just the average weight you'd expect really!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TombstoneT

What type of Bino' would be suitable for bird watching, generally in fields or seashore or back garden? Not too heavy, bulky or expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

You could have a look through the binoculars in the shop on the Birdwatch Ireland website - the Opticron brand there is a good quality starting point http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie
    I'm not connected with Birdwatch or promoting their sales products, just that my first bins were Opticron and stood the test of time over many years. An 8x42 or 8x50 magnification should be fine for garden or countryside birding.

TombstoneT's thread merged with the pre-existing one. Always good to have a quick look to see if a similar thread a) exists and b) has been used in the very recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

if you're near wicklow, you should pop up to birdwatch ireland at kilcoole to try out the opticron range; we bought a pair from them a year or two ago and we're happy with them.
    they only open mon-fri though.

I had bins like that (only opened monday to friday); I upgraded them recently to 7 day ones.

Advertisement