Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail account hacked y'day after opening a Morgan Stanley pdf attachment

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey, had gmail acct hacked and it's sent emails to I think all my contacts. But now it's also deleted all my emails from all my folders. Any new emails that come in now go to trash. Is there anyway to retrieve those that have been deleted by this virus? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Change your password for a start. Are you using gmail in a browser or through outlook or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 surfdec

TheChizler wrote: »
    Change your password for a start. Are you using gmail in a browser or through outlook or something?

Yeah I changed password as soon as I heard. But when I went into gmail in my pc all the folders still there but everyone is empty. I use gmail on iPhone iPad and odd time in work on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Sounds like your emails were downloaded by POP (leaving the folders).

Go here to see if you can recover your emails: https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/4530113

There's also a guide there to recover your contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 surfdec

thank you for your help Bob_bot
    this has worked and I'm so relieved.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tiredofthis

I have the same problem (account hacked, everyone emailed, and everything deleted). I filled in the form but I can't get an acknowledgement from google. Could they have redirected my email somewhere else?

• Advertisement

Yes they could have setup a forward for your mail. Go to settings, then under "Forwarding and POP/IMAP", check if there is a forward setup there. How long ago did you submit the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tiredofthis

I emailed them yesterday evening. No reply.

I've tried your suggestion about going settings and forwarding but there does not seem to be an option for disabling forwarding.

Some emails have arrived so they can't have forwarded everything. I'd be glad of any suggestions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

What do you expect using "free" email services? With "free" you are the product - ie the service provider is selling your eyeballs to advertisers. You are not the client. You are part of a massive platform that is a worthwhile target for hackers.

Also why use an email service provided run by an NSA fat pipe info supplier - willing or otherwise?

Expect to pay for email service provision, ideally from one operating from a well regulated IT legal security infrastructure - eg Switzerland. It will cost about EUR 50,00 pa.

Similar rules apply to banks. Only idiots use online banking with JP Morgan, Bank of America, Barclays, et al - because they have so many customers using ebanking that it pays to create bank specific hacking tricks, and deploy them using 90cm firehose 50 bar pressure global spray spams. There is a high probability of a "hit". Many of these "banks" make life easier by not using MFA, and limiting passwords to say 8 alpha numeric characters, with no special characters.

Yahoo!'s latest option is no-password email services. Convience overrides everything. The pinnacle of Anglo-Saxon dumbness?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/yahoos-email-option-no-password-171525344.html

I emailed them yesterday evening. No reply.

I've tried your suggestion about going settings and forwarding but there does not seem to be an option for disabling forwarding.

Some emails have arrived so they can't have forwarded everything. I'd be glad of any suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi tiredofthis, under the forwarding section, there should be a radio button to select "Disable forwarding" or a button to select an address that was approved for forwarding. If neither of these are present, then there is no mail forwarding occurring.

If "POP" is enabled, I would recommend disabling this and ensure you have changed your password to something strong since the time you were breeched.

Impetus, what's with the rant? Pretty sure nobody was giving out about these "free accounts" and being entitled about it. People bank with big banks, it doesn't have to be a JP Morgan, I'm sure plenty have gotten AIB, BOI fishing scam mails.

Advertisement