Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

certified-ethical-hacker

• 20-06-2012 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Does any one know if this Course can be taken in Ireland ?

Would love to give it a go.. The Exam it self cost 500 USD and takes up to 4 hours to do i could image the type of exam they give you

at the moment Self-studying the
    (ISC)2 Security SSCP & CompTIA Security +

Am planning to take both Exam in August. once them 2 are out of the way am looking at trying to get into the ECC Hacking Course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 jester`

For EC-Council exam centers please check here : http://www9.pearsonvue.com/Dispatcher?application=VTCLocator&action=actStartApp&v=W2L&cid=405

As far as I can remember the cost is now around 700 Dollars/EUR, and there is a bigger deal with taking the exam. Passport copy must be sent to them and you must show experience in the industry. For previous versions this was not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Did u do the course ?

The above link is for taken the test I can't seem to find anywhere that runs the course over a number of days/weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Razzen

Espion run CEH courses from time to time. I've done and I can recommend the course the run. 5 day boot camp type course with lots of hands on stuff. Like any boot camp style course you get more out of it if your well prepared before you start.

http://www.espiongroup.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

CEH - Waste of time. The follow up one, the ECSA I found very valuable. I learnt alot about traffic analysis which has been useful. I was the first person to pass the version four of the exam in Europe, and passed with a score of 93%.
    The CEH, very little useful topics. How to crack WEP? No one uses WEP anymore. And if they do, there is a video on youtube that will show you how to do it in about 30 minutes. How to create your own virus, more like how to create a generic virus from canned tools.

Don't bother with the CEH. A better course would be either the GPEN for pen testing or the OSCP for defensive hacking.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Did u do the course ?

The above link is for taken the test I can't seem to find anywhere that runs the course over a number of days/weeks

If, against my advice, you want to do it. BT Training solutions do it. You can choose Dublin or Belfast. Linky is herey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Doing this course isn't for me to know how to hack wep etc,

I have done a lot of that before what I'm looking out of a course is the value of the cert that would it help me to get a better job in a networking role,

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

I have an interview tomorrow on Ethical Hacking & penetration testing - does anbody know any good tutorials ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Hi Thanks for the link to the owasp site - that is very general - anybody know a 20 page doc which gives a good outline of Ethical Hacking, penetration testing ? I have little experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the link to the owasp site - that is very general - anybody know a 20 page doc which gives a good outline of Ethical Hacking, penetration testing ? I have little experience.
    There is none. It's just not that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

What sort of interview do you have? Job/college etc? If a job what level is it for or experience required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Try This
    This is over 200 pages but it's as condensed as your going to get. You can probably scan for the info you're looking for. As Blowfish says it's just not that easy.

I'm curious about the interview :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

cough *absolute chancer* cough

Let me google that for you

Job spec says Ethical Hacking, penetration testing is a plus. Does anybody know any good courses in dublin on Ethical Hacking, penetration testing. Thks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Job spec says Ethical Hacking, penetration testing is a plus. Does anybody know any good courses in dublin on Ethical Hacking, penetration testing. Thks

There's a 3 year course in ITB that's a good starting point.

Have you done any searching yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

syklops wrote: »

Clearly not, in fairness.

Harry999: There is no shortcut here. Infosec / ethical hacking / penetration testing are things that require a lot of learning to have already been done before you can even start figuring how out computer systems are not secure. There is no checklist or 20 page document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Harry999, you mention here that you are a software engineer. The reason it's difficult to answer your question is because it's equivalent to asking for a '20 page overview' of software development for an interview, with no previous experience. It just wont work, you'd be found out immediately.
    Which is amusing, considering how figuring stuff out for yourself is pretty much most of the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Blowfish wrote: »
    Which is amusing, considering how figuring stuff out for yourself is pretty much most of the role.

Hah! I was just thinking the exact same myself. I think one of the key attributes for a successful pen testing/info sec engineer is an inherent interest in the field, a curiosity so to speak and an unwillingness to give up when you hit wall after wall when trying to find something.

As said before, there is no one pager which will sort you out. People spend years learning this stuff. Slightly insulting to come on here asking for a 20 pager on pen testing.

CEH is garbage by the way - SANS560 and OSCP are brilliant in content and the exams are, from speaking to colleagues who have passed, tough. Very tough.

• Advertisement

I wonder how Harry got on in the interview.

:rolleyes:

I wonder how Harry got on in the interview.

:rolleyes:

Any one else worried he might get it? There is a serious shortage of infosec professionals out there. Are they getting desperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any one else worried he might get it? There is a serious shortage of infosec professionals out there. Are they getting desperate?

Yeah, judging by staff turnover lately I'm worried the security firm we engage to do pentests for us might hire him!!

Did a 5-day CEH course and exam myself a couple of years ago and it's always good to easily pass an exam your boss is paying for, but someone with a decent knowledge of general infosec topics e.g. keeping an eye on the major security blogs, and a very basic idea of what malware is and how in the most general terms it works, is not going to learn much if anything from it.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, judging by staff turnover lately I'm worried the security firm we engage to do pentests for us might hire him!!

Did a 5-day CEH course and exam myself a couple of years ago and it's always good to easily pass an exam your boss is paying for, but someone with a decent knowledge of general infosec topics e.g. keeping an eye on the major security blogs, and a very basic idea of what malware is and how in the most general terms it works, is not going to learn much if anything from it.

Would you PM me the name of said company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would rather not, but it's not your employer :)

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement