Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starting out

• 27-03-2015 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I am starting out in photography. I have a nikon l820. I am thinking of offering my services for free to a few people to practice and get experience. I have a book that I can read up on but would like some feedback from other photographers.

I am thinking of asking my cousin if she would like me to take pics of her baby, but I'm unsure of how to start out. I'm really interested in portraits. Is there any website that gives tips re portraits or photographing babies? What do I need to know?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Sell the l820 and buy an entry level DSLR (one that you can change Aperture and Shutter speed and ISO manually on) start off with something like a Nikon D3100 with a 17-55mm lens (these are probably the cheapest entry level SLRs you can get on adverts)

Adverts is amazing for cameras/lenses.

Watch youtube videos and play with settings.

Take lots of photos in all scenarios.

If only interested in portraits buy a 50mm 1.8 lens (great for learning on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sashbash

Thanks for your reply. Would you know how much an L820 would be worth? I think I paid €150 for it. I have all the equipment. I bought it in 2013.

No idea im afraid, throw it up on adverts for the 150€ and see if you get any offers.
    It's a very good point and shoot camera so hopefully someone would be interested.

Ok thanks for your reply. I'll look into the D3100 :)

It all comes down to budget really. I just think the Nikon d3100 is and older entry level so it's probably quite cheap now and fine to learn on.
    I'm a Canon man so only know about my own 70D and lenses. I've nearly spent 2k on gear now though.

just look up "entry level DSLR" and find one with good reviews you can afford.
    you just need to be able to set your apertures/shutter speeds and ISO manually. most DSLRs have different modes so you can learn the effect of each individually.

Youtube should teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about buying a DSLR! good luck.

It's a bloody expensive hobby when you get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

sashbash wrote: »
    Hi, I am starting out in photography. I have a nikon l820. I am thinking of offering my services for free to a few people to practice and get experience. I have a book that I can read up on but would like some feedback from other photographers.

I am thinking of asking my cousin if she would like me to take pics of her baby, but I'm unsure of how to start out. I'm really interested in portraits. Is there any website that gives tips re portraits or photographing babies? What do I need to know?

Thanks.

basic tip for portraits: use portrait format - not joking it's just that people are top to bottom and not wide/wide.
    I'd get a slightly longer lens 80-120mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

Not many people you know will say no if you offer to take photos for them, as long as you send them a few.

Weddings/parties are also great places to practice, as people are usually looking their best and happy to smile/pose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just had a look at the specs of the Nikon L820 and would not endorse selling up and buying a new camera yet. It seems like quite a reasonable camera. The drawbacks are that it does not have any manual modes or record RAW files. This is not the end of the world. Concentrate on composition and light. Most people who buy a DSLR shoot them in Auto to start with anyway, so do that with this camera. Take lots of photo's and get feedback on them. Read about light and exposure and when you start to hit the limitations of this camera then look to upgrade.

This is a steep learning curve but it's fun learning. There are plenty here to help you if you ask. If you have a local camera club go and see if that suits you as they can help you learn a lot.

Thanks again for your replies. I was looking into the D3100 or the D3200 and I just don't have the money at the moment to buy a camera like that. I have been experimenting with my L820 and the photos are turning out good enough. I have a "Photography for Dummies" book that I will read up on and get to know the basics. I am quite excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scobyobrien

You need to ask yourself one thing, do you like photography or do you love photography?

I've always loved photography and bought so many digital cameras throughout the years until I cut my teeth on a Nikon D40 for many many years, only 6pm camera but still learned an awful lot of mistakes while using it and dropped it too so many times!!!! I stepped up to the D7100 and built up my gear over time. I've only recently started selling prints this year. It pays the petrol and new gear although I one day dream of giving up the day job and doing it full time. For me, I shoot landscapes and seascapes. I love getting up early in the mornings and this can be 4am during the summer months before sunrise.

I never read a photography book, always looked at YouTube for tips. A lot of professional photographers never went to college and are self thought and are brilliant. You only learn from mistakes in my opinion and not from what a book says. Books are great for explaining things like ISO, lighting, shutter speed....etc, but so is google. If you want to do portraits, a very good lens goes a long way. You will also have to consider lighting equipment, and triggers. I have spent thousands on gear and will probably need to spend another 5,000 on a customer built PC, new lens, a second camera.......the list goes on.

You may also need Photoshop, external hard drives, memory cards, spare batteries, rain gear, tripod(s), cleaning gear. Buy a 2nd hand DSLR starting out if money is a problem, offer your friends and family free shots and word of mouth then spreads. I am doing a 70th birthday party this weekend through word of mouth. Two hours work taking shots and probably 2 - 3 hours work after editing. My Saturday night is gone, but I'll have a new tripod out of it. I've offered them 100 - 150 shots or however many I take from it and they are delighted with this, I will be also cropping them to 10 x 8 for them too. Point is, they will probably tell people about me like my previous customer told them about me and vola......more business through the door.

Go for it, we all had to start off with just a simple camera and build up from there. You will have to make sacrifices and people skills is essential.

Best of luck with the new venture if you decide to do it

• Advertisement

You need to ask yourself one thing, do you like photography or do you love photography?

I've always loved photography and bought so many digital cameras throughout the years until I cut my teeth on a Nikon D40 for many many years, only 6pm camera but still learned an awful lot of mistakes while using it and dropped it too so many times!!!! I stepped up to the D7100 and built up my gear over time. I've only recently started selling prints this year. It pays the petrol and new gear although I one day dream of giving up the day job and doing it full time. For me, I shoot landscapes and seascapes. I love getting up early in the mornings and this can be 4am during the summer months before sunrise.

I never read a photography book, always looked at YouTube for tips. A lot of professional photographers never went to college and are self thought and are brilliant. You only learn from mistakes in my opinion and not from what a book says. Books are great for explaining things like ISO, lighting, shutter speed....etc, but so is google. If you want to do portraits, a very good lens goes a long way. You will also have to consider lighting equipment, and triggers. I have spent thousands on gear and will probably need to spend another 5,000 on a customer built PC, new lens, a second camera.......the list goes on.

You may also need Photoshop, external hard drives, memory cards, spare batteries, rain gear, tripod(s), cleaning gear. Buy a 2nd hand DSLR starting out if money is a problem, offer your friends and family free shots and word of mouth then spreads. I am doing a 70th birthday party this weekend through word of mouth. Two hours work taking shots and probably 2 - 3 hours work after editing. My Saturday night is gone, but I'll have a new tripod out of it. I've offered them 100 - 150 shots or however many I take from it and they are delighted with this, I will be also cropping them to 10 x 8 for them too. Point is, they will probably tell people about me like my previous customer told them about me and vola......more business through the door.

Go for it, we all had to start off with just a simple camera and build up from there. You will have to make sacrifices and people skills is essential.

Best of luck with the new venture if you decide to do it

Any link to your stuff online? I'd like to end up doing similar, pursuing it to learn and if the odd job comes in to buy a lens or something, happy out.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Any link to your stuff online? I'd like to end up doing similar, pursuing it to learn and if the odd job comes in to buy a lens or something, happy out.

Great channel for Photoshop stuff:
    type Phlearn into YouTube

Self thought photographer:
    type Serge Ramelli into YouTube

Good for reviews of gear:
    Tony Northrup into YouTube

(Wont let me post links as I'm classed as a new user)

Type Eglobalcentral.eu into google. Great for buying gear(if you dont get caught for customs, I never have) but if you do get stopped, you are still spending a bit less

Great channel for Photoshop stuff:
    type Phlearn into YouTube

Self thought photographer:
    type Serge Ramelli into YouTube

Good for reviews of gear:
    Tony Northrup into YouTube

(Wont let me post links as I'm classed as a new user)

Type Eglobalcentral.eu into google. Great for buying gear(if you dont get caught for customs, I never have) but if you do get stopped, you are still spending a bit less

I meant any links to your own photos/work :)?

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I meant any links to your own photos/work :)?

Ha ha, sorry. Just type Philip Mulhall Photography into Facebook, or Mulhall Photography on Twitter. Still wont let me post a link here.

Set up an account and I will follow you.

You just got a barrage of fav's on twitter :) would like to know how to do a good few of them. great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

[QUOTE=sashbash;94916285 I have a "Photography for Dummies" book that I will read up on and get to know the basics. I am quite excited about it.[/QUOTE] I've gone through 2 or 3 of the beginners books, if you look in the thread about photography books I explain why they weren't much good.

The big secret to photography is composition, you can learn that with any camera.

Advertisement