Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advent, Acer aspire one or Samsung

• 12-11-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys, i need a Windows notebook with wifi and at least 2 usb drives. Have a macbook but it's too heavy to carry around and some of my old trust worthy programmes won't work on it so might as well get something nice and portable. Was hooked on Samsung nc10 or whatever it is but then discoverd it's a third of a kilo heavier than the Acer Aspire one. I really would like things as light as possible. Does anyone feel the need to convince me that I really really should get the Samsung over an Acer Aspire one or an Advent?? Can you get the Acer in a Windows version?

Where can I walk into a shop and get a Samsung nc10 or an Acer Aspire one without having to go online?

Not too pushed about having loads of memory. My old laptop had just 27 gigs! Imagine!!! Just a half-way decent processing speed and it being easy to install vodafone mobile broadband would be good. Must must must be windows though, and not vista, xp. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I think the advent would be good,from what iv read with a bios update the CPU can be clocked by 24% the ram is easily upgradeble and you can get up to 224 graphics shared ram with the machine running on 2GB.

It has 10.2" screen so it has a nice screen size and a good keyboard size...

The aspire one is on 1gb has a bigger 120GB hard disk compared to the advent's 80gb.But,its an 8.9" screen meaning smaller viewing area and smaller keyboard also its a 3 cell same as the advent.The big issue for me is the shared graphics ram is only 8mb which in this day and age is terrible I.M.O even my quiet old laptop has 128mb shared

I know these machines aren't made for high power applications but when tested they can,and quiet well,i think the aspire one falls behind in these areas

The aspire one's ram is also not very easy tp upgrade basically removing the whole mother board!and only up to 1536 mb ram.

The samsung NC10 will in my opinion take the market by storm,
    It has nice colours the same graphics as the advent an 80gig(?) hard drive,1gb or ram as standard around 10" screen so a nice sized keyboard and a 6 cell battery!Which samsung claims 7 hours battery life from

All in all,if you want one soon go for the advent the only place it falls back in is the battery.If you want the best go for the samsung and the most portable but not the best the acer aspire one.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

Thanks a mill guys. very succinct and informative replies it must be said. if I get an iphone the apps on it will tide me over til christmas before I get a portable netbook. Does anyone know if there's any other models worth waiting for coming for December? or even a bit later? Thanks.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a Windows version of Acer aspire one? only seen Linux versions online so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

sian wrote: »
    Thanks a mill guys. very succinct and informative replies it must be said. if I get an iphone the apps on it will tide me over til christmas before I get a portable netbook. Does anyone know if there's any other models worth waiting for coming for December? or even a bit later? Thanks.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a Windows version of Acer aspire one? only seen Linux versions online so far.

Yeah there a window 120gb with 1gb of ram on pixmania i think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There are always going to be new netbooks coming out, im not too sure if any will be much improved on what's already on the market. Imo, the next big thing will be the dual core atom processors, and perhaps improved graphics options, but that'll be a while yet. I have the advent with the 24% overclock , 2gb ram, and a 250gb drive and it's great, i use it more than my main pc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 culna

Survey's say Dell to be the best laptop, Toshiba second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

There are quite a few new netbooks in the pipeline:

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/12/samsung-nc10-bigger-than-a-netbook-but-still-cool.html

Also, Sony has a P Series, where the P stands for "pocket":

http://www.slashgear.com/vaio-p-netbook-it-fits-in-a-pocket-says-sony-2527773/

I was going to buy a netbook now, but have found that there are quite a few features that need to be thought through. Some come with Bluetooth, others not.

This link for the Samsung DC 10 might be of use:
    http://www.small-laptops.com/2008/10/20/samsung-nc10-drivers-user-guide-online/

Advertisement