Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptopsdirect.ie

Options
  • 01-01-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just about to but a laptop on laptopsdirect.ie and I was wondering, is this a secure website? :confused:

If I have problems with the laptop, will I have to send it to England?

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah, the site is secure. If there is a problem you'll have to send it off to them. I'd do a search here and read some of threads about them. Their customer service is meant to be rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

better off getting a laptop with an onsite repair service,
    dell, toshiba ibm all offer this i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

Well I found a really good Acer laptop and I've been shopping around and found nothing as good as the price tag. Is it worht buying off them just for that reason or head to PC World on saturday and see if they have anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you want my advice, steer well clear.

I bought a laptop from them 3 years ago, I didn't have a problem (then again, it was IBM/Lenovo, so that's to be expected :)).

However, anyone who has run into problems with their laptops have encountered nothing but frustration and incompetence.

It's a gamble, too big a gamble in my opinion. Do a search on this forum to see what others say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Tom Dunne wrote: »

However, anyone who has run into problems with their laptops have encountered nothing but frustration and incompetence.

Absolutely! I am presently trying to get a refund on an Acer 5103 that has been repaired four times to date. I am currently going through the ECC and failing that I'm going down the SCC route. This problem with LTD had been going on since last February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I think there a good site. I have bought 3 laptops off them in the last two years and everything went fine. I ordered a sony ns laptop lately off them and got it two days later. I also know a few people who use it without problem. However I have never had an actual problem with the laptops I bought so i dont know what there like with dealing with issues for people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've bought several laptops from them and have paid much less than anywhere else and received them quickly. I haven't had to deal with them much in terms of customer service. I did have a HP that had to be fixed before but it was sorted out by HP directly in a very efficient manner.

The last two laptops I bought have both been Acers and have been fine. However, given the nature of laptop problems (i.e. not as easy to replace parts as a pc), I bought the extended Acer 3yr manufacturer warranty so I'll be ok for 3 years anyway. Bear in mind that this is the manufacturer warranty inc accidental damage and not the ripp-off PC World one. So basically I got 3 years peace of mind included for less than the price of buying a laptop alone in PC World. I was lucky with my HP that the screen went on it just a week before the end of the first year. Had it been later then it would have been an expensive repair.

Their delivery was literally little more than 24 hours so not much longer than going out to PC World.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bear in mind that this is the manufacturer warranty inc accidental damage and not the ripp-off PC World one.

The PC World extended warranty does cover accidental damage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Bought an Acer 5930G off them about a month ago, ordered Sunday night, had it Tuesday morning. Can't fault them on shipping. Have heard horror stories about customer service though. On the other hand, I've heard at least as many horror stories abut PC World's service.

Also, saw a sale ad on PC World during the week for the same model as mine, about €100 dearer than I paid, but a differeent version with an inferior processor (5850 vs 7350)and graphics card (256 something vs 512 9600m GT). So if you're comparing models, make sure the detailed specs are the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

absolutely horror customer service.

bought a laptop from them last year - it arrived damaged. first problem was trying to get in touch with their cs dept - impossible

they didn't have a direct replacement so had to get a refund. problem was the refund i got was about 100 quid less than what i paid them.... never got it back from them despite many emails

something i leraned from this experience - BEFORE ordering a high value item like this again, call the customer service dept. first - at least then you will know if there is actually someone on the other end of the line

• Advertisement
Advertisement