Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sertraline/Lustral weird side effect?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has experienced the same!

I'm on Sertraline (150mg) and since starting on it a number of weeks ago, I'm beating my boyfriend up in my sleep! Like, kicking, thrashing, elbows flying, punches and so on. Anyone else experience this??

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment (can't afford to go sooner), because I had similar issues with Lexapro which only became more severe until I was taken off of it.

But has this happened to anyone else?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has experienced the same!

I'm on Sertraline (150mg) and since starting on it a number of weeks ago, I'm beating my boyfriend up in my sleep! Like, kicking, thrashing, elbows flying, punches and so on. Anyone else experience this??

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment (can't afford to go sooner), because I had similar issues with Lexapro which only became more severe until I was taken off of it.

But has this happened to anyone else?!

I'm on Sertraline too (100mg), and while I've never experienced any sleep issues (apart from occasional grinding of teeth), I've found that the different brands all seem to have subtly different side-effects. Depending on which pharmacy I go to, and what they happen to have in stock, I've been given either Lustral or generic equivalents - Lusert and Sertraline Actavis. For me, Sertraline Actavis has been the least problematic (no bad side-effects, apart from occasional mild 'stomach issues').

The next time you collect a prescription, it might be worth trying a different brand of the same drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hmm. I may try that. They give me a generic brand, Serlan, so I'll ask for something else. Thankfully, I don't get a sick stomach with them but I'm due my next prescription in a few days, sso I'll ask for something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

RayM wrote: »
    I'm on Sertraline too (100mg), and while I've never experienced any sleep issues (apart from occasional grinding of teeth), I've found that the different brands all seem to have subtly different side-effects. Depending on which pharmacy I go to, and what they happen to have in stock, I've been given either Lustral or generic equivalents - Lusert and Sertraline Actavis. For me, Sertraline Actavis has been the least problematic (no bad side-effects, apart from occasional mild 'stomach issues').

The next time you collect a prescription, it might be worth trying a different brand of the same drug.
    Hmm. I may try that. They give me a generic brand, Serlan, so I'll ask for something else. Thankfully, I don't get a sick stomach with them but I'm due my next prescription in a few days, sso I'll ask for something else :)

The side effects from Lustral/Lusert/Sertraline Actavis/Serlan will be identical. If you feel as if you had "subtly different" side effects, then perhaps you did, but the cause of them was either

a) simply that you don't feel the exact same every single day or
    b) because of placebo/nocebo effects,

not because of any difference between the various brands of Sertraline tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The side effects from Lustral/Lusert/Sertraline Actavis/Serlan will be identical. If you feel as if you had "subtly different" side effects, then perhaps you did, but the cause of them was either

a) simply that you don't feel the exact same every single day or
    b) because of placebo/nocebo effects,

not because of any difference between the various brands of Sertraline tablets.

I know the different brands all contain identical active ingredients, but there was a very definite month-by-month pattern in the different side-effects - and it took me a while to notice it. I wouldn't dismiss the placebo effect, but I'm also glad that I didn't dismiss Sertraline altogether and switch to a different SSRI, because it seems to be working.

Advertisement