Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The more you use Dovobet or other steroids the less effective they become also (so a dermotologist told me) so maybe the break from using them helped make it more effective... the problem with the dovobets and other steroids is the kick back when you stop using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

I find that goes for every topical treatment, you need to keep rotating really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That was my experience, you need to apply every few days to keep things at bay. Rotating does help a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

kyeev wrote: »
    Speaking of mysterious ways of psoriasis...
    Was using dovobet on my arms for a few months, about a year ago, to no effect. Gave up.
    Meanwhile a nasty itchy patch flared on my lower back in the past few months. Tried a few steroid creams, but ended up using Vaseline to sooth it. Two days ago, thought I'd try the dovobet, cleared it up completely in two days!
    Huh? Anyone explain that one?!

Different factors affect how the cream is absorbed. Certain parts of the body have a much higher absorption than other. The groin and underarms absorb most, then the face (never use steroid on face!)

I find my back is often quicker clearing with creams than any other area. Could be due to its position near the massive amounts of stuff in your back - spinal nerves, blood vessels, muscles etc.

Also your back is more likely to be covered which helps the cream absorb and harder to scratch which helps healing. Also it could just be that certain factors that improve P such as stress levels or diet had improved without you realising it.

My inverse psoriasis has returned all in my groin and crack and won't go away, I've been barely able to walk since Christmas and some nights was in such agony I couldn't sleep. It's also bad on my feet, and moderate on my back and legs.

At this rate I'll never be able to go back to work, have a relationship, or even enjoy my hobbies. I can barely walk my dog. Bathing is painful, basically anything other than sitting in a chair or lying down is painful. Trying the Pagano diet again but it's so hard to stick to. My life is already so unenjoyable it seems so unfair to have to cut out virtually all my favourite foods for three months minimum in hope of improvement.

Got a call yesterday from the hospital in Sligo to see did I want to remain on the waiting list for a dermatologist. I was on the list since 2012. Moved out of Sligo a year ago. Told them take me off. Derms and docs are useless anyway.

• Advertisement

Clampdown wrote: »
    My inverse psoriasis has returned all in my groin and crack and won't go away, I've been barely able to walk since Christmas and some nights was in such agony I couldn't sleep. It's also bad on my feet, and moderate on my back and legs.

At this rate I'll never be able to go back to work, have a relationship, or even enjoy my hobbies. I can barely walk my dog. Bathing is painful, basically anything other than sitting in a chair or lying down is painful. Trying the Pagano diet again but it's so hard to stick to. My life is already so unenjoyable it seems so unfair to have to cut out virtually all my favourite foods for three months minimum in hope of improvement.

Got a call yesterday from the hospital in Sligo to see did I want to remain on the waiting list for a dermatologist. I was on the list since 2012. Moved out of Sligo a year ago. Told them take me off. Derms and docs are useless anyway.

I strongly suggest you see your GP, you don't need to suffer like that. I don't have issues with hose areas much but the one time I did I was given Dacktacort cream which is a steroid and an antibiotic to prevent infection and it cleared in a few weeks. This might sound odd but I found it helped using wipes notepad of toilet paper because it caused less irritation.

The main thing is don't suffer in silence, go to your GP and go about finding the right solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Anyone tried Protopic cream for their psorasis?

I've been thinking of asking the docs if it would work even though its only prescribed for eczema (as far as I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I've been thinking of asking the docs if it would work even though its only prescribed for eczema (as far as I know).

I tried it for a while on my ears, scalp and nose. It was ok... but it wasn't great. Kept the dryness and the redness down, but no real longevity in the symptom reduction. 2 days after stopping using it my psoriasis was back. I found MooGoo Irritable skin balm to be just as effective and it's 100% natural

I use Protopic Ointment on my face, never knew there was a cream. I find it good but as with all topical stuff, it only offers short term relief. I put it on my face twice a week and that's usually enough to keep the redness down. It's also a lot safer than most other topicals because it works on the immune system in a different way.

I had a few Epsom salt baths and used my home UVB lamp in very short doses and am not much pain now. Hopefully the flare was just caused by stress and the flu I had and is going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I did a few treatments at once in the one go,

coal tar, followed by UVB, (these 2 together are known as Goeckerman therapy) followed by dithranol/dithrocream which was mixed with urea cream and sudocrem. Have got great results on some spots.

There was a study on dithrocream vs dithrocream+UVB.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1988.tb02596.x/abstract

Initial results look similar but there was a much longer time before relapse for those who used UVB too.

I had coal tar followed by UVA. Coal tar was useless and the UVA therapy worked but I relapsed within a month after the treatment finished

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Gael23 wrote: »
    I had coal tar followed by UVA. Coal tar was useless and the UVA therapy worked but I relapsed within a month after the treatment finished

This is what happened to me except the coal tar was great for the itching.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Same here 8 weeks of UVA and creams was completely clear and relapsed after a month despite still using cream it was great while it lasted .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    Same here 8 weeks of UVA and creams was completely clear and relapsed after a month despite still using cream it was great while it lasted .

i know that pain, i thought i was onto something with head and shoulders conditioner, but it was just keeping it from going real bad but the effects wore off and i had to stay inside again. doctor wouldnt even give me a prescription because he get this 'couldn't see anything to treat' so ive literally no options (just because it isnt as bad as it can be)

this was on this morning about psoriatic arthritis.
    There are 73,000 people living with Psoriasis in Ireland today yet over 46% have never heard of psoriatic arthritis.
    http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/120998/0/Psoriatic-Arthritis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

rubadub wrote: »
    this was on this morning about psoriatic arthritis.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/120998/0/Psoriatic-Arthritis

Yeah just caught this on the way out the door. I have psoriatic arthritis in my neck and have had it since I was around 20. I have it on my scalp, face, joints, torso and legs, I'd say I'm at the 10% mark. I also have what I would believe is psoriasis related asthma, in so far that my immune system is producing phlegm which blocks the pipes.

These biologics seem to be great news. And with the spending cut off of 180 a month, not the end of the world as far as costs. Now I wonder if I can get these through the GP.

Clampdown wrote: »

(never use steroid on face!)

What? I use Dovabet on my face, it clears up in a few days.

Yeah just caught this on the way out the door. I have psoriatic arthritis in my neck and have had it since I was around 20. I have it on my scalp, face, joints, torso and legs, I'd say I'm at the 10% mark. I also have what I would believe is psoriasis related asthma, in so far that my immune system is producing phlegm which blocks the pipes.

These biologics seem to be great news. And with the spending cut off of 180 a month, not the end of the world as far as costs. Now I wonder if I can get these through the GP.
    You have to get biologics from a dermatologist and even at that they will try other options first. I was only prescribed Enbrel when nothing else had worked for me.

You should never put Dovobet on your face. Get Protopic 0.1% from your GP

Gael23 wrote: »
    You should never put Dovobet on your face. Get Protopic 0.1% from your GP

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

You can check data/instruction sheets online for dovobet and most say not to use on the face. I imagine some dermatologists might tell you its OK depending on your skin.

I have used creams which have warned against using on the face, but I used them extremely sparingly, I would usually dilute in vaseline or sudocrem beforehand. Sudocrem is handy as it is very thick and you can easily visually see how much you have put on as it is so white.

rubadub wrote: »
    You can check data/instruction sheets online for dovobet and most say not to use on the face. I imagine some dermatologists might tell you its OK depending on your skin.

I have used creams which have warned against using on the face, but I used them extremely sparingly, I would usually dilute in vaseline or sudocrem beforehand. Sudocrem is handy as it is very thick and you can easily visually see how much you have put on as it is so white.

I've been using it for years now. It clears up flare ups around the scalp-line, forehead, nose I have it on right now as it happens. If i didn't my face would be covered in scales by now. I'll look into alternate treatments.

Could anyone mention why, I'm not supposed to use it on my face?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

I use it on my face as well, sparingly and only in 2 tiny areas but I do use it

I'm not supposed to use it on my face?
    I read the skin is very absorbent, so creams have much more effect, and this is coupled with the skin being very thin and I think steroid creams sort of wear down the skin and thin it even more.

I use the back of the thin end of a teaspoon to apply it, like the one on the left below with a narrowing end.

504px-Eggspoons+%25281%2529.jpg

This allows you to apply it to pin point spots, rather than a fat finger applying it everywhere. I have also used a plastic chopstick with a blunt end. The cap off a bic pen might work.

With steroid creams and dithrocream I found it does effect the normal skin much more if it is applied to it, I have seen them warn to be careful to apply it only to effected skin.

What? I use Dovabet on my face, it clears up in a few days.

You should stop immediately. I used the same on my face, on one small patch near my earlobe, and it gave me perioral dermatitis, which, like psoriasis, is a condition that derms don't know how to treat or what causes it, gets flared by stress and cold, and is chronic. I've had the PD now off and on for years. Stupid Dr. told me it was okay to use.

Used to have nearly perfect skin on my face, now I get bumps, redness and flakes all the time it's so depressing. It was all from using Dovobet on my face.

Seriously Google perioral dermatitis, causes, then image search for what it looks like. Dovobet is way too strong for your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Vaseline is having a very good effect on my leg on day 2, was looking at wound care websites and it has been recommended. Other moisturisers make my skin worse even eucurin but this is improving it. going to add in a saline rinse as well (1 teaspoon per 500 ml) ill let ye's know how it goes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

A reminder that medical advice is not permitted, and this includes telling another poster to stop using a treatment they have been prescribed.

shootermacg, if you do have concerns you are best discussing it with your doctor.

The skin on the face is much more sensitive than other areas and dovobet is a very potent steroid so it can damage the skin

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Mod note

A reminder that medical advice is not permitted, and this includes telling another poster to stop using a treatment they have been prescribed.

shootermacg, if you do have concerns you are best discussing it with your doctor.

Fair enough, but the main point of my post was to share what happened to me as a result of me using Dovobet on my face - it caused perioral dermatitis, a disfiguring, chronic condition that can't be permanently cured, and I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer it if they could avoid it. Having one incurable skin disease is bad enough!

Also, doctors may prescribe Dovobet for psoriasis, but the enclosed instructional pamphlet with the cream clearly states not to use it on the face, and steroid cream use on the face has been proven to trigger perioral dermatitis. That is a fact, not my opinion.

My doctor didn't tell me about this danger and actually said it would be okay to use on my face - despite the warnings that come in the pamphlet with the cream. I wish someone had warned me about it, would have saved me hundreds in failed treatments and a lot of heartache and frustration trying to cure the PD, which I've now had for five years.

• Advertisement

I don't want to be accused of back seat modding but I have to agree with clampdown. I am coming form the perspective of someone who has suffered with Psoriasis for the last 12 years, and used Dovobet for 10 of those along with almost every other treatment out there in between.

It clearly states in the patient information leaflet that Dovobet cannot be used on the face due to its potency and the results ar exactly as clampdown describes if you do.

Advertisement