Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I really enjoy the forum. Thanks to everyone involved.

My only suggestion would be to split the racing threads (both professional and amateur) into a subsection of their own. Separate the out general enquiries ie today there is a thread for a bike for a four year old next to a thread for the Worlds TT.

Thanks again to all mods and administrators. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Sorry if its been mentioned but I'd like to see a reviews or 'stuff i use thread'. Its handy to get feedback for stuff from other members before buying it and often the online review sites are biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The_Sub wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned but I'd like to see a reviews or 'stuff i use thread'. Its handy to get feedback for stuff from other members before buying it and often the online review sites are biased.

+1. The yacf forum has a good bike review section.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How is this going to work in practice? There are hundreds of bikes out there with variations on each part. One thread trying to encompass it all seems to miss the point as people may as well search the whole forum.

Will posters post comments on a particular bit of gear in the hope someone will find it useful, or does someone have to ask for feedback on something they are looking to buy?

Let's face it a large number of threads are started by an similarly large number of posters asking for recommendations or feedback on specific things they are looking at or for. Is this not simply merging all this into a single thread with no structure meaning it becomes a bit hit and miss?

I guess something like the external adverts thread. A set format in which people can post reviews (no chat or requests or 'what do people think of' threads, etc. Those can be new threads or PMs). The topics can be anything, bikes, clothing, parts, creams, whatever people use and what to post an opinion of.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I guess something like the external adverts thread. A set format in which people can post reviews (no chat or requests or 'what do people think of' threads, etc. Those can be new threads or PMs). The topics can be anything, bikes, clothing, parts, creams, whatever people use and what to post an opinion of.
    But that could run to many thousands of posts - how do people find what they are looking for, or do they in practice just start over again with a new query?

Well they can search within the thread for the item they are looking for, the formatting of the post is key to making it easy to find.

At least there is a starting point to check for instead of just searching the whole forum to see if someone else uses it or starting a new thread and hoping someone responds.

Even things like reporting on clothing fit/sizing are handy enough. This doesn't need to be a huge post just something simple.

Post Title: Product Review
    Item: Cree rechargeable bike light
    Price: 20€
    Source: ebay
    Date Bought: 1/1/2013
    Frequency of use: daily
    Pros: quick to charge, lasts 5 days based on 1 hour daily bike ride.
    Cons: heavy, can be too bright when driving in traffic.
    Opinion: Worth it given the price paid, something else.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Great forum, really enjoy it! Thanks to the mods, must take a fair bit of time to do the job and it's probably not thanked enough!

Only change I'd love that was mentioned is a ban on quoting pics in the pic-heavy threads. I love the likes of Velopeloton's photo collections, but I do not like having to scroll past the same 5 photos twice because someone wants to add a comment like "great pics" and quote them all!

g0g wrote: »
    Only change I'd love that was mentioned is a ban on quoting pics in the pic-heavy threads.
    We've tried to discourage it in one or two places already - I agree it probably make sense to discourage it everywhere. Not sure about an outright ban as that may require strict enforcement - sometimes things are quoted in a particular context and not seeing the whole picture may detract from that (say someone posts 5 images and someone else simply wants to highlight something from one of them then quoting that single image may help out). So maybe a policy of discouragement arther than a ban is the way forward on this

• Advertisement

Well they can search within the thread for the item they are looking for, the formatting of the post is key to making it easy to find.

At least there is a starting point to check for instead of just searching the whole forum to see if someone else uses it or starting a new thread and hoping someone responds.

Even things like reporting on clothing fit/sizing are handy enough. This doesn't need to be a huge post just something simple.

Post Title: Product Review
    Item: Cree rechargeable bike light
    Price: 20€
    Source: ebay
    Date Bought: 1/1/2013
    Frequency of use: daily
    Pros: quick to charge, lasts 5 days based on 1 hour daily bike ride.
    Cons: heavy, can be too bright when driving in traffic.
    Opinion: Worth it given the price paid, something else.....
    I just have this suspicion that a very large proportion of the stuff posted in such a thread will never be read in the context envisaged. Anyway, I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    We've tried to discourage it in one or two places already - I agree it probably make sense to discourage it everywhere. Not sure about an outright ban as that may require strict enforcement - sometimes things are quoted in a particular context and not seeing the whole picture may detract from that (say someone posts 5 images and someone else simply wants to highlight something from one of them then quoting that single image may help out). So maybe a policy of discouragement arther than a ban is the way forward on this
    Other forums do handle this problem by showing quoted pics as thumbnails, so it's arguably on for the devs rather than the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

This is a well-run, informative and (generally) friendly forum. There's not much I would change. The forum is very fortunate to have a group of mods who are hardworking, committed and helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

For someone who is interested in cycling as a form of transport rather than cycling as a sport, this forum is not great.

There was some talk in this thread about changing something but I'm not sure if anything changed.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056755344/1

For someone who is interested in cycling as a form of transport rather than cycling as a sport, this forum is not great.

There was some talk in this thread about changing something but I'm not sure if anything changed.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056755344/1
    The conclusion was that there was no need to create any new/additional forum. I woud say the vast majority of regulars within this forum do use cycling as a mode of transport. What specifically do you think this forum fails to deliver on that front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Thanks to all the mods! It's a great forum that I love reading and I hope you keep up the good work!

The only thing I would suggest is a racing/events sub forum where everything from sportives to racing (Pro and local races) can be covered. Stage threads should follow with Darkglasses' suggestions above.

Everything else is very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Great work by the mods. Only suggestion I have is that maybe some threads could be retitled. Where a poster has gone with a title of "A question", for example, the title could be changed to "Who has priority at this junction?", or whatever the poster is actually askng.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Great work by the mods. Only suggestion I have is that maybe some threads could be retitled. Where a poster has gone with a title of "A question", for example, the title could be changed to "Who has priority at this junction?", or whatever the poster is actually askng.

I have done it in the past when it was pointed out, feel free to report the OP in this case with a message explaining why the title should be changed and I will try and sort it out ASAP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

johnk123 wrote: »
    Thanks to all the mods! It's a great forum that I love reading and I hope you keep up the good work!

The only thing I would suggest is a racing/events sub forum where everything from sportives to racing (Pro and local races) can be covered. Stage threads should follow with Darkglasses' suggestions above.

This had been talked about before. I think the main issues were that we are instructed to have a minimal number of stickies and sub forums where possible. They push more stuff of the front page. You also find that forums with alot of sub forums tend to get less and less footfall over time and eventually the sub forums or the main forum dies off. I am not against it but I would worry that you would lose the nice mix of skills and experience from across the community if you go down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cram & mods in general.
    The events sub forum has come up a lot in the past and has always been rejected by mods for the reasons that you outline.

Maybe run a fixed trial and review - suggest a subforum from Jan 1 to end March.

You get a quiet period at beginning and then the roll into the rack g and leisure season.
    Spend April reviewing and come to a decision for remainder of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Cram & mods in general.
    The events sub forum has come up a lot in the past and has always been rejected by mods for the reasons that you outline.

Maybe run a fixed trial and review - suggest a subforum from Jan 1 to end March.

You get a quiet period at beginning and then the roll into the rack g and leisure season.
    Spend April reviewing and come to a decision for remainder of year.

First of all well done to the mods for a very well run forum. The reason I signed up to boards.

With regard to a sub forum I don't see the point as its not as if races/sportifs dominate the forum. Of course theres highs and lows but you don't have to click into a thread if you're not interested. Theres always enough other threads going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I really like the current forum and the way it's moderated. I wouldn't change it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I don't think there should be an events sub-forum. Those threads don't clog it up and I have learnt loads from them. Chief amongst it being I will never race A4!!
    Seriously though they're only ever informative. I would say the overwhelming majority of posters who race also commute so a separate forum wouldn't make sense either. Again there's loads of advice flying about in those threads, even though they're way above my skill/talent/racing level which is one of the reasons this forum is great. For example people posting about racing ras na mban was super interesting, same for other races. It's awesome to read personal experiences from that level. And national track champions ;) I see no reason for a divide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

This is a great forum, but if there was one thing I'd change I'd have a "Professional Cycling" sub-forum....

I'm a armchair fan(atic) but I don't really care about things like sportives or junior/amateur races here in Ireland, or indeed how to fix bits of a bike (I don't own a bike).

It would be nice to see discussions on pro-cycling without having to wade through the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I only recently joined Boards , but I have been reading this forum for a couple of months since I started cycling this year.
    So far it seems to be well managed and has been a great source of information.

Shakakan wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

This is a great forum, but if there was one thing I'd change I'd have a "Professional Cycling" sub-forum....

I'm a armchair fan(atic) but I don't really care about things like sportives or junior/amateur races here in Ireland, or indeed how to fix bits of a bike (I don't own a bike).

It would be nice to see discussions on pro-cycling without having to wade through the other stuff.

So this suggestion suits you as it removes any thread you have no interest in. If you extend that principle what about non professional racing? Should commuters have a separate forum? What about keeping bike reviews separate? Should we despatch helmet threads to somewhere where the majority will not have to witness them? How about a dedicated stolen bikes forum? There are plenty of areas where certain posters may wish there should be a dedicated forum or sub forum. Of course there is also the option of simply looking at the threads you are interested in and not bothering with those you are not.

If anyone really feels there should be additional forums or sub - forums, it is not for the mods to take any decisions. The mods may have some say but it's the Admins that take a decision on the matter. That is only on the back of a formal forum request in the dedicated forum. I would also add that any idea of trialling a new forum or sub - forum is also down to the Admins. I have not seen it done before but I guess there is no harm in asking if anyone one does decide to start a formal request. I would though say that based on what I've seen so far in this thread I am not sure any such request would get sufficient support to warrant further Admin consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

gadetra wrote: »
    I don't think there should be an events sub-forum. Those threads don't clog it up and I have learnt loads from them. Chief amongst it being I will never race A4!!
    Seriously though they're only ever informative. I would say the overwhelming majority of posters who race also commute so a separate forum wouldn't make sense either. Again there's loads of advice flying about in those threads, even though they're way above my skill/talent/racing level which is one of the reasons this forum is great. For example people posting about racing ras na mban was super interesting, same for other races. It's awesome to read personal experiences from that level. And national track champions ;) I see no reason for a divide.

Completely agree re the move to stop clogging up the forum. I'm much more in favour of less segregated fora. It's not like there's that much traffic and we could all do with info outside of our habitual interests.

In completely unrelated area: since it's been asked for feedback here I'll take the opportunity to advocate for two superficially antagonistic things.
    1. A far more strict policy on sexist, racist, homophobic posts. Casual sexism is profoundly damaging.
    2. A less legalistic forum. Because the censorious tone here is a microcosm of wider currents in irish society: ie it tends to serve the interests of a particular constituency at the expense of less powerful folk.

You did ask. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

slap/dash wrote: »
    A far more strict policy on sexist, racist, homophobic posts. Casual sexism is profoundly damaging.

Just to be clear, we don't tolerate this. Report any posts and they will be actioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Just to be clear, we don't tolerate this. Report any posts and they will be actioned.

I find your strictness sexy. Do I qualify for punishment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I find your strictness sexy. Do I qualify for punishment?

Only if you beg ......

Unless something substantial crops up in the meantime we'll aim at closing this thread on Friday. Hence if anyone has any further points to raise please fire away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Bans for anyone who says 'cycling' when they mean 'road cycling exclusively' (permanent if the following words are 'has a problem' :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

And the removal of all mind shredding, vomit inducing, face melting, profoundly upsetting hyperbole from every single last post would be the most awesome thing EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

To the Mods, stand up and take a bow please.

Some superb work on the forum. It is a friendly, incredibly informative and one stop shop for cycling information, encouragement and general banter.

I don't really have a whole lot to add in terms of improvements as in general, everything I want is visable. I suppose it wouldn't harm anyone to merge similar or same threads such as which bike, cycling events and a what to get when starting cycling etc although I'm sure these have been raised already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've only floated in recently to be honest. Roadie come mtber. I used to head straight to Motors when I came online but over the past six months have found myself here more so. Great moderation but even better user input. Rational, reasonable and mature discussions and sound advice. :)

Still trying to ID Beasty though for when I'm tearing up Pinnock Hill in the mornings :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I've got a real suggestion now.

Could we please add these links to the FAQ? 'Why is my elevation different?' comes up all the time and the answer is always the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

MugMugs wrote: »
    Still trying to ID Beasty though for when I'm tearing up Pinnock Hill in the mornings :p

He'll be the one in a full body cast - I read somewhere he had a crash.

And with that thread closed ....

We'll have a look through the comments made and get back with any changes to rules and/or approach

We've been discussing the points raised in the thread, and are proposing the following:

1. Spoiler rules - change these so current day info can be posted in the following day's stage specific thread.
    2. Move all requests/offers for entries into the likes of the ROK, SKT, WW200 etc into dedicated threads in the Cycling Adverts forum
    3. Move all requests/offers for discount codes into a dedicated thread in the main forum. We had considered using the Bargain Alerts thread but have noted some concern over that thread and its tendency to move away from its original purpose on occasions. Rather than cause any further concern by including discount codes we are thinking a dedicated thread for both requests and offers of such codes will be better
    4. Newbie thread - we are in agreement particularly as the Wiki was decommissioned some time ago. However it will need a lot of thought and we need to consider a bit more the precise format and how we start it off. We would hope it could extend to one or two other things suggested in the thread such as roadcraft/bike handling. However we feel it inappropriate to attempt to make such a thread too comprehensive. The world moves on and things within cycling change. People have different views on what is "best" and we have some interesting discussion on a variety of topics where we may never reach a consensus. That to me is a good thing as it encourages healthy debate. Hence we will probably stick to the basics. I would add that I personally think the newbie questions do help grow the forum. I've seen many posters (myself included) who start posting with very little knowledge of cycling, but gain confidence and over time start handing out the sort of advice that at one stage they would have been asking themselves
    5. We note the suggestion for a specific template for the stolen bike thread, but would also note that thread often attracts non-regulars to the forum and enforcement would probably be an issue. The OP does however already suggest some basic informatiuon that ideally should be provided
    6. We have already changed a few thread titles to discourage quoting of images. However we are not proposing an outright ban at this stage. We may though continue to edit out quotes of embedded images in some threads. Where very large images are posted we will tend to replace them with links to the host site
    7. Suggestions have been made for further links in the FAQs and we will consider these
    8. We had 3 different suggestions of new sub-forums. As I have already pointed out there is a process to go through if anyone does want any new sub-forum(s). Although mods may get a say on such proposals it's ultimately down to the Admins as to which proposals get implemented. However based on what we've seen in this thread there appears no pressing desire for any specific sub-forums, and it would appear that none of the mod team are supportive of moving anything more than we already have out of the main forum

We're re-opening this thread for a few days to give posters a chance to comment further on these proposals. Please though do not use this as an opportunity to raise any new issues not already mentioned in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Personally I would like a sub forum just for upcoming events, I find it pretty hard to find events that may be upcoming, usually the posters here are the best people for information on this.

I understand mods can't do anything on this (as stated above) but is there a point one or two people formally requesting it if the general consensus is that it's not needed?

As for everything else, I think the mods are doing a bang up job which is helped by the type of posters here, anyone who doesn't think so should take a stroll over to the soccer forum! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Really like the idea of the newbie thread. It will be great for new cyclists like myself to gain some valuable advice from experienced cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Just to echo everyone's praise on how great this forum is, no matter what level you are at - there's something to be gotten from this cycling forum. The amount of info I have subconsciously acquired from reading threads over the years is frightening staggering.

Thankfully there seem to be a good few female cyclists posting here, both as newbies and more advanced, giving a female voice to questions on women's racing, ras na mBan, cyclocross, sportives, clothing, saddles, bikes, commuting - whatever. The guys (often more than the girls) always offer decent advice too - which is very welcome.
    I wish there were a few more female posters, but that's up to the female cyclists to start posting.

With regards to racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ immature crap, whenever I venture over into other forums on boards it becomes very apparent how well this cycling forum is monitored.
    So big up and thankyou to the Mods for that - that goes for most posters on this forum too.

Slap/dash is correct in that casual racist/ sexist/ homophobic comments (usually in the guise of 'jokes') are damaging and can be off putting to people who might otherwise enjoy using this forum. Thankfully this forum is usually void of that - whilst also keeping humour going = good balance.
    There's been the odd image/ comment I feel could have been dealt with better - but that was up to me to report it and I didn't.

I notice that sometimes (not often) a newbie can ask a question and be shot down with a smart arse reply - perhaps that puts lurkers off posting for fear it may happen to them?
    In that respect a Newbie section might be good, but I think the amount of info gathered without having a newbie section is second to none.
    The advice provided on here covers all, and demonstrates a real genuine support and enthusiasm for all involved in cycling reagrdless of gender/ age/ ability - so that's grounds for not separating anything into sub forums.

Good luck with that decsion mods!

Oh also - the Cycling ads section is excellent too.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I understand mods can't do anything on this (as stated above) but is there a point one or two people formally requesting it if the general consensus is that it's not needed?
    As this is the only oustanding question I'll try and address it

The forum request forum has set rules before a request will be considered by the Admins. Basically once a request is started the "yes" vote must exceed the "no" vote by 18 within 6 weeks. If that happens it may then go onto the next stage of the process which is consideration by the Admins. Even if the vote is clearly in favour that does not guarantee a forum or sub-forum will be created and the Admins have the final say on the matter.

Hence a couple of votes will definitely not get further consideration and there must be quite a number more in favour than against

With that I'm closing and unstickying this thread. We'll let you know when we update the charter for the suggestions made and will have a further think about how to introduce things like a newbie thread

Just a quick update

The Charter has been updated to reflect the slightly amended spoiler rules. It also specifies that event requests and offers be consolidated within single "event" threads in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum

A dedicated Vouchers an Discount codes thread is up and running

On the question of a newbie thread I'm going to open that up for suggestions as to what should be covered. I will start a separate thread for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement