Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin express now syncs with strava...

• 04-08-2014 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

....at long last! You can directly link your garmin express account to your strava account now, just upload to garmin website or sync with garmin express and data will appear on strava within 5 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I tried this today but it didn't work. I think this is maybe because I uploaded to Garmin before signing up to the option to sync on Strava. It looks like it works for new activities and doesn't sync retrospectively - which makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

where did you sign up for the sync? cant see it on either site

EDIT- FOUND IT JUST CLICK UPLOAD ON STRAVA THEN GARMIN, YOU WILL BE PROMPTED TO SYNC THEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I think both sites are overwhelmed last night as after three hours my new Garmin hadn't synced and I had to do it manually.

At least im hoping that's what it was. Otherwise ill get pissed off with the Garmin fairly rapidly if I have to do this all the time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

where do you go to turn on the feature? I cant seem to find it?

Also does this mean that when I upload a ride using my 810 via my phone it will appear on strava in a couple of minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

godtabh wrote: »
    where do you go to turn on the feature? I cant seem to find it?

Also does this mean that when I upload a ride using my 810 via my phone it will appear on strava in a couple of minutes?

When you go to sync your garmin on the strava website it should now give you an option to sync with garmin, and yes, it will update on strava when you use your 810 via your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I think you need to first update your Garmin Express to ver 3.2.16.0 (click settings / check for application updates)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Nothing showing for me, on version 3.2.17.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Out of interest, what are people still using their garmin accounts for?
    I used to create courses on garmin but only ever upload rides to strava.
    Now I can create courses on strava, my garmin account has become dormant.
    Why use both ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

I logged in to GC today for the first time in years today to sync it to Strava. This new GC is looking very slick.
    Still don't think i'll use it though. I find manual upload to Strava to be the quickest and most reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Why use both ?

Garmin site gives some different data and reports, can also compare rides.

I find if you create a ride on the garmin site it's more stable on the edge 500. If I create one on the strava site there's regular times on the ride where the route will disappear for a few minutes on the screen, usually as you near a turn!

Also handy to have rides backup, less necessary now with better cloud storage options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Why use both ?
    Why not use both? A little redundancy never hurt anyone. I'm interested to see how Connect's segments develop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Why use both ?

Backup + follow a work colleague who doesn't use Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭conkennedy

If you've synced your phone to your garmin so it automatically uploads the the garmin connect site and sync the garmin site to your strava account, it works seamlessly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm using https://tapiriik.com/ to automatically link Garmin, Strava and Endomondo accounts, for a few months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Alek wrote: »
    I'm using https://tapiriik.com/ to automatically link Garmin, Strava and Endomondo accounts, for a few months now.

This is deadly - thanks for the recommendation! Now everything talks to each other - Strava, Garmin, Myfitnesspal, Ridewithgps and Runkeeper. Between all that and Veloviewer I'll be lucky to get any work (or cycling) done...

Although you're not helping my geeky data addiction at all. The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Although you're not helping my geeky data addiction at all.

You're welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Out of interest...Why use both ?

'cos I seem to be faster on Garmin - sad I know. :o:o

But Strava is a cooler site and it links to Veloviewer which has some nice analytics - even sadder :o:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've got my Garmin Connect account setup to automatically forward files to Strava and Training Peaks. So I just connect my Garmin Edge 500 to the PC and the Garmin Sync application uploads to Garmin Connect and within minutes, it is then replicated in the other sites.

Only problem is I then go into Garmin Connect to type in the comments for a particular session and save it but it does not then send updates to Strava and Training Peaks so they don't include the comments. Not a major issue, but I use them each for different things at different times and if a syncing job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Does https://tapiriik.com/ re-sync once comments are saved? If so, I'd turn off the syncing on the Garmin site and let https://tapiriik.com/ take care of all syncing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I've got my Garmin Connect account setup to automatically forward files to Strava and Training Peaks. So I just connect my Garmin Edge 500 to the PC and the Garmin Sync application uploads to Garmin Connect and within minutes, it is then replicated in the other sites.

Only problem is I then go into Garmin Connect to type in the comments for a particular session and save it but it does not then send updates to Strava and Training Peaks so they don't include the comments. Not a major issue, but I use them each for different things at different times and if a syncing job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Does https://tapiriik.com/ re-sync once comments are saved? If so, I'd turn off the syncing on the Garmin site and let https://tapiriik.com/ take care of all syncing.

the syncing job is doing it job right, the upload is synced not your further edits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

stecleary wrote: »
    the syncing job is doing it job right, the upload is synced not your further edits

yup, it's likely the gpx/tcx file that is sent which does not include the ability to store the comments.not really the fault of the sync if that is the case

• Advertisement
Advertisement