Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping at traffic lights

Options
  • 06-09-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I know it's a small thing, but I feel I need to vent on this.

I cycle at a decent pace even though I own a hybrid and not a road bike (big mistake on my part in the first place). I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

What bugs the **** out of me, is when I have passed a number of slower cyclists and then eventually come to a red light, they feel the need to skip ahead of me at the lights, which results in me having to wait behind them again until it is safe to pass them out. This of course is only the case for the ones that obey the traffic lights in the first place.

Does anybody else have this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I do all my overtaking at traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

It annoys the hell out of me too.
    It is usually the slowest cyclists that do the skipping too.

The only way to stop it is to make sure you stop right at the junction so there is no room for them to skip you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

techdiver wrote: »

I cycle at a decent pace even though I own a hybrid and not a road bike (big mistake on my part in the first place). I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

What bugs the **** out of me, is when I have passed a number of slower cyclists and then eventually come to a red light, they feel the need to skip ahead of me at the lights, which results in me having to wait behind them again until it is safe to pass them out. This of course is only the case for the ones that obey the traffic lights in the first place.

Although I think to do this, I am not yet at the point where I catch up on those that go through the lights and ask them if they think they are decorations, so those skipping me at the traffic lights is way down on the list of things that bug the s**t out of me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Suppose I make a couple of alterations to your statement

I drive at a decent pace even though I own a hybrid and not a diesel car (big mistake on my part in the first place). I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

You can only feel aggrieved if you've provided other road users with the same courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Suppose I make a couple of alterations to your statement

I drive at a decent pace even though I own a hybrid and not a diesel car (big mistake on my part in the first place). I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

You can only feel aggrieved if you've provided other road users with the same courtesy.

I <3 Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

By and large, in my experience, there's a large proportion
    of cyclists who have no road manners.
    Yes it is annoying and yes it happens to all of us...

J

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Welcome to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

...they feel the need to skip ahead of me at the lights...

Commuter race is on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If I'm driving, cars don't tend to try and squeeze past you in the same lane and sit in front of you again.

It's very annoying. I passed some guy the other day, he went around me at the lights. Went round him again, but not before his poorly maintained bike skipped a gear and nearly sent him sideways into traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

90% of cyclists pass out 90% of the cyclists they meet on their commute. You'll have to try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes, I find it amusing - especially when one skips ahead, then the next one arrives and skips ahead of them and so the stupidity rolls on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The most amusing part of shoaling is all the eejits who've gone out beyond the stop line and can't see the lights change and are left floundering in the middle of the junction when the traffic starts moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

+1 on this.

Does my head in, and they you have to try ang get around them safely only for them to do it again at the next set of lights :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Sorry, what are traffic lights?!

West Cork Resident

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

West Cork Resident

It's a Jackeen thing

That happens most mornings on my commute at this junction

Not only do the idiots my fellow cyclists miss the lights - they quite often get caught by the flow of traffic and can't get across to make the right turn off the flyover :)

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

West Cork Resident

They are like things that stop traffic - not unlike the road block you lot used to shoot Michael Collins :P

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Maybe they're just taking a pull on the front - but very unfortunately their laudable efforts are frustrated by the traffic lights.

Every time.

And by the time the lights change its your turn again.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jawgap wrote: »
    That happens most mornings on my commute at this junction
    I was just thinking of that junction. It can be a bit awkward alright.

The left lane has a turn left only filter which means staying in the right behind motorised traffic or pulling up in front of the first vehicle.

If you wait ahead of the first car you cannot see the lights (no light at far end of junction) but if you don't you end up losing momentum for the short sharp climb and rapid need to move across to the right for the turn to Dublin.

(Jawgap - I see someone has created a Strava segment there and we both have the same times. Presumable it must have been one of the few occasions the lights were green on approach as they always seem to be red there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

I was just thinking of that junction. It can be a bit awkward alright.

The left lane has a turn left only filter which means staying in the right behind motorised traffic or pulling up in front of the first vehicle.

If you wait ahead of the first car you cannot see the lights (no light at far end of junction) but if you don't you end up losing momentum for the short sharp climb and rapid need to move across to the right for the turn to Dublin.

(Jawgap - I see someone has created a Strava segment there and we both have the same times. Presumable it must have been one of the few occasions the lights were green on approach as they always seem to be red there).

Yeah, hate that junction, but don't you feel it's your lucky day whenever you get a green light and you can power up it? ::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The actions of one Shoaling RLJer on the way home had my brain playing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon theme tune with the modified lyrics of 'Headphoned Lesbian Red Light Jumpers, Headphoned Lesbian Red Light Jumpers, Headphoned Lesbian Red Light Jumper, Shoaler on a hipster bike. Shoaler power!'

Bad brain, baaad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It's the same folk who don't wear helmets either and ride those stupid bikes with baskets on the back at 1 mile an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They are like things that stop traffic - not unlike the road block you lot used to shoot Michael Collins :P

?
    his own lot shot him!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

?
    his own lot shot him!

Mods? Transfer to History Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Technically ... NO ... as that would imply Im an Irish citizen which I'm not ... resident, yes, citizen, no. ;)

?
    his own lot shot him!

Yes, Cork people shot him - in the back too.

The only decent rebel ever to come out of the 'so-called' Rebel County and they shot him.

Here they are laughing about it :D:D:D:D

queenelizabethcorkmarket.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What bugs the **** out of me, is when I have passed a number of slower cyclists and then eventually come to a red light, they feel the need to skip ahead of me at the lights, which results in me having to wait behind them again until it is safe to pass them out.

I know you're joking, but to take this seriously for a moment, out in front is the safest place for cyclists; it's the place where they know the drivers behind will see them. I normally turn around and give a wave to the driver behind, and as soon as the lights change I scoot ahead (with a frightened glance for terror racers breaking the lights across me) and get out of their way immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Same thing happened this morning to me - a cyclist (yes, basket on bike) tried to weave around me and another cyclist as we were stopped at the lights. Thing was, the lights turned green just before she weaved around me, so I nearly crashed into her. Why O why do the slow cyclists need to go to up to the lights? My solution from now on, is to go up to the front myself. (Ahhhh... vented .. now I can start my day :-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Hate it when a "serious" cyclist on a "racer" gets in front of me (on mountain bike) at the red lights.
    Yeah, eventually he'll reach a higher top speed than me, but with his fewer and taller gears he'll take a bloody age getting there.
    And as for fixies...

Advertisement