Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbs in Cork

Options
  • 31-10-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone know of an 8% climb around cork city area that would take approx 6 or more minutes to climb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Dublin Hill? I don't have a gradient sensor thing, and I'm not on Strava, but I'm guessing it's not far off 8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Seconded on Dublin Hill. Not quite 8% but the Windy from the Thady Inn side might be suitable.

Have a look on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You mean out Cloughduv way? That's a long way from the city centre.

I was thinking about the climb from Kinsale roundabout up to the airport. That's a good steady gradient. Kind of like the embankment out of Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you did go out as far as the Thady inn, then you're spoilt for choice being in a Valley.

Actually, if Ballincollig was handy for you I reckon this would be perfect. Easily 6 minutes and easily 8% average

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8872784,-8.6365996,3a,75y,306.25h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRZ3900hqzlrS3mKsQ71NJQ!2e0?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

fat bloke wrote: »
    You mean out Cloughduv way? That's a long way from the city centre.

I was thinking about the climb from Kinsale roundabout up to the airport. That's a good steady gradient. Kind of like the embankment out of Tallaght.
    That's only 4% unfortunately, maybe Barnavarra in Glanmire? 8.8% on strava. Not sure is it long enough though.

• Advertisement

You are obviously looking for a hill to match a training programme/intervals/reps/training advice. I dont think you will get an exact 6 minute @ 8% so best to pick a section, maybe not an entire climb, that fits it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

There's a few going up from Ballygarvan towards the airport that might fit the bill.

The glen road climb back up towards the airport..not quite 8% but a 6 minute job (at full tilt!)

Bring your lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

8% average for 6 minutes is a pretty substantial climb, depending on how quickly you can climb obviously. There are very few places that I can think of close to town that spring to mind that would reach that criteria. What sort of level are you at? Some of the 4.30/5min KOM's around might be a 6 or more minute climb for you which could open up some options.

Tibbotstown outside Carrigtwohill. It's 7.9 'average' but the reality is steeper and more shallow sections http://www.strava.com/segments/652203

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Killahora outside carrigtohill near the new amber garage.
    It looks innocent from the road but very tough after the first hundred yards.
    Any of the hills off the glounthane road are tough.
    A training run around those hills would get you where you wanna go.
    I recommend starting up killahora then go left and keep going straight along that road up and down the hills til you get to glanmire then up barnavara hill for the finish.

• Advertisement

knipper wrote: »
    Killahora outside carrigtohill near the new amber garage.
    It looks innocent from the road but very tough after the first hundred yards.
    Any of the hills off the glounthane road are tough.
    A training run around those hills would get you where you wanna go.
    I recommend starting up killahora then go left and keep going straight along that road up and down the hills til you get to glanmire then up barnavara hill for the finish.

Is that not windsor hill? sections of 15+%? I think the OP is looking for a specific length of x% rather than just blasting away up as long a climb as he can find!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Not sure where windsor hill is. Killahora is the hill just a few yards from the garage.
    My mistake about the gradients.
    Not on strava so don't know the gradients of where I cycle I just try get up the toughest climbs when I can.
    Just my two cents.

Advertisement